PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm Lettuce

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 10:21
Does anyone know why we are limited to only 3 cups of lettuce/daily during indcuction? Can this be bypassed? It would just be really easy to have a few salads during the day but 3 cups of lettuce is not much! Thanks

Elizellen
Wed, Apr-05-06, 10:28
I think it was partly because Dr Atkins wanted us to learn portion control as well!
But remember that the list of allowed vegetables is not just lettuce but includes cucumbers, peppers, summer squash, tomatoes, onions, jicama, turnips, broccolli, cauliflower, pumpkin, rhubarb etc etc.
You can have 2-3 cups of some and 1 cup of some of them if you have only 2 cups from the first list.
Try not to only eat lettuce as the other vegetables have much more 'body' and goodness in them!

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:20
And, when you eat lettuce......don't buy the "head" of lettuce. From what I've read, they have no nutritional value. Buy the romainne lettuce or something along those lines. Have you ever tried a salad with baby spinach, mushrooms, and a few slices of red onion? That's pretty good also.

Patty

Jenn123
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:52
Also keep in mind that the more lettuce you eat, the more dressing you're going to need to put on it and THAT can add up in carbs. :)

I limit dressing by having it on the side, dipping my fork into it first then spearing the lettuce and eating it that way rather than drizzling it or tossing the salad. Cuts my dressing consumption in half without ANY suffering, and I don't even eat that much dressing to begin with.

caitietee
Wed, Apr-05-06, 13:50
I have to say that the only carbs I really get are from lettuce, a little cheese and a little half and half. If you count your carbs, then have as much lettuce as you can fit in! I wouldn't bug out if you have two big salads one day, but I would try to level it off the next day. I have had success (I have lost 7 pounds in 17 days and I was on vacation in FL last Thurs-Sun and I was not trying to 'hide' my diet, but I did eat more salad than I do at home! I think this is a lot considering I was already on a low cal intake diet and I only have 15 more to lose) not stressing out about salads, but if I have say 22 carbs one day, I will aim for 18 the next. It's a little technique I learned from WW. I look at it as I have 40 carbs for every 2 days, that gives you some breathing room, especially if you go out to eat and the only option is a chicken ceasar salad!!

droyle150
Wed, Apr-05-06, 14:18
I love my iceberg lettuce drenched in olive oil!!! I'd be happy to eat nothing else but all day long! :yum:

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 17:44
Thanks for the feedback everybody, I really appreciate it!