PDA

View Full Version : excited and nervous

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SunsetSXM
Sun, Apr-09-06, 18:52
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the Atkins lifestyle. I started Atkins last Thursday, so its day 4 for me now. I'm trying to get through induction as strictly as possible. After induction though, I do plan to incorporate good carbs back into my life and hopefully make this eatting habit permanent while maintaining my weight.

In terms of ketosis, its different from person to person, but on average, how long until I actually see results through ketosis?

Great to be here.

Paleoanth
Sun, Apr-09-06, 19:57
Welcome!

You will know you are in ketosis when you have a horrid taste in your mouth. Nice, huh? It should take only a few days, so it should be soon.

miked1207
Sun, Apr-09-06, 20:29
The bad taste in one's mouth is a definate. I started last Saturday and by Monday the taste had moved in! I've almost grown to like b/c it represents the death of my old self! I don't like it THAT much though, is there any way to combat this? Prior to starting this endeavor, I went through a pack of gum a day b/c I am in love with spearmint but havent had any since the start date. It seems like most gum/mints have carbs. Any suggestions for dealing with the nasty taste/breath? Thanks (and welcome to our newest member)

emily30
Sun, Apr-09-06, 20:35
Any suggestions for dealing with the nasty taste/breath? Thanks (and welcome to our newest member)

Brush your teeth often and drink loads of water. I find eating a small celery stick temporarily helps too.

miked1207
Sun, Apr-09-06, 20:44
Thanks Emily, I've been drinking between 120 oz - 160 oz per day and have probably worn out a path in the carpet between my desk and the restroom at work! I'll give the celery trick a go though, sounds like a tasty option. Thanks again.

mike_d
Sun, Apr-09-06, 21:10
Never had much of a problem. I used parsley as recommended in Dr. Atkins first book. Watercress and parsley keep well and are high in potassium too.

ardentluma
Mon, Apr-10-06, 07:54
I usually don't notice the bad taste in my mouth. But sometimes it's there, so I just drink water.