PDA

View Full Version : High Fat or High Protien?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vavcon
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:00
:help:
Hi All,

Getting close to the end of my second month on lowcarb and the results are less than stellar thus far. However, I am committed - I'm just getting into the "experimentation" phase to get a handle on the best way for my body to shed fat.

In that vein, I've seen posts about high fat (80/10/5) plans, as well as PSMF, which is high protien, lower fat.

I'd love it if some veterans of each would hop in and give the theory behind each, and some pro's and con's. The two times I've been successful at losing weight, I've done more of a PSMF thing but I've really had to drive my calories way down (~800 p/day) and workout like a fiend. I'd prefer a plan that is more sustainable long term (I'm more of a reader and web surfer than a workout junkie, for sure!). I know that I lose better when I exercise and will continue, but I'd like to eat for optimal loss as well.

So...anyone tried both? And?

TIA,
Chris

ProfGumby
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:14
Is BOTH a good answer? ;)

I personally would opt towards higher protein if you are working out/exercising/weight lifting or hiher fat if you are mildly active and just LC ing.

I have upped my protein but not decreased the fat so much. Though I have never measured the actual balance, since working out I am making sure AI am consuming enough protien and the rest is just following along by default.

vavcon
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:21
Hi Professor!

Okay stupid question - what is "enough" protien? Do you base that on body weight or lean mass or what? I use an elliptical for exercise - zero impact, try to keep my breathing under control while I sweat and get a good workout.

Thanks,
Chris

ProfGumby
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:45
The formula I have been following goes like so-

Endurance Athletes: 1.2-1.4 g protein per kg of body weight
(example- 110 g per day for a person weighing 175 lb)

Weightlifters: 1.8-2.0 g of protein per kg of bodyweight
(example- 150 g per day for a person weighing 175 lb)

Non exercisers:0.8 g of protein per kg of body weight
(example- 64 g per day for a person weighing 175 lb)

I have not totally calculated out my exact protein needs, but shoot for over 150 g a day, I weigh 260 and figure with one 40 g protein shake a day, I am getting at least 150 g a day with the rest of my diet.

Sometime when I have the time I will do the math, maybe . I rarely track anything, I don't like numbers. Though I try to make sure fat and protein are not spared. If anything I eat too little veggies in a day. But I only eat when I am hungry, and I eat between 5 and 6 times a day. Odly, I still eat about 1/3 of what I used to in a day......when I weighed 350+ that is.

Jen B
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:49
I agree with BOTH. I started a thread called "Fear of Fat" in this same board. There's lots of links posted and discussion about fat. Check it out. My credo is: If you want to lose fat, eat plenty of fat!

On protein, according to Protein Power, I'm supposed to have about 35 grams per meal, or over 100 grams per day. I try to shoot for that.

Good luck finding the right balance for you!

LadyArya
Mon, Mar-20-06, 09:04
Both seems to sound about right...

For me, I lose best when doing high fat, moderate protein and minimal carbs because it keeps me full. Too much protein and too little fat and I'm starving. Lots of fat and moderate protein I'm so full I leave half my dinner on my plate.

But thats me... and I fully believe low carb dieters need to start on a program and tweak it to fit their bodies.

JandLsMom
Mon, Mar-20-06, 10:11
i lose best with about 70% fat and 30% protein

BawdyWench
Mon, Mar-20-06, 10:18
Here's a link to a thread on why low-carb eating plans must be high fat, not high protein: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=269247

Also, I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic lately, and it seems that a high-protein diet (don't ask me to define "high") WITHOUT adequate fat (and don't ask me to define "adequate") can actually be dangerous.

I think a ratio around 70/25/5 (or even 80/15/5 or even 80/20/0 or even 75/25/0) is about right.

But, JMHO.

ketojoe
Mon, Mar-20-06, 11:03
I personally think lean protein (in quantities as Prof says above) and vegetables are the way to go for fastest fat loss. If you are not in a hurry, add some fats in. But, you still have to watch overall calories, fats add up really fast. Now if you are obese, no carbs and liberal amounts of protein and fats will do, but as you get thinner, you are going to have to watch it more carefully. There was a show on about celebrity weight loss, and almost all of them did lean protein and veggies to drop the weight.

ProfGumby
Mon, Mar-20-06, 18:52
I personally think lean protein (in quantities as Prof says above) and vegetables are the way to go for fastest fat loss. If you are not in a hurry, add some fats in. But, you still have to watch overall calories, fats add up really fast. Now if you are obese, no carbs and liberal amounts of protein and fats will do, but as you get thinner, you are going to have to watch it more carefully. There was a show on about celebrity weight loss, and almost all of them did lean protein and veggies to drop the weight.

I suspect the celebs are doing the lean protein, sans fats as it is still not "correct" to aspouse eating fat.

Make no mistake, I do not skimp om the fat, but I have added more protein since I started working out.

CindySue48
Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:15
I think both. My averages are 45% fat, 45% protein, 10% carbs. Depending on the day, however, I may have as high as 60% fat....it depends on which proteins I eat.

nedgoudy
Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:41
I do HIGH PROTEIN - LOW FAT myself.

As follows:

150+ grams of Protein a day.
108 grams of carbohyrdrates per day
3 grams of Fish Oil Fatty Omega 3 and
6 per day as well as small amounts of
fat in meat I eat with my dinner.

I DID NOT exercise for the first 3 months
of my DIET phase. After that, I started riding
my bicycles and now do about 75 to 100 miles
per week.

My whey protein diet has made me lean and
muscular compared with my former flappy self
and I am a happy camper.

For a great source of Protein that can be mixed
into skim milk, baked goods and casseroles,
visit the website for the Whey Protein Institute
for educational information on the benefits of
whey protein powder at: http://www.wheyoflife.org/

It only took me 10 months to lose 85 lbs,
maybe less. As I recall it was 10 months.

Good Luck, and at your current weight it
isn't too early for you to start an exercise
program. I recommend aerobic rather than
weight lifting for losing the weight.

Jen B
Tue, Mar-21-06, 07:16
BawdyWench: THANK YOU for posting that thread!! The article on the first post of it is fantastic! It was a lightbulb moment for me. :idea:

The last two days I have increased my fat intake. (Sunday, I had 117 grams of fat to 68 grams of protein. Monday, I had 125 grams of fat to 61 grams of protein.) Not only was it filling and satisfying, but I dropped a pound overnight! I've been on a stall forever, so this is very exciting!! I feel like I've stoked the metabolism fires to a new level.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes me. I just made some jerky. I think I'm going to thaw out some bison fat and make pemmican out of it! Never made this before, so I hope it turns out ok!

Parisfox
Tue, Mar-21-06, 10:15
Bawdy....right on!! My sentiments exactly. :agree: