PDA

View Full Version : new recipe

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 22:40
Karen,
I found this recipe surfing the web. I want to know if it low carb. I found it on a low carb bb.
Adapted from "Rolled Biscuits" (Joy of Cooking, 1976, p 632)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
Measure into large bowl:
1-1/2 c. Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp salt
Cut or mash in with fork or pastry blender:
4 to 6 TBL butter (try 4 - 5 was too rich)
Add:
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/3 to 1/2 c. water (I started with about 1/3 but found I needed more to make dough the right consistency. Don't know exact amount added.)
Mix all together until you can form a soft ball of dough. Knead just a few times so that all stays together.
Roll or press out onto cloth dusted with a little Bake Mix. Should be about 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick. Cut with biscuit cutter or water glass. Should make about 8.
Place on UNgreased cookie sheet (I like a baking stone better). Recipe calls for 12 to 15 min. Watch for them to turn a nice deep golden brown. The Atkins biscuits will "crinkle" on top and look more like a large cookie than a biscuit. When cooled slightly the texture will be more like a biscuit and less mushy.

Sausage Gravy (The original came down through the family with NO measurements but I'll try)
In a large skillet brown 1lb. Hot bulk pork sausage.
While it's browning measure 2/3 c heavy cream and 1-1/3 c water (?? approx - sorry guys) in a 2 cup measure. Set aside and have ready
When sausage is well browned, turn heat to low - take skillet off heat while you add in about 1/3 c Bake Mix. quickly mix this into sausage and pan drippings and place pan back on heat.
Add the milk/water slowly mixing vigorously the whole time. At this point I have stretched the mixture to double the amount just by adding more cream/water and/ or Bake Mix. If you do add more Bake Mix try to mix it with some of the liquid first to keep down lumps. It's a pretty flexible mixture but I do it by "feel" so it's hard to give a measure. Stir constantly getting rid of any lumps until mixture thickens.
To serve ladle the gravy over the biscuit.
I purposly did not add the carb count because the measures are not exact. Mine worked out to about 5.5 carbs. Now, if you all don't hate me for my crazy instructions, let me know how yours turn out! :confused: If it is how could I lower the carbs. I love biscuit and gravy for breakfast. I would not eat it now but after induction. I would love to make it my husband :bday: breakfast.
thanks

Karen
Thu, Jan-03-02, 22:52
It is, but I would make it first to see if it tastes OK. Some people can't stand bake mix, others don't mind it at all.

It's really hard to find good low-carb substitutes for high-carb foods. That's why most folks stick to the basics and explore new recipes and try what they haven't tried before to keep it interesting.

Have you looked at lowcarbluxury.com yet? There are a lot of faux-recipes there.

Karen

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 22:59
karen,
Thanks for reply so fast. I well check out the site. Thanks again. :wave: