PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

agonycat
Sun, Jan-06-02, 07:08
Okay, I know it's early. But I woke up around 4am wide awake and ready to start the day.

I turned on the TV to see if anything interesting was on and catch the weather. Low and behold what did I see?

An infomercial for Dr Atkin's. :rolleyes:

The guy was selling Dr Atkin's as a new technology and new breakthrough of dieting and showing Keto sticks with Dr Atkin's name on them. On females it concentrates on the hips, legs and thigh area! (can a diet be that specific?) The price you ask? 75.99. Comes with 2 video tapes of about 45 mins, a bottle of keto sticks and a "diet appendix". If you buy now you can get all this for 29.75! The way the guy was showing it the keto sticks were Dr Atkin's very own invention and you couldn't get them anywhere else. They had some female on the program as well, but she couldn't get a single word in because the guy kept ignoring her and was rambling.

I am so disappointed it has gotten to this. The way the guy was hyping the technology issue was totally ridiculous.

Ah....the power of the almighty dollar.

tamarian
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:31
Hi AC, I moved this post to the Media forum, as it is a media watch report :)

Nice catch, this is the first time I hear about Atkins (dis)infomercials :)

Wa'il

Karen
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:45
That is pathetically sad. People use it - and they already do - as a quick weight loss scheme. If there was information in the package about maintenance, it would probably be disregarded, just like it is when people read DANDR to the induction chapter and no further. That is why reading the WHOLE book is so important.

Karen

agonycat
Sun, Jan-06-02, 14:37
What was also bad is they were showing pictures of people that lost 60 pounds and more. In very very tiny print they had "results are not normal" but if you sat through 15 before and after pics of no less than 60 pounds loss what would you start to think? They even showed a guy who had lost 120 pounds with his "before" pants hanging in front of him.

Not once did they mention how long it took those shown to lose the weight. They also guaranteed results in two weeks or your money back. Gah no wonder some people come on the board thinking Atkin's is a 60 pound over night wonder cure!

*sighs*

And no problem with moving me Wa'il. I totally forgot about the media section and it didn't really belong in the main forums :)

rustpot
Mon, Jan-07-02, 10:55
I have to admit that I bought the Atkins kit from a TV infomercial before I realised that I could buy the book off the shelf and the ketostix in my local pharmacy.

It was this that started me going

The videos and tapes are so so. There is a log book. The recipe book is much the same as those in "new diet revolution".

I then went out and bought Protein Power ... great book.

In hindsight I spent far to much... this site is free... and far better
(congrats to the founders and maintainers)

Thought about sending it all back and getting my money back....but..... how could I say I was not completely satisfied. My stats at the side show that it does what it says on the label.

Never mind. It was cheaper than Dinner for two at my local restuarant!

agonycat
Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:33
I can understand that Rustpot. I guess what really got me was the way the guy was going on about it.

New technology, keto sticks by Dr Atkin's, rapid weight loss. No wonder so many people have the wrong idea about the diet and think it's a fad.

Not once did they mention Dr Atkin's had been doing this for 20 years and has thousand of patients. They just made it sound like one of those "lose 10 pounds this weekend" diet. :(

That is why I was disappointed. I KNOW there is so much more to it than what that guy was hyping.

Chrissy
Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:28
I wonder if Dr. Atkins is getting a percentage cut out of this info commercial.

Its a total shame!