PDA

View Full Version : water pill?...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JJ TERRY
Sun, Mar-19-06, 17:59
:help: I am on Dyazide ... a water pill for High Blood pressure. I am not losing weight like I would like to. Do you think it could be the pill? If anyone is taking this I sure would like to know what you are going thru. :help:

ketojoe
Sun, Mar-19-06, 18:17
it could be the problem...ask you dr. if you can try taurine and garlic instead, or a mild diuretic.

JJ TERRY
Sun, Mar-19-06, 22:05
Thanks Ketojo .... I do take taurine don't take the garlic but i take L-Carnitine ...on my own I did stop taking the water pill for two days but I had to much water that it made me sick so I went back on it

annie627
Mon, Mar-20-06, 08:14
dandelion leaf tea (or geltabs or tincture in warm water) is a great diuretic, and according to some studies doesn't deplete potassium and other essential nutrients like prescription diuretics do.

Pharmer24
Mon, Mar-20-06, 17:33
Please dont stop taking the dyazide. Im glad you restarted right away. Even though you dont "feel" high blood pressure, it is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke, not to mention kidney disease and other organ damage. Its much more important that you take this medication and make an appointment to talk to your doctor about changing.

Have you talked with your doctor about your diet? Make sure you watch the amount of salt you are eating, because salt can make you retain water- increasing your blood pressure.

Not all prescription diuretics deplete electrolytes, like potassium. Dyazide is a "potassium sparing diuretic", meaning your kidneys will not exrete potassium in your urine.

Please, please do not stop taking this in exchange for an herbal "diuretic", they do not work even 1/10th as effectively as your prescription medication at diuresing you, therefore wont help one bit with lowing your blood pressure. Its just not worth it, for your health. If you do wish to consider an herbal supplement, do so only with doctor or pharmacist supervision as it could interact with you prescription medication, or not work as well to control your blood pressure if taken in place of your dyazide.

Sometimes when we lose weight our bodies naturally adapt better, and people are able to stop their medications. Only do this with doctor supervision and consultation... but do remember to try at some point! :)

I do not think the dyazide is the cause of your stunted weight loss. I cant think of a physiological way that the dyazide could slow your losses. My only advice is to recheck every labeling for hidden carbs, and watch serving sizes. How often are you weighing yourself? Try to avoid weighing every day, and weigh at the same time when you do (ie. first think in the AM).

Good Luck!

Pharmer24 (Im a PharmD)

GlendaRC
Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:01
I have to agree with Pharmer24. DH and I have both been on BP meds for the past 20 years and lo-carbing hasn't changed that, but I don't believe that it's slowed our weight loss by much either DH takes HCT, which I don't believe is a potassium-sparing diuretic and I'm on a potassium sparing one in combination with another med. Our weight loss isn't fast but it's going in the right direction! If you weren't low-carbing for a month, what would you weigh eating the way you used to eat, instead of what you weigh after low-carbing for a month. I'll bet you'd have gained if you were not watching carbs and, even if you haven't lost as much as you hoped lo-carbing, at least it's going the right direction! It's a long-term thing!!
Glenda