PDA

View Full Version : recipe for shell maker

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnaj
Sun, Jan-06-02, 10:31
Karen,
I got a shell maker for Christmas and wonder if you had any ideas what time of dough I could use in it.
Thanks in advance. :wave:

Karen
Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:38
donna, what exactly is a shell maker?

Karen

donnaj
Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:07
Shell maker is a machine that allow you to use pastry to make little tarts. It is made by beck and decker. It bakes them. You can use biscuit, crest rolls, bread, cornbread etc. I was just wondering if you have a recipe for lo carb biscuit or pastry recipe.
Thanks in advace. :wave:

Karen
Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:26
Check out the pie recipes here:

Low Carb Luxury (http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-desserts.html)

One thing to keep in mind is lowcarb substitutes might not work in a device made for high carb ingredients.

When I want to make something from the "old days", I have had to realize that some stuff will just not work. I can make a cookie out of whey protein, but it will never be as good as a cookie with flour and sugar. I can make a carrot cake out of pork rinds and daikon, but it won't be the same as a real carrot cake.

Because of this, I focus on sweets that will taste really good and have a good texture, so I focus on things like creamy and gelitan desserts.

I would rather not eat low carb substitutes for high carb things because a) they are usually way too carby and will trigger me into binging and b) they are a pale imitation of the real thing. In other words, YUK!

Karen

donnaj
Sun, Jan-06-02, 17:40
Thanks Karen for replying to my post. Yes, your right that low carb substitute never compare to the higher stuff. I will look on the site and surf the web for a recipe. I don't plan to use it for awhile because like you kindly reminded me it does more harm than good. Thanks for reminding me because that my downfall the last time I was on Atkins. :wave:

donnaj
Sun, Jan-13-02, 12:42
Karen,
I found a recipe for low carb biscuit and it work out great. I made the shells and then filled them with scrambled eggs and sausage or ham and placed a slice of cheddar on top and nuke it until it melted. They were wonderful. Only 3 carbs for one shell.
I am going to try a low carb pastry latter on. Thanks again. :wave:

Karen
Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:45
Great! Do you have a link and a source for the recipe? Others may have a shell maker and be wondering the same thing. :D

Karen

donnaj
Sun, Jan-13-02, 19:35
Karen,
I used this recipe and placed each cut biscuit into the shell maker and baked until golden brown. I used a egg wash over each before baking. Here is the recipe I used.
Low Carb Biscuits – from Dr. Bill

(modified from Betty Crocker cookbook - any biscuit recipe would work with the proper substitutions)

2 cups 12% non-additive, wheat gluten flour from health food store (24 carb grams/cup)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/8 cup cream
3/8 cup water (combine cream and water to make three quarters cup "milk" substitute)

Preheat oven to 450. Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening thoroughly - should resemble meal. Stir in almost all of the milk. If dough is not pliable, add just enough milk to make a puffy, easy to roll dough. (Too much milk makes dough sticky, not enough makes biscuits dry - I used all of it).

Make a ball of dough and place on lightly floured surface. Knead 20-25 times or about one half minute. Roll out dough to about one half inch thickness. (Note, it takes a little more effort since gluten is a "binder" - just roll harder). Cut with a floured cutter (a glass rim will work fine) and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Betty says this makes about 16 1 and 3/4 inch biscuits.

the site is :http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/BakedGoods.html#_Toc461013207 :wave:

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:33
My problem is I can't use wheat or wheat gluten. I've tried many other flours, but so far the only one that's settled right with me is soy flour. Problem is...all the soy flour recipes need or use wheat in some way. Any ideas where I could find a recipe with no wheat used?

Gabrielle

donnaj
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:10
Welcome Gabrielle to the fourmn. I am also trying to find a substute. I will work on it this weekend and come up with something for us. I want to make some desserts for valentine day and I thought the shells with whipped cream cheese with a touch of rum and top if off with strawberry would be a nice dessert. So, I promise to have something by Sunday.
Donna :wave:

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:16
donnaj,

Thank you for the welcome. Someone suggested I might try soy and almond flour to cook with. Maybe these will help you too?

Gabrielle

donnaj
Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:33
Gabrille,
I use almond flour for everything. I love it. I made mini muffins with it and they turned out beautifly and delicous. My sister ate one and she said now she can live with this WOL. I am going to use the flour with some butter shortening and pinch of salt in the shell maker. I let you know how the turn out. Have a great evening.

Gabrielle
Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:38
That sounds great. Would you mind sharing with me that muffin recipe? Sounds great. :)

Gabrielle

donnaj
Sat, Feb-09-02, 04:51
Basic Muffin:
1 cup of almond meal
2 package of splenda(or sweetened to taste)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanlla
2 teaspoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon cinamon
2 teaspoon of pumpkin
1 egg

Blend everything together and place mixture into butter mini cupcakes tin or mini bunt pans. Bake at 350 degree until brown.

One thing about these you can be creative by just using
almond meal,egg, splenda, baking powder, and cream. You could add any spice or syrups to change them. I made peanut butter and chocolate last night. But they need a little more splenda because of the chocolate. I used a teaspoon of De Vinci no sugar carmel syrup instead of vanilla. Make frosting by using 1 teaspoon of cream cheese, package of splenda, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and a little carmel syrup to thin it. It really hit the spot. Hope you enjoy....

Gabrielle
Sat, Feb-09-02, 13:39
That does sound good. :)