PDA

View Full Version : Question for the women - TOM

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pharmer24
Wed, Mar-29-06, 20:06
Well, you guessed it. Its that time of the month for me. Today when I got on the scale I was up 0.5lbs.

I get on the scale at the same time and the same circumstances every AM and again in the PM. (I need a daily reminder of why Im doing this - I know... stay of the scale...)

I know Im doing this right, because Im following the Dr. Atkins book to the 'T' and have been walking 3 miles in the evenings. I drank plenty of H20 today (32 oz and counting) and did not eat an abnormal amount of salt... but sometimes that doesnt matter during this TOM.

So, finally, my question is:
Do anyone of you notice a stall during that TOM? Should I be concerned that I have stalled a bit?

Im at the very start of week 4. Three full weeks in for me. No cheating. If that makes a difference. Im down 9lbs and am very happy about that... I guess I just need reassurance that this is not a concern.

Lisa N
Wed, Mar-29-06, 20:17
It's TOM and you've only gained half a pound? You lucky lady, you! :thup: :lol:
Seriously, it's perfectly normal to have no loss or even a few pounds gained water retention during TOM and I'd be willing to bet that in another week, you'll see a nice drop on the scale. :)

Pssst...stay off the scale! ;) :D

MsCarrieM
Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:14
dang! I wish mine was like that! When TOM shows up I'm good for at least 10 pounds up!

Josiemk
Thu, Mar-30-06, 08:34
dang! I wish mine was like that! When TOM shows up I'm good for at least 10 pounds up!

You might need to lower your carb count or your salt. I've been doing Atkins for 4 years but the most I've gained during TOM was about 2 to 3 pounds but that's also when I cheated big time. It sounds to me like your retaining too much fluid. BTW you don't happen to have high blood pressure do you that can cause fluid retention too.

MissieA
Thu, Mar-30-06, 08:52
I go up 3-5 pounds during TOM and lose it right after!!!http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;21;116;0;1/c/176.5/t/135/s/182.5/k/53b4/weight.png

MsCarrieM
Thu, Mar-30-06, 17:53
I'm not on any meds and don't have high blood pressure, I just retain a lot of water! It usually goes up the day before/day of and I lose it all plus some by the third day.

MorphingMe
Thu, Mar-30-06, 18:35
I can't tell you how happy this thread makes me! I was so depressed to be up a pound this am when I've been doing so well, no slipups. TOM is due any day but, I wasn't sure if it would affect the scale. You've made my night that I will hopefully lose the extra quickly when she's gone.

rissa
Fri, Mar-31-06, 09:43
Well, you guessed it. Its that time of the month for me. Today when I got on the scale I was up 0.5lbs.

I get on the scale at the same time and the same circumstances every AM and again in the PM. (I need a daily reminder of why Im doing this - I know... stay of the scale...)

I know Im doing this right, because Im following the Dr. Atkins book to the 'T' and have been walking 3 miles in the evenings. I drank plenty of H20 today (32 oz and counting) and did not eat an abnormal amount of salt... but sometimes that doesnt matter during this TOM.

Do anyone of you notice a stall during that TOM? Should I be concerned that I have stalled a bit?

Im at the very start of week 4. Three full weeks in for me. No cheating. If that makes a difference. Im down 9lbs and am very happy about that... I guess I just need reassurance that this is not a concern.

Oh god! if only! haha :) I'm not making fun of you or anything - just wishing I WAS you at TOM :P I can gain anywhere from 1-7 lbs during TOM. Its not really a stall, you're retaining water and that's just a fact of being female. You get bloaty. Take some midol and call it good. :)

MeBLady
Fri, Mar-31-06, 11:36

I sometimes gain a few pounds the week of TOM, sometimes not....I've found exercise helps in releasing the water retention. At any rate, it will come right back off when TOM is over.

However, prepare yourself....you usually lose the most in the first three weeks, so you will probably find that you will lose a little slower from here on out. Don't get discouraged and stick to your plan!

Josiemk
Fri, Mar-31-06, 16:34
I'm not on any meds and don't have high blood pressure, I just retain a lot of water! It usually goes up the day before/day of and I lose it all plus some by the third day.

Could you by any chance be dehydrated, when your dehydrated your body will hold on to any water that it can?

Pharmer24
Fri, Mar-31-06, 17:26
Thanks everyone!

I am glad Im not the only one with TOM syndrome. Its been a rough couple days with cravings, which I believe is because its that TOM and this is the time I always get cravings.

Im doing well, and only had one 5 carb slip up today (I ate one girl scout thin mint cookie). I was going to eat 2 which would have been 10 carbs, but it didnt taste like I remembered, so I quit. Then, of course, I felt guilty so I went for a nice long walk (about 4 miles) and now I feel better and my ketostick still shows ketones... so Im glad I am still at some level of lipolysis. Im going to remember this next time Im tempted- its just not all its cracked up to be!

Anyways. Thanks for all your encouragement. I feel alone in my little world because no one I know "can do" low carb... or so they think. Im glad I have some place to turn to for reassurance!

emily30
Fri, Mar-31-06, 17:31
I sometimes gain a few pounds the week of TOM, sometimes not....I've found exercise helps in releasing the water retention. At any rate, it will come right back off when TOM is over.

However, prepare yourself....you usually lose the most in the first three weeks, so you will probably find that you will lose a little slower from here on out. Don't get discouraged and stick to your plan!

I agree with MeBLady. TOM seems to add about 3-5 lbs and begins to drop back off after the first few days and exercising does get that water moving. Upping your water intake before TOM also helps with the pre-TOM bloating for me too. I see you are just beginning week 4 of this WOE and chances are you will have the infamous stall from about week 3/4 until about week 7/8. Don't be alarmed; a majority of us stall at this point, then the weight begins to drop again. Stick to the plan, it does work! :D

emily30
Fri, Mar-31-06, 17:36
Don't worry about the little 5g mint. When I have chocolate cravings, I mix a tablesppon of cream cheese, a teaspoon of cocoa powder, a sprinkle of Splenda and a tiny splash of heavy cream and whip it all up with a fork. It tastes like chocolate cheese cake. :yum:

Pharmer24
Fri, Mar-31-06, 17:49
Thanks emily.

I wrote that 'recipe' down for future reference! Thanks! :)

Fidora
Fri, Mar-31-06, 21:28
I feel very "thick" today, even though my jeans were loose enough to have to wear a belt, but my overall feeling is "thick". My TOM is right around the corner. Do I dare step on any scale right now? Not in a million years!!!

rissa
Sat, Apr-01-06, 07:25
I feel very "thick" today, even though my jeans were loose enough to have to wear a belt, but my overall feeling is "thick". My TOM is right around the corner. Do I dare step on any scale right now? Not in a million years!!!

Exactly! :) See, now I've gotten to the point with myself that I do step on the scale and I make a game out of guessing how much I'll be up and then how much I'll be down a week after starting :P It makes it fun for me hehe

WyoDiva
Sat, Apr-01-06, 22:16
Only 32 oz of water a day??? I'd suggest drinking a MINIMUM of 64 oz each day. I drink around 160 oz per day - yes, I live in the bathroom, but now I never gain the requisite 3-5 lbs before TOM like I used to before LC.

I never lose around TOM, but I don't bounce up and down either!

Josiemk
Tue, Apr-04-06, 09:31
Susanne , that's real good.

Pharmer24
Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:37
I'd suggest drinking a MINIMUM of 64 oz each day. I drink around 160 oz per day - yes, I live in the bathroom,

Do to my profession, I cant live in the bathroom. Im a Pharmacist, and usually only overlap with another Pharmer 2 hours a day. While I can leave to use the restroom, that means Im leaving the pharmacy with the techs- who are very capable at doing things, but cannot answer drug information questions or counsel patients... which means I could leave a patient waiting.

I typically drink 16oz while at work, and try to hold it as long as I can. Im one of those, once I break the "seal" its all over. I drink 24oz when I get home in the evenings. If I drink more than than too close to bedtime, Im up 3 times a night to use the potty.

I know 64oz is ideal, but I figure 32 is better than nothing. I do drink more when I have the day off, though it varies.

Thanks for all your TOM tips. Im still 171lbs, but Im hoping to see a little loss tomorrow. Not quite over the whole cycle yet (from PMS to finish)... we'll see!

Thanks again!