PDA

View Full Version : Exercise vs. Low Carb - HELP!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kristikata
Wed, Mar-22-06, 10:51
This is my second time around doing low carb, and this time I have introduced some exercise - I have been going to the gym at least every other day (sometimes every day) and doing about a half hour - 45 minutes of cardio (lovin that elliptical).

My question is - with carb intake at less than 35g/day - is it necessary to do some weight training as well? I'm going to mexico in SIXTY DAYS!! (YES!!), and want to be sure that I have shed the 15-20lbs that I deemed necessary to make myself happy in that tankini :)

Any suggestions??? - also, is it necessary to eat a protein in the morning? Is it ok to eat veggies, or a sugar free item? Mornings are not so good for me, I suffer from pretty bad nausea and am finding it difficult to eat :)

Thanks so much!!
Krista

bkloots
Wed, Mar-22-06, 11:09
Weight training is ALWAYS a good idea for achieving that bikini look. Don't forget--fat is fluff. Muscle is firm--and takes up less space. With strong, toned muscles, you'll look better in your clothes. Or out of them, for that matter.:lol:

When you're low-carbing, fat (dietary and body stores) supplies energy for your workouts, and protein supplies building material for your muscles. So don't skimp on these nutrients.

As for the timing and quantity of your meals--up to you. I find that I need fuel for early-morning spin class. Like caffeine.;) I usually have some cereal (flaxseed/wheat bran) with berries at least 45 minutes before the workout.

If you'll focus on your training instead of your weight, you'll feel much better about your fitness progress between now and Mexico. But whatever you do, HAVE A GREAT TIME ON VACATION!!

judith14
Thu, Mar-23-06, 14:26
Hi Kristikata! Our situations are almost identical. I'm going on a cruise in early June and want to lose at leeeast 15lbs by then. This is my second time trying to do this, so I've increased my exercising. I'm trying to do a min. of 3days a week (max usually being 5 days) of cardio... 45-60min's on the elliptical. I was curious about weight training too and everything seems to say it's a good idea, so I've just started doing that as well. I'm just into my second week and haven't seen any improvement yet, but I wanted to tell you about my situation and how similar it was! I just keep picturing my 2 piece bathing suit.... :)

fireman829
Thu, Mar-23-06, 17:44
Hey if you want to be in that swim suit pay close attention to what i have to tell you!!I won the mr alabama in 1998 and im a full time firefighter that has been dieting down for shoots and shows all the time espeacially summertime shoots!!Doing some light dumbell work 3 days a week is terrific for your body while low carbing plus while low carbing your body tends to eat lots of muscle while dietieng giving you that flat inflated look so thats why you should incooperate the light dumbell workouts mainly dumbell curls and dumbell FOR SHOULDERS FOR WOMEN!! But to really TO GET THAT LEANlook you need to really hit that cardio and i eat nothing but romaine lettuce with my protein atlots of cucumbers and tomatoes very low gleycimic on the carb index and cut your meals off by 8:00 ok and im telling you you will get lean CARDIO+LOW CARB INTAKE= LEANESS GOOD LUCK

highsteaks
Fri, Mar-24-06, 00:57
Kristi,
Exercise will definitely help you. I find I can low carb to a point, but then I just plateau until I get my ass in gear exercising. Once I do, the combination of exercise and low carb makes the weight just melt away. You look really toned too, due to your protein intake.

kristikata
Fri, Mar-24-06, 10:50
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the input - I'm hoping that the cardio alone is not going to cancel out the low carbing... it doesn't seem to be doing this yet, but you never know. My weight loss is not going as quickly as I'd like it too, but only about 2 weeks in, and I can feel the difference in my clothes :) JUDITH14 - GOOD LUCK TO YOU SISTER!!! I will keep you posted on my fitness level. I'm hitting the gym 4-5 times/week and doing 10 minutes on the bike, then anywhere from 15-35 minutes on the elliptical. I do some stretching after that, but no weight lifting as of yet - I should really get started on a little bit by the sounds of it!!

Thanks again everyone for your replies!!

Krista

Lobstergal
Fri, Mar-24-06, 11:02
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the input - I'm hoping that the cardio alone is not going to cancel out the low carbing... it doesn't seem to be doing this yet, but you never know.

Now why would cardio cancel out the low carbing???? I don't get that. Cardio is exercise and low carbing is your preferred way of eating. They can only benefit each other (and they do!!) and things will be much more beneficial if you add in weight training. Weight training burns a lot more calories then cardio alone so you get double the benefits when you do both.

judith14
Fri, Mar-24-06, 12:47
Hi guys ~ any advice on the best weight resistance to do? I've heard that doing ab machines can make you bulk up and that it's a bad idea until you've lost most of the weight you want to. Right now I've been focusing on arms/legs/back, etc... Thanks!

lumberjane
Fri, Mar-24-06, 15:20
I can't handle a heavy breakfast either. Still, I belive you NEED to eat breakfast becuase it gets your metabolism up and running. Also, I hit the gym M,W, F am, and can NOT run on a full stomach.....my solution? Low fat yogurt. It is relatively high in protein, and it pretty much the only thing I can have in my stomach before hitting the gym. I eat Dannon Light N Fit Vanilla....14g carb to 7g protein...not quite the reccommended "zone" mix, but still a good protein source.

taming
Fri, Mar-24-06, 15:41
Most gyms have certified trainers associated with them. It might be a good investment to have a session or two with one of them. There are also some good books and websites, but nothing beats having someone show you how to do something the right way, at least once.

I don't talk nutrition/diet with trainers, btw, they are generally clueless about, yet often opposed to, low carb.

kristikata
Fri, Mar-24-06, 16:51
Hi Lobstergal,

This is the link to the website that got me a little concerned about the cardio thing...

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/fatlosscoach/exercise-low-carb-diets.htm

I'm not sure how valid it is, but the information was news to me!

LadyArya
Fri, Mar-24-06, 18:20
Hi Lobstergal,

This is the link to the website that got me a little concerned about the cardio thing...

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/fatlosscoach/exercise-low-carb-diets.htm

I'm not sure how valid it is, but the information was news to me!

This is just my opinion, but I think everyone here who has been on a LC diet along with exercize and gave themselves lean, mean figures would probably laugh at that guy.

Dodger
Fri, Mar-24-06, 19:12
Hi guys ~ any advice on the best weight resistance to do? I've heard that doing ab machines can make you bulk up and that it's a bad idea until you've lost most of the weight you want to. Right now I've been focusing on arms/legs/back, etc... Thanks!Women don't have enough testosterone to bulk up no matter how much they work out. Focus on the big muscle groups first. Chest, upper back, quads, glutes. Working them will also work the smaller muscles.

bkloots
Sat, Mar-25-06, 06:27
Taming is right. Get a trainer at the gym to show you the correct form on machines and free weights. Correct form is more important than the amount of weight or the number of reps.

Some women have the genetic capability to put on a bit more muscle more quickly than others, but you won't "bulk up." Those women bodybuilders you see on tv are hoisting humongous weights, and probably ingesting controlled substances no woman should put in her body.

Any weight you "gain" from lifting weights will be beautiful. And the more fat you lose, the more you'll see those shapely muscles.

vavcon
Sat, Mar-25-06, 15:45
Hi All,

Read this thread and attached article and I'm confused. Even aerobic exercise builds muscle (at least in me it does! I do elliptical, but I've also done tae-bo, abs of steel, etc.). And more muscle = higher metabolism. It also burns a lot of calories (at least you'd think so from the way I sweat!). So why would aerobic exercise be bad for weight loss?

Thanks!
Chris

vavcon
Sat, Mar-25-06, 15:47
Oh, also, I *do* bulk up. I've yet to get "cut" or "ripped" but my muscles definitely stick out! :Puke:

bkloots
Sat, Mar-25-06, 17:03
Well, yes, if "bulk up" means "get bigger muscles." That's the whole idea.

Every body has a different shape, depending on location of fat deposits and skeletal structure, among other things. I've got extra fat in my upper thighs and upper arms, but nothing around my middle. Flat as a pancake through the abdominal area, but broad in the beam. Can you say "pear-shaped"?

That "cut" look is generally a function of low subcutaneous bodyfat. Some of us get there more easily than others. And in different places.

Elliptical training is definitely aerobic, but you're working those quads and hamstrings like crazy. Tae Bo is also aerobic, but you're using "core" muscles all the time, and it's a great ab workout. It's great to choose a technique that gives you the most bang for the buck.

vavcon
Sun, Mar-26-06, 10:00
I sure hope that those things do! I can see a difference in my muscles. Still, when I work out (ellip), I tend to keep my breathing under control. I wonder if I should try some of the tips in the article - go as fast as you can for a minute, then back off for a few to "recover." I'll try just about anything to get quicker results!
Chris

bkloots
Sun, Mar-26-06, 13:34
I've just recently started using the elliptical at the gym. It has programs, including a "fat burning" program, which features intervals. I did that for the first time the other day, and it was TOUGH. Of course, when I was done, I noticed I had failed to adjust the tilt of the machine, so I was not only toughing out resistance, I was going UPHILL. :p

LadyArya
Sun, Mar-26-06, 13:52
I've just recently started using the elliptical at the gym. It has programs, including a "fat burning" program, which features intervals. I did that for the first time the other day, and it was TOUGH. Of course, when I was done, I noticed I had failed to adjust the tilt of the machine, so I was not only toughing out resistance, I was going UPHILL. :p

What brand of elliptical is that? The one at my gym doesn't have a tilt on it and I wish it did. Thinking of buying one for my house, so I'd much rather buy one with a tilt option.

gonwtwindo
Sun, Mar-26-06, 13:59
Now, I read that whole article, and maybe I missed something, but I never read any claim that low carb cancels out anything. The author does claim that on a low carb diet you will experience a 7 - 9% drop in muscle power. Big deal. I'm not going back on carbs for that!!

CMCM
Mon, Mar-27-06, 13:52
For those who shy away from it, I'm here to tell you that consistent exercise is vital to your health, present and future, and incredibly helpful for fat loss. 6 years ago I was a physical mess....40 lbs. overweight, my back hurt so bad, knees bad, I tripped a lot, had zero energy, felt terrible, had headaches, blah blah blah. At that time I went on the Body for Life program and that entails a very reasonable 6 day a week program....3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio. Weights 45 minutes, cardio 20-30 minutes. Alternate weight & cardio days. I lost 25 lbs. of fat on that diet and felt like a new person. I never felt better in my life! Since then I've been on and off, but mostly on exercise, generally about 2 to 3 days a week, sometimes the 6 days. I do biking in the summer and skiing in the winter. I feel great...except for my remaining 20 or so lbs. which I've never worked hard enough to eliminate.

I just hired a very knowledgeable trainer who re-emphasized that according to current studies and opinion, to LOSE weight you not only have to eat properly (whatever diet plan you are using) but also do at least a couple of days a week of weights AND a full 6 days of cardio, mostly in the fat burning zone but also incorporating some high intensity interval sessions as well. This kicks up your metabolism. For those of you who are quite overweight, you would start SLOW, but consistency is the KEY....you need to rev up your body and your metabolism every single day. Once you stop fighting this idea and just do it....it becomes part of your life. They say doing something 21 days in a row is the key to making it habit, and you are then more likely to stick with it. And if you can do the exercise long enough to feel the benefits health-wise, you'll be hooked forever!

NOTE TO WORRYWARTS: Lacking the degree of testosterone that men have, you will NOT look like those muscle bound she-men you see in some muscle magazines. Those women work out like crazy, more than you'd ever do, AND they take drugs to get that way. They've admitted it. I have worked pretty darn hard with weights and lifted quite heavy weights, and all I did was firm up my muscles....I barely got definition but what I got was really nice looking. So don't worry about bulking up in a bad way...it won't happen.

mcse13
Tue, Mar-28-06, 13:09
I can say this for cardio. In September of 2004 I started Atkins and about 3 weeks into it I started doing Tae Bo. I absolutely loved it. I did both in combination for about two months and went from 160 to a fabulous looking 128. My legs were tight, I still lost weight and eveything looked firm. So from my personal experience cardio + low carb = rocks!!! I'm back for a second time after gaining all kinds of weight after I quit smoking. I've been clean for 8 mths and now I have to get this weight off!! :agree:

rissa
Wed, Mar-29-06, 14:25
I LOVE the weights that I'm doing. I want to do more. I saw 10X's the progress in my body doing weights than cardio. Its amazing. You don't have to do power lifting - just resistance is great. You'll love and appreciate the weights when you slip into that tankini!