PDA

View Full Version : Why Ketostix lie, the importance of not geting hung up on them

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

foxgluvs
Tue, Mar-21-06, 09:48
So... what are they?

You'll hear them referred to as KetoStix (the original brand name), Urine Test Strips, Reagent Strips, Ketone Testing Strips, and Lipolysis Test Strips.

Depending on the plan you follow and whether you are new to this way of life, or an old timer from the 70's, you'll be referring to them as one name or another if your plan calls for being in Ketosis.

The Ketosis we're talking about here is what Dr. Atkins refers to as "Benign Dietary Ketosis" (or BDK), and should never be confused with Acidosis — a dangerous state for diabetics and those in advanced starvation where acetone builds in the blood and tissues. People will sometimes tell you that producing ketones is dangerous for the body. This is simply misinformation. They're confusing ketosis (the state from a Ketogenic diet) with ketoacidosis (or acidosis) which occurs in uncontrolled diabetes and/or starvation.

Ketones?
Ketones are incompletely burned carbon fragments. The very fact that they are less efficient as fuel is what makes them give you that 'metabolic advantage.' Some of the calories burned are not used to their full capacity... hence the person can eat more calories when in ketosis than when not, and still lose the same amount of weight.

Ketoacids are short (four carbons long.) It's important because in that way they are able to penetrate cells to feed them when there is no glucose present. The fat stores accumulate fat as very long fatty acids. They're ordinarily difficult to break down because they're so long.

When the body must use its fat stores for energy (our goal to lose weight), these fat cells begin to release the long fatty acids into the blood.

To be used as fuel, particularly by the brain, the fatty acids go to the liver where they are literally cut into two carbon fragments (ketoacids.)

They are then utilized (burned) by many tissues, including the brain. The brain operates just as well on a diet of ketoacids as it does on glucose. What's left (the incompletely burned fragments) are called ketones, and they are what spill into the urine to be swept from the body.

So in a nutshell...
When the body is in the fat burning state — where it has no carbohydrate to burn and is breaking down body fat for fuel, the body is in a state of ketosis-lipolysis (ketosis for short.) This is the only metabolic pathway for fat breakdown (lipolysis.) Therefore, there is no lipolysis without ketosis, no ketosis without lipolysis. The two terms are biologically linked and, therefore, it is appropriate that they be linguistically linked.

So being in ketosis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be.

This is where the test strips come in...
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/teststrips.jpg While they are in no way necessary to the diet, some people feel more secure with a way to test to know if we are in ketosis at any given time and at what level. The test strips provide a quick and private way to determine that. Simply dip the reagent end of the strip into a urine specimen (collected in a clean cup) and remove immediately. Or alternatively, (the method most people prefer)
— wet reagent area of the strip by passing through the urine stream. Tap edge of strip to remove excess liquid and check color within 10-15 seconds against the color chart provided on all test strip brands' bottles.

A beige or cream color indicates NO KETOSIS detected. Any shade of pink/purple indicates some level of ketones in the urine. Some people get very hung up on the fact that their friend's/husband's/daughter's etc strip shows a darker color all the time, etc. We are all different. Some of us lose better (and feel better) at lighter or darker levels. You'll soon learn what feels right for you.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/ketonecolorstrip2b.jpg

What if your sticks don't "turn"?
A negative result does not always mean you're not in ketosis. If you're keeping your carbs below a certain level (different for different people, but the 20 to 40 carbs per day range is a safe bet), you're probably in ketosis. Some people use their ketones more efficiently, and indeed make fewer of them, hence their lack of "spill" into the urine.

Keep in mind, though, that it's possible to keep your actual carb count low (say at around 30 grams), and still side-step ketosis. The culprits? Most often it's from eating foods that contain even a small amount of "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (HFCS), which can cause a strong insulin spike and halt fat burning. HFCS is far more destructive to your health and your weight loss than regular sugar.

You might also be a person who reacts to aspartame intake with an insulin release. The Atkins Center reports up to 25% of people have such a reaction to aspartame (NutraSweet.)

An appreciable amount of trans fats in the diet can also halt weight loss and fat breakdown. Why? Because trans fats are artificial fats that the body fails to recognize as "real", and attempts simply to store them, taking an "I'll deal with it some other time" approach.

Are they right for me?
If you become obsessive about your levels at every hour of the day and in comparison with others' or where you think you should be, then don't bother with the sticks. If you can use them sensibly — once a day or when you want to detect your level because of dietary changes etc, then they can be great tools.

Which ones and where?
There are a number of brands to chose from. The original — Ketostix by Bayer — is the most common and the easiest to find in most pharmacies. If you don't see them, ask. Also, it can't hurt to price-shop. They vary anywhere from $9.99 to $24.99 in different stores. Many of the online low-carb and health/drug stores carry test strips as well. Some of these are "off-brands" and private label. There's Uriscan and Atkins label. It doesn't matter which you use, but usually it's best to pick a brand and stick with it because they color slightly different and it can get confusing if you're brand-switching. Also remember, these are marketed ostensibly for diabetics to check for ketones where there should be none, so please ignore the paper inserts in the box if you're using the sticks for detecting ketosis from within a low carbohydrate (ketogenic) diet.

shopgirl28
Tue, Mar-21-06, 09:54
Great post and description of ketosis; I thought i was informed now but since reading that I feel I can fully grasp the concept of fat being used as energy

droppin
Tue, Mar-21-06, 09:54
Thank you for this post I really needed to hear this one .. Im having thatproblem right now where its not truing any color and thought this LCL wasn't for me but after reading your post and a few others im not giving up yet thanks

http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/44201cdb77b6f/weightloss.png (http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/)

Gemmafafen
Tue, Mar-21-06, 10:05
Oooh Foxgloves- nice breakdown there- always oo dto be reminded of exactly what we are doing!

Oh now I really want some ketosis testing strips!! I have never used them and taken the sign of a change of breath smell as my indicator as here in UK I can't find them in my local pharmacist. Foxgloves- where do you buy yours from? ~online?

Cheers
Gem.

foxgluvs
Tue, Mar-21-06, 10:37
Hiya, actually I gave up using them a while ago, I found I was one of the few people who got really hung up on them....but I use to get mine from boots, you have to ask behind the counter, and they inevitably ask if you are diabetic....I just told them I was, and they sold them to me!!

I posted this more as a demonstration that while keto strips can be beneficial, they are by no means essential.....and sometimes can even be detrimental if you are one of those people who just simply don't register on them!

Glad some of you are finding the info useful.

IBeatAnnaR
Tue, Mar-21-06, 12:59
Ya know, I went to buy ketostix last night and stood there waiting for 10 minutes while one lady argued about the total for her prescription, another 10 minutes for a guy insisting he was insured but did not have any insurance identification and was a new customer; and last, another 15 minutes while an old fart told his life story including every ailment from numb nuts to cataracts to the pharmacy cashier after giving her his prescription...as she started to walk away, and in a primal scream I yelled please hand me a box of ketostix. I think I scared both of them as they fell on the floor.

Anyhow, why...WHY do they stick those stix behind the counter???

We just have to pee on them...maybe they are behind the counter so people don't:

- stick them up their nose

- stick them up their arse

- clean their ears

- or eat them

I just don't get it :confused:

foxgluvs
Tue, Mar-21-06, 14:44
Ya know, I went to buy ketostix last night and stood there waiting for 10 minutes while one lady argued about the total for her prescription, another 10 minutes for a guy insisting he was insured but did not have any insurance identification and was a new customer; and last, another 15 minutes while an old fart told his life story including every ailment from numb nuts to cataracts to the pharmacy cashier after giving her his prescription...as she started to walk away, and in a primal scream I yelled please hand me a box of ketostix. I think I scared both of them as they fell on the floor.

Anyhow, why...WHY do they stick those stix behind the counter???

We just have to pee on them...maybe they are behind the counter so people don't:

- stick them up their nose

- stick them up their arse

- clean their ears

- or eat them

I just don't get it :confused:

:lol::lol::lol:
*snort* what a superbly funny post!!!! Thank you for making me laugh so hard, and ya know what? I have often wondered the exact same thing! It's like WTF?? You can't hurt anyone by using them.....weird!

cajuda
Tue, Mar-21-06, 16:48
At my Walmart Super Store, they're out front with other diabetic products. They've also been in the weightloss area (supplements, etc.) If they're behind the counter, they're more expensive (I think).

Pharmer24
Tue, Mar-21-06, 17:56
I work in a retail chain pharmacy (Im a pharmacist).

We keep the stix "behind the counter" because its not a product the store carries, so we special order them in the Pharmacy, so the are delivered to the pharmacy department.

At least that is why in the store where I work.

"while an old fart told his life story including every ailment from numb nuts to cataracts to the pharmacy cashier after giving her his prescription"

This had my laughing out loud, because we get this all day everyday! You'd be surprised what people will share with their pharmacist! :)

IBeatAnnaR
Tue, Mar-21-06, 19:13
foxgluvs, you are certainly welcome for the "comic relief".

I can't answer your PM, I think a jealous LC'r turned me in because they wanted to use IBeatAnnaR but I beat them to it. Maybe they believe I'm a wife beater and have the audacity to post it on the internet. Whatever :rolleyes:

Here is impetus to use IBeatAnnaR as my user name, which btw, should have been IBeatAnnaRexia but was to long to register with Lowcarb Friends...........

http://www.barrierislandgraphics.com/galleries/Spink/i%20beat%20anorexia.jpg

I saw this on another website and thought it was hilarious, I don't have the guts to wear that shirt and I am glad his confidence even at that weight doesn't stop him from doing so.

It's a play on words :D

foxgluvs
Wed, Mar-22-06, 02:22
ohhhhh, I get it now!! haha, thought you might be some proud wife beater or something ;)
You have to hit the forward button on PMs....I couldn't figure it out for AGES, and it was really starting to p me off. But I asked someone out on the borads and they told me, it's the forward button...I was like OF COURSE IT IS!!!!! How stupid of me not to think of hitting the forward button! Sheesh, whats up with 'reply'??

Judynyc
Wed, Mar-22-06, 15:34
ohhhhh, I get it now!! haha, thought you might be some proud wife beater or something ;)
You have to hit the forward button on PMs....I couldn't figure it out for AGES, and it was really starting to p me off. But I asked someone out on the borads and they told me, it's the forward button...I was like OF COURSE IT IS!!!!! How stupid of me not to think of hitting the forward button! Sheesh, whats up with 'reply'??

Another way to reply to a PM is to hit the Quote button!! :idea: :D

kismycandi
Fri, Mar-24-06, 03:07
Every one should realize that every one is different. When I get to my goal wieght I can do 80 carbs a day and still be in ketosis. Keep in mind if I dont stay active that count changes. As long as you keep the activity up mostly walking I would think is good you can stay in ketosis. If you up your carbs it makes sense to up your daily activity. Peace

kismycandi

epix
Fri, Mar-24-06, 12:28
I've NEVER been able to get a keto stick to turn purple or even pink!.. I've still managed to lose lots of weight even with those results. I don't even bother anymore with them unless I get curious.

does that mean I haven't been in ketosis? NO.. I go by the tell-tale signs like loss of appetite, 'radioactive' pee, etc..

dane
Sun, Mar-26-06, 06:49
A few things the original article fails to explain/explain correctly.

1)You don't have to be in ketosis to experience lipolysis--that's why people on a high carb diet can still burn fat, too.

2)You can be in ketosis, yet not show it on the sticks. Ketones show up in the blood first, and THEN if there are any excess not used, they spill out into the urine. So if you REALLY wanted to test for ketosis, you could do a blood test. :) Otherwise, as long as your carbs are low enough, ketosis will occur. This level is different for everyone. For a sedentary individual, that could be done on maybe 30gC a day, whereas I have experienced symptoms of ketosis at as much as 80-100gC a day. Some athletes even higher, to 150gC before ketosis occurs.

3)Your ketositx can be dark purple, yet you still not lose weight. Why? Well, ketostix detect the presence of ketones, but don't tell you if it's from the burning of body fat, or the dietary fat you're eating. It is possible to be eating too much in the way of calories that weight loss does not occur. Ketosis usually causes a strong appetite suppressant effect for most people, so they tend to undereat. Not everyone, though, so if you find yourself not losing while in ketosis, it's a good time to sit down and evaluate your calories in/out.

charmedpea
Tue, Mar-28-06, 17:42
I agree that for low carb the sticks are not reliable..But lets remember what they were intended for.. diabetics.. I would have to say those sticks helped diagnosed my hubby.. his sugar level was 900..

charmed

Belle
Tue, Mar-28-06, 20:17
It's true, when I first lost a lot of weight on atkins, I would try on my clothes and see myself losing inches right and left and when I would test for my ketosis, the color on the stick wouldn't change at all. So, I think it depends on the body myself.
Belle

juniebug15
Tue, Mar-28-06, 20:36
I work in a retail chain pharmacy (Im a pharmacist).

Do the sticks expire or lose their effectiveness? I've had a bottle in the medicine cabinet FOREVER and the last couple of times that I checked...they didn't change. :confused:

Pharmer24
Tue, Mar-28-06, 20:43
They are very sensitive to moisture. My bottle has an expiration date, but says they should be thrown out 6 months after opening.

Since they are stored in the bathroom, there is lost of moisture there.

My guess is they are too old to be accurate. I would splurge on a new vial to be sure.

Make sure you keep the dessicant in the bottle after opening. That the little thing (for lack of a better word) in the bottle that isnt a strip that soaks up moisture.

southbel
Tue, Mar-28-06, 22:50
Oddly enough, the ketostix have always been good to me. When I am losing weight, it shows nice and dark and when I am not or not eating on plan, it shows no ketosis. Perhaps I am just one of the lucky few?? Hey, this would be a first for me...being lucky!! Hehe

RhondaK
Tue, Mar-28-06, 23:34
I'll add that when I am haveing TOM I don't register on sticks at all. I eat nothing different but according to sticks no ketosis the whole time. Usually shows up again day after cycle finishes. Anyone else have this happen?

JandLsMom
Wed, Mar-29-06, 02:18
ok could someone explain something to me?? Over in the pregnancy forum there is a woman who keeps telling everyone they cant be in ketosis while pregnant because the baby needs ketones for brain development. I totally don't get what she is saying! She says you must be on maintenance level and out of ketosis while pregnant. She says if your in ketosis then the baby won't get the ketones they need. Please, someone explain this to me before i go crazy! thanks!

dane
Wed, Mar-29-06, 05:03
She says if your in ketosis then the baby won't get the ketones they need. I have no idea what she's talking about, but being in ketosis in the first trimester due to morning sickness is quite common. And harmless. I was in intentional ketosis the first month of my last pregnancy before I realized I was pregnant. I upped my carbs because all science can tell me is it MIGHT be harmful long-term, so why risk it. So far, kid is happy, healthy, smart, normal.

By the way, the fetus is a little parasite, ;) It will get everything it needs from you and your bodily stores, no matter what you are eating (or not eating). If you eat a crappy diet, the baby will be fine, but you won't be.