PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

caitietee
Wed, Apr-05-06, 08:11
Anyone go from doing caffeine to giving it up and noticed a big difference? My mother and I use caffeine every morning, but I don't want it to slow my weight loss! I haven't had any yet today and my head is killing me!! Is it worth it to give up something I truly love?

Thanks!

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 09:46
Hi there, I've only been on doing the induction for 5 days so I'm brand new but everything I've read seems to indicate that it's ok to drink coffee. It appears that you should calc .8 carbs/6oz coffee plus whatever you put in it. I'm told the packets of splenda are = to 1 carb. I believe that Dr. Atkins suggested trying to avoid coffee b/c it may cause a spike in sugar and make you feel somewhat hungry afterwards. I can tell you that I've had 1 large coffee on 3 of the 5 days thus far and things are going well. I'm used to drinking alot of coffee so this is a major reduction for me. A lot of folks seem to suggest switching to decaf. Hope this helps! Good Luck

Symphonyod
Wed, Apr-05-06, 11:43
You will find a marked difference in your energy level whne you are over your withdrawl symptoms!!! I quit caffiene a while back and I couldn't believe the amount of energy I had on my OWN! Good luck!

emily30
Wed, Apr-05-06, 11:48
I have to admit, I haven't kicked the caffine habit all together yet. I do hear others say they feel much better for doing so. I have opted to make mine with half decaf and half regular coffee. I am trying to wean myself slowly.

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:04
Instead of cutting all your caffeine out at one time, try doing what Emily is doing. Use 1/2 real coffee and 1/2 decaf and then 3/4 decaf and 1/4 real coffee. This way you'll be doing it slowly and you won't get those headaches. Hope this helps.

Patty

caitietee
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:08
I have to admit going cold turkey was daunting and I had a cup today. I will try that tomorrow though. The 1/2 caf 1/2 decaf. Always another day to improve!

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:17
Do that for a couple of days and then try 3/4 decaf and 1/4 coffee. This way it will give your body time to adjust to the change. When I kicked caffeine, it wasn't because I was low carbing. My husband had had a heart attack and the doctor told him NO CAFFEINE!! I never attributed the headaches to giving up caffeine.....lol. Now, if I drink real coffee........I get a headache. Same with my husband.

Good luck!!

Patty

caitietee
Thu, Apr-06-06, 07:46
Just mentioning that I had my coffee 1/2 caf and 1/2 decaf and no headache! Thank you for your help!

Ptrcmcc6
Thu, Apr-06-06, 14:45
Very glad to hear that!!

Patty