PDA

View Full Version : Hi All,

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jjock
Sat, Mar-25-06, 21:15
I am new to the forum but not new to Atkins. I started for the second time in 2003 and went from 232 down to 185, five pounds short of my ideal weight and then stopped losing weight. I have actually gained weight while doing induction and this has been frustrating to say the least. I have been doing a modified version of the fat fast to attempt to get things going again and have been able to lose weight. The frustrating part is that if I go over 20g of carbs, I stop losing weight. I exercise daily, and in the summer I have a heavy exercise schedule, but it is discouraging not to be able to lose the last 15 pounds. I don't miss the carbs, but sure wish I could have more variety with my diet.

JaneDough
Mon, Mar-27-06, 17:50
Some people have really low carb threshholds, I know. Are you getting as much variety out of your 20 carbs as possible? Hopefully you've moved past Induction and include other allowed foods towards your carb count. At any rate, welcome aboard; glad you found us.
:wave:

jjock
Tue, Mar-28-06, 13:51
The short answer is no, I have a form of cancer called PV with secondary myeleofibrosis and have found that I need to have whey protein and l-glutamine to reduce nausea and remain active. I am on continuing suppressive therapy, to control my condition. There is no remission for this condition and I am lucky to still be alive after 18 years.
That is the only reason that I can't reduce below 20 grams carbs. The irony of this is that this worked so well for so long and then gradually stopped working for me. I also take psyllium husks, and while I don't know how many digestible carbs I am getting from this, I don't think it can be too high as I am only taking 2 to 3 tablespoons full per day. I must also state that I stick to the low carb lifestyle and will only vary from the strict diet when we have to eat out. Even then, no bread, no rice, potatoes, etc.
Bob

JaneDough
Tue, Mar-28-06, 18:05
It sounds like you're doing the best you can under extremely difficult circumstances, Bob. Thank you for sharing your story with us all. :rheart: