PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss diets can be causes for obesity?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

victor01
Thu, Mar-23-06, 17:50
Hello

I found on the internet this subject, for ex. obesity.alistabout.info (http://obesity.alistabout.info) . Weight loss diets can be causes for obesity? What do you think? My wife is in a weight loss diet program and now I am worried about her.

Thank you

Rosebud
Thu, Mar-23-06, 18:18
Hello

I found on the internet this subject, for ex. obesity.alistabout.info (http://obesity.alistabout.info) . Weight loss diets can be causes for obesity? What do you think? My wife is in a weight loss diet program and now I am worried about her.

Thank you
Hullo Victor,

Is your wife on a low carb weight loss program? Because low carbing can only help her. :)

Rosebud:rose:

Ptrcmcc6
Thu, Mar-23-06, 18:59
First of all, I would like to commend you for being supportive of your wife's weight loss efforts. As far as weight loss programs causing obesity, I suppose that would depend on the weight loss program you are on and how you work it. If she is on a program which leaves her hungry all the time, she might get the urge and not have the willpower to stick with it. With just about all the weight loss programs you read about on this forum (Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power, etc) it's more of a way of life as opposed to a diet. It's about eating foods that are healthy for you such as veggies, salads, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. The list goes on and on, depending on what plan you are using, and you never feel hungry like you do with the low calorie/low fat diets.

If she hasn't decided what plan she would like to use. I suggest she browse through some of the threads in here to get an idea of what plan she thinks may be right for her. Then she can go get the book and read up on it. The idea is to NOT feel like you are dieting. The plans discussed in here are intended to be a way of life forever. Of course, there are plenty of us who have fallen off plan (myself included) but the important thing is to pick yourself up and start over again. It will take time for the weight to come off but, if you stick with it, eventually she will reach her goal and she will have a different mindset as to how she should eat for the rest of her life. I know when I fell off last year and started eating those high carb foods, I was mindful of how much I ate. I didn't feel good about it but I also didn't sit down and eat a half a bag of chocolate chip cookies in one sitting like I use to. I would eat about 5 instead.....lol.

Anway, tell her to find a plan that she is comfortable with. Also, one that does not leave her feeling hungry all the time. Personally, I have cut out all those "white" starchy foods that were in my life, along with all those sugary products. I know I didn't gain all the weight overnight so it will take time for it to come off, also. Tell her to have patience and to be happy with the healthy way she is eating now and slowly she will see the pounds come off. Some exercise, even if it's just going for walks, helps also.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums. There is a ton (no pun intended) of support here!!

Patty

LC_Dave
Thu, Mar-23-06, 20:25
Hello

Thank you

100% they can be a big contributing factor in impairing metabolism. When I talk about Weight Loss diets I am talking about the ones that focus on calroie and restriction and fat restriction only.

A low carbohydrate one (especially with adequate fat intake) is healthy. Except if the cals are excessively low.

I have had a long history of sticking very well to these programs, and then the hunger became too much. Muscle mass is lost and BMR is reduced. Effectively helping me put on even more weight.

Thanks God for Low carb!

ProfGumby
Thu, Mar-23-06, 22:32
Weight Loss Programs and Diet can cause problems, and frequently do, as the author of the article states.

This is wrong, IMHO. It sounds to me like the site is using a general weakness/trait of human nature to discredit any weight loss program, that does not use counseling. Where is this going? read on MacDuff!

Also, the site references heavily on the BMI, read my stats to know what I think about that! In all fairness they did also talk about Body Fat Percentage, which I feel is a much more accurate way to measure things. If one is into that.

Back to the topic at hand...

Actually, the weight loss programs do not generally cause problems, it is the people on them that do.

Now, for the purposes of this post, we would be talking about a weight loss program that is not some snake oil,smoke and mirrors crash type program.

As I have come to see it (especially from my life experience) as soon as someone on a "diet" either washes out or reaches their goal, the tend to go right back into their old ways. Either straight away, or slide back gradually. Some do this with the best of intentions too!

What I have learned is this, once a person enters into a weight loss plan with the only purpose of losing weight, as soon as this is done, they go off the "diet". Bad Ju Ju! They do so well and then jump head first into a bowl of Jello Pudding! Or a bucket of Big mac's...you get the point......

There are a few people who have done the "Low Carb Thing" or the Atkins "diet" and either gained weight while doing it, or lost all their weight then gained it all back with a vengance! Just like any other "diet" or dieter as mentioned above.

I was the binge cheating yo yo diet king most of my adult life and part of my teen life as well. I had the problem of weighing as much as any two of my friends! Until I saw Low Carb, specifically Atkins as a way of life, for the rest of my life, that is.

Also, did anyone catch the link to Weight Watchers? It is the only direct link to any program on the site. Also, if you read about how to safely lose weight, guess what program their advice closely, and I mean very closely follows?

Well that and they also go on ad nauseum about medications and surgery for obesity too. And that "Recent scientific research has cast some doubt over whether or not dieting actually improves health, with some studies indicating that dieting may in fact be more detrimental than remaining overweight." To all this all I can say is (forgive me the bluntness of this) WTF?? :help:

Hmmm........ :q:

I am not judging Weight Watchers, or any other program. But until the vast majority of people see weight loss programs as a way of life, the failure rates and percentages of people who much of the weight back will not change.

And in all fairness there is a lot of good information there about obesity in general. But for my tastes it is peppered with so much crap that I really feel ther are better sources to get advice from. Like this site here for example!

Thanks for the post and the link, it was some fascinating reading to say the least.