PDA

View Full Version : 5th day and SUDDENLY HUNGRY NONSTOP!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 07:46
Hi everyone,
thanks very much for the repsonses to my previous posts. I've got another question for you all. I'm only on my 5th day of induction (8lbs lost) and I've been following the Atkins induction rules to the tee. Only variation is I may have gotten up to 21 or 22 cars on 1 or 2 of the days but based on the sample induction meal plan, that didnt appear to be a problem. ANYWAY, after not being remotely hungry for most of the first 4 days and feeling somewhat "out of sorts" physically (stomach ache, pain in my side, slightly nauseated, headaches - I attribute this to induction flu), I found that by yesterday afternoon I felt much better overall. HOWEVER, hunger has seemingly returned. I was so hungry last night and continue on this morning. I had to grill 2 chick breasts at 11pm last night to satiate the hunger pangs but my stomach was still growling. Woke up this am and made 3 eggs scrambled, 4 slices of microwave bacon, and another chicken breast. although I was full, about 10 min later my stomach started growling! Is this normal? Please let me know if you need more details. I'm just surprised b/c I felt so full the first 3 days. Thanks in advance. I really believe this is going to work for me and feel like this is my last chance to lose weight and keep it off. I'm so tired of dropping 60 lbs and then gradually putting it right back on!

bkloots
Wed, Apr-05-06, 07:57
First of all, be sure that what you're feeling is hunger, and not just rumbling. Sometimes it takes your system a little while to register satiety, and if you feel "full," you probably are. Are you taking your time at the table?

If you feel hungry after a couple of hours, eat a legal snack. And be sure you're getting enough fat in your menu--not just bacon fat, but also mayo, butter, a little cream perhaps, cream cheese, salad dressings. You might consider adding some of your veggie carbs at breakfast: mushrooms, onion or sweet pepper in the eggs, for instance.

I'm tired of being a yo-yo, too. Now that I've been living LC for three years, maintaining for one, I'm more convinced each day that LC is the weight management strategy that works for me. That's a powerful and hopeful feeling. Best wishes on the journey.

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 08:29
Thanks for replying so promptly Barbara! I appreciate your time. I'm pretty sure it's hunger, in fact I think I felt my stomach digesting my spleen on my way home from school last night! You may be on to something regarding the fats. I didn't have very much yesterday, maybe that was the reason? I'll try what you are suggesting. About the inclusion of veggies in an omelette, etc - I love veggies and wanted to do just what you are saying but I thought that onions and sweet peppers were pretty carb intensive? I find myself worried about taking up too many carbs TOO early and then being maxed out before dinner, etc. One more thing for you if you don't mind. I have a lot of weight to lose (approx 65 lbs) and i was wondering if you felt it was safe to stay in the induction period for longer than the prescribed 2 weeks. I'd like to stay in for at least 4 weeks but am not sure what the protocol dictates! Sorry to be so long winded! thanks again

foxgluvs
Wed, Apr-05-06, 08:57
Hi Mike, maybe ican answer some of your questions.

If you're feeling genuinely hungry (could be thirst too, dehydration makes you hungry) then eat more fat. Add in more protien and fat into your diet, that way you won't mess up your carb count for the day. If you're feeling genuine hunger then it's probably a good thing, it'll be your metabolism fireing up and making you feel hungry because it's burning more fat, which is a good thing.

Secondly, you can safely stay on induction for a couple of months, but I would suggest that you take the first 4 weeks and then gradually move up the carb ladder, if you leave it too long (like I did) it becomes difficult to see yourself ever moving into more carbs and that can be counter productive.
Good luck!

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 10:12
Thanks for the info. I'll try to incorporate more fats, I think I'm probably coming up short on that. I'm not a big mayo fan, but do enjoy the occasional stick of butter (just kidding). I'll probably take your advice and just stay on the induction for a month and then move on. Just want to maximize my results. Thanks for your reply and advice.

mike_d
Wed, Apr-05-06, 11:13
Sounds like you are eating enough. I think fat is important too. I had hunger on day 5, woke me in the middle of the night. It should only last a couple of days. If you think you are not using up bodyfat try the keto sticks morning and evening.

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:27
thanks Mike, where can I buy the keto strips? I assume a drug store, but which section do you find something like that normally?

Jenn123
Wed, Apr-05-06, 12:46
Ketostix are intended for diabetics, so ask for that section when you go to the drugstore. :)

Regarding hunger, I found that when I got like that I'd eat a LOT (as in thousands of calories) of just meat and eggs. I'd completely cut out all carbs and processed food for a day or two. Fry up a steak, cook some ribs, whatever you want as long as it's clean meat and egg. This keeps you FULL, but also ensures you'll lose weight. Sometimes if you merely up the bacon and processed stuff, or make bigger salads with more dressing, it fills you up but you don't lose so it can be discouraging. Just a suggestion. :)

Lastly, you speak about being able to lose but not maintain. That's most peoples' problem! I feel I've perfected the maintenance phase, at least for myself. I love bread and pasta. That's my weakness, and let's face it, I ain't cutting them out for any longer than necessary, and I'm NOT replacing them with Low Carb pseudo-breads and pseudo-pastas. So what do you do when you want to eat whatever you want, as much as you want, whenever you want but don't want to get back up to where you started? Simple! Don't LET yourself!

Rather than saying "I'm going to stick to low carb forever" and then cheating (because you will) periodically, perhaps when you reach goal try eating for a day or two, weigh yourself, and if you've gained a couple pounds simply low carb for a few days to a week before eating whatever you want again. No one will notice if you gain 3 to 5 pounds, you will STILL fit into your clothes, and the best part is any "dieting" you do now will forever be a short term thing.

A couple caveats: I'm not a junk food eater by nature. So for me, having some whole wheat spaghetti or a multigrain bagel with real cream cheese is "cheating". I don't stuff myself with junk food, and if you tend to then this would be bad for you from purely a HEALTH perspective (even though it would still work from a weight maintenance perspective). Also, you really have to be disciplined to get down to business and lose those 3 to 5 pounds as soon as you catch them (weigh daily). If you don't, that's when it adds up! It's EASY to lose <5lbs! We can all do it in a week or less! But let that become 50lbs, and all of a sudden you're looking at months...

Just some stuff to get you thinking. :)

miked1207
Wed, Apr-05-06, 13:17
Also Mike, I noticed your physical stats are similar to mine (at least height/start weight). How long has it taken you to drop the weight? Congrats on your success

bkloots
Thu, Apr-06-06, 04:15
Enough suggestions so far, Mike? I agree that four weeks of induction is fine. You can actually stay on it longer, but here's the thing. Atkins is a learning process, not a diet. The point of the phases is to teach you a new way of eating that you can sustain. Adding in foods according to the "carb ladder" (see the book) maintains your process, adds variety to your menu, and lets you know the kinds of foods your body uses efficiently.

By the time you get close to your goal weight, you'll discover that the biggest change is IN YOUR HEAD. Things that used to taste good to you won't be that appealing anymore, especially if you take the time to plan your LC eating around real, whole foods: fresh meats and veggies, eggs, cheeses, nuts, etc.

While Dr. Atkins is the first to say "adapt the program to YOU"--I think the concept of "eating as you please" for a few days, and then low-carbing to shed the pounds is not especially helpful. For me, that would be similar to the old yo-yo pattern that got me in trouble in the first place. However, you can deal with that when you get to maintenance. It's YOUR body, your life, and your journey. Best wishes.

miked1207
Thu, Apr-06-06, 08:33
Thanks Jenn123 and Barbara, your insight is invaluable. I will try to take heart about the long term effects of this learning experience. Both of you have given me lots to consider and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Regarding the hunger, I cut the coffee out this morning and although I have the headache, I don't feel like I'm starving. In fact, I couldnt even finish the eggs I made for breakfast. I'm trying to eat slowly and stop as soon as I no longer feel hungry. I totally understand what you were saying Jenn, regarding not wanting to lose the pasta and bread forever. I'm a total hardcore carb addict. I need to relearn how to eat as Barbara was suggesting so ultimately I'd like to find a way to eat pretty much whatever I want in moderation and maintain the low carb lifestyle. Thanks again