PDA

View Full Version : Sticks practically black..but no loss of inches or lbs.! What gives?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

coopski1
Fri, Mar-24-06, 16:55
I went on Atkins a couple of years ago...lost 60 lbs. in about 7 months. THen stalled for a really long time...then carb binged like a maniac for about 3 months. Have been on the straight and narrow carb-wise...induction for almost 3 weeks...keto sticks practically black!...but no weight or inch loss.
Did I permanently undo my ability to lose the lo-carb way with my maniac 3 month sugar binge?

LadyArya
Fri, Mar-24-06, 18:10
Can you post a daily menu? There are many things people include in induction (like LC bars/shakes) which can completely stall weightloss.

And I'd also suggest checking out the thread Why Ketosticks Lie... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=290283) in the General Low Carb forum.

HTH!

coopski1
Fri, Mar-24-06, 21:25
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I may be overdoing calories and fat ironically. I don't eat any bars or shakes or anything. Almost thought the sticks were dark because I'm eating so much fat.

Breakfast usually a couple of eggs scrambled in A LOT of butter...Lunch & dinner meals are usually lots of cheese (fresh mozzarella w/olive oil, brie) chicken broiled with the skin, steak, cream cheese, turkey sausage (1g.carb per sausage), 1 slice of 5 carb bread with one tablespoon locarb peanut butter. Have to admit I'm not drinking water. I drink A LOT of Diet Rite and 2 or 3 cups of coffee in the morning w/ locarb milk. And wonder if the Percoset I had to take for my tooth extraction is throwing things off.

LadyArya
Fri, Mar-24-06, 22:10
I just had my tooth taken out and was drugged out of my mind. It didn't stop any loss. But then, YMMV.

I don't believe its your fat and calories that are the problem, but you don't seem to be following induction rules.

Bread and peanut butter are not allowed on induction.
Milk (low carb or not) is not allowed on induction. Unsweetened heavy cream is in moderation.
Cheese is limited to 4oz per day on induction.
Where are your veggies? You need three cups per day of acceptable veggies.
You need to drink water. A general rule is half your weight in ounces.
I'd limit the diet sodas. They are allowed, but they have been known to stall some.

You might want to take another gander at the acceptable foods list: http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/acceptable-foods

I'd do a clean induction and that should get things moving.

HTH!

coopski1
Fri, Mar-24-06, 22:29
You're the best ! I do remember now that when I did induction the first time (coupla years back) I was OBSESSIVE about the acceptable foods list "and that made all the difference". Guess I do need to take a refresher course... though your email reminded me of the basics. Tomorrow's another day...and will start fresh and clean.

LadyArya
Fri, Mar-24-06, 23:32
Anytime! Glad to help :thup:

droppin
Sat, Mar-25-06, 08:23
even when they say low carb bread I was told to watch that stuff because there are alot more carbs in there then what they say there are

http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/44254c5cc292a/weightloss.png (http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/)

coopski1
Sat, Mar-25-06, 09:19
2 yrs. ago when I first "did" Atkins...after induction I used to clean the store out of O'So'Lo LoCarb Hamburger and Sandwich rolls. The hamburger rolls were only 3 g.'s each ! Would toast them...make croutons, or dip in olive oil and grated parmesean cheese...totally delicious. Then they disappeared.
A friend suggested maybe they got bagged for lying about the carb count like the "fat-free yogurt" episode of Seinfeld when they gobbled it by the gallon only to find out the store had lied and it was really super hi-fat. Anyway if anybody out there knows the deal with the O'So'Lo company...let us know!

LisaAC
Sat, Mar-25-06, 09:28
I went on Atkins a couple of years ago...lost 60 lbs. in about 7 months. THen stalled for a really long time...then carb binged like a maniac for about 3 months. Have been on the straight and narrow carb-wise...induction for almost 3 weeks...keto sticks practically black!...but no weight or inch loss.
Did I permanently undo my ability to lose the lo-carb way with my maniac 3 month sugar binge?

Goodheavens, no. You've not undone your ability to loose weight on lowcarb.

I did the same thing, but when I went back I lost no weight. So, gave up and a few months later decided to try again. My body lost weight again. Sometimes it just takes a little time.

I would suggest relooking at your food and water intake and going from there.

CMCM
Mon, Mar-27-06, 14:17
I see several things here...

I'd suggest coooking your eggs in just enough butter to grease the pan, no more. Just because it's allowed don't go crazy with amounts. I also do an egg mixed with egg whites....extra protein but fewer calories.

If you are doing induction, you really do have to limit cheese. 4oz daily, that's it.

You really need to do the water. Lots. Water enables the fat to get broken down and flushed out.

Get rid of the bread, no matter what they say on the wrapper. I found for myself that grains are the DEVIL and entirely stop fat loss. Many people are sensitive to gluten in particular. Get the book "Dangerous Grains" (on Amazon) and your eyes will be opened about this problem. Many many overweight people are gluten sensitive....possibly 1 in every 100 or even 1 in every 75. You may be one of them. If so, it will sabotage your weight loss big time.

Diet drinks....I just read something, and I wish I had it to reference here, but researchers are starting to think diet sodas can be a problem because your body still interprets the substance as sweet, and it sets up cravings and overeating of other things even though it doesn't add calories. I'd suggest drinking some sort of fizzy mineral water instead...the fizz is satisfying and you can really get hooked on the stuff. I never crave sodas any more. Perrier makes lemon and lime flavored carbonated mineral water which is heavenly and has 0 calories, 0 carbs. This is my biggest indulgence and it completely replaced sodas for me.

No peanut butter on induction.

Watch portion sizes. Just because Atkins doesn't count calories doesn't mean you can eat without regard to portion size.

shopgirl28
Mon, Mar-27-06, 14:22
I totally agree on the diet soda thing. However, there is a brand called 'waist watchers' that I get here and its aspartame-free, caffeine-free, sugar, calorie, and carb free. They use splenda and its so good. I aim to drink atleast a gallon of fluid a day, half of which has to be water.