PDA

View Full Version : Favorite low carb veggies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:42
OK, I admit it. I am lazy. I eat a lot of raw spinach, not only because I like it, but because i don't have to cook it. What are your favorite low carb veggies and how do you prepare them?

MargoP
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:48
I love broccolli,
Raw, with cheese, with eggs , with eggs cheese onions and shrimp. I love it. I like spinach with eggs and cheese too.

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:49
Unfortunately, broccoli makes me physically ill-even though I love it. I have no idea why.

MargoP
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:57
Hmmm... That is very strange????
may it has something to do with one of the nutrients in it?

kevinpa
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:58
Fresh snap bean, I nuke them in a couple of tablespoons of butter and a toss of coarse sea salt for 10 to 14 min depending on how well done you like them.......YUM!

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:58
I don't know. I have googled and googled. Apparently I am the only person with a broccoli intolerance.

DANABUG
Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:36
Well Cauliflower you can use as alot of things, I used it as rice,mashed potatoes,casserole,in souffle's, the things you can do with cauliflower is crazy. It is used as a substitute for potatoes. :yum: If you like cauliflower let me know and i will give you some of the recipes, they are easy too! :D

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:39
Love cauliflower! Hit me, girl.

kevinpa
Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:47
I don't know. I have googled and googled. Apparently I am the only person with a broccoli intolerance.

Many foods that are part of a healthy diet can cause complex carbohydrate intolerance. This includes many vegetables like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower legumes, grains, cereals, seeds, nuts and many prepared foods, such as chili and lentil soup. Print this list of foods that can cause CCI for your reference.

http://www.preventcci.com/food/default.aspx

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-15-06, 10:48
Thank you!! THat makes me feel better.

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 07:24
The rice is really easy, you just cut it into florets then put them in a food proccessor and chop them nit too fine just so they are like rice, put in a dish cover with seran wrap and microwave for about 6 minutes. Dont over cook it will get mushy.I will get the other recipes for you.enjoy.

Paleoanth
Thu, Mar-16-06, 07:24
Do you add water or anything?

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:33
This is one of my favorites, it is so good I do not miss potatoes at all.I have more coming!!!!And cauliflower is so good for you.

:yum: :yum: :yum:
LOADED" CAULIFLOWER
1 cup cooked cauliflower
1 teaspoon butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon ranch dressing or sour cream
1 strip bacon, crumbled
1 teaspoon chives

Butter and season the cauliflower. Place in an individual-serving baking dish, then top with cheese. Microwave or broil until cheese is melted. Top with ranch dressing, bacon and chives.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 290 Calories; 25g Fat; 12g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Paleoanth
Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:50
Well, except for the bacon part, it sounds good.

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:52
This is great when you are having something that mashed potatoes go with.

Faux Mashed Potatoes
1 pkg. frozen cauliflower or 1 lb. fresh
3 TB. butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 TB chopped chives

In a saucepan or vegetable steamer, cook cauliflower until very tender, about 10-15 min. Drain cauliflower until all liquid is gone. In a glass bowl combine cooked, drained cauliflower, sour cream, cream cheese and 1 TB of the chives. Using a hand mixer, whip the cauliflower until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining chives.

About 4 servings
3 grams of carbs per serving

I was really surprised with how much the texture was like mashed potatoes. Just make sure you drain the cooked cauliflower really well. I didn't and they came out pretty thin.
:yum:

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:52
Yeah, you can always play around with the recipe to your liking thats what i do.I am gret at substituting stuff.

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:55
I have a really good cauliflower souffle i make often,but i need to go find my recipe book, its called Cauliflower Delight and it is great for lunch the next day.I'll be back with it in a few.

DANABUG
Thu, Mar-16-06, 09:55
This is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Cauliflower Delight Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
1 head of cauliflower
2 eggs
1 cup mayonaise
1 medium onion,chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup parmesean cheese
2 tbsp. butter

PREPERATION:
cut up cauliflower into florets,put in bowl and cover with seran wrap,microwave for about 6minutes.put aside.

In large bowl beat eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients except for the butter. add the cauliflower and mix well.

Turn into greased(butter spray)1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Dot with pats of butter,bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until browned slightly.
:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

perclady
Thu, Mar-16-06, 10:48
I love green beans. Stirfry minced garlic and ginger in a tiny !!!amount of oil. Toss is beans and cook until they start to blacken and crisp up. Before serving, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and toss. Sometimes I add a few drops of chili oil or sesame seeds. I've done this with other veggies as well. To make a complete meal, add some chinese BBQ pork at the same time you toss in the beans. The BBQ pork will have some carbs in the marinade-don't know how many.

Ginga
Thu, Mar-16-06, 10:56
Unfortunately, broccoli makes me physically ill-even though I love it. I have no idea why.

I have the same problem. About an hour or so after I eat it I get severe stomach pains. I had forgot about this problem until I started low carbing.
I ate a bunch of broccoli for lunch then went to work and payed the price.
Lately, I take 2 beano tablets before eating it and I have no problems at all. :thup:

droppin
Thu, Mar-16-06, 10:58
I dont like any cooked veggies I like them raw I love getting cerery and cream cheese..mmmmmmmmm

http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/4419975b8b8e2/weightloss.png (http://www.choosing2lose.com/ticker/)

kevinpa
Thu, Mar-16-06, 12:09
They Cauli Me Tatar Salad

1 small to med head Cauliflower, chopped into 2 inch peices
4 scallions, sliced thin
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
1/4 cup dill relish, drained well
2 tablespoons sweet relish
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons SF Vanilla Davinci syrup
1 1/2 tablespoon Frenchies honey dijon mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
5 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
fresh ground pepper to taste
salt to taste

put chopped cauiflower is covered glass bowl with 2 tablespoons water and microwave on high for 7 min then let sit covered for 5 more min.

then put the first 9 ingredients in a large casserole and mix gently to keep cauliflower from breaking into small pieces.

top with eggs and salt and pepper to taste
then fold in gently cover and refridgerate for 2 hours or so.
Yum!:yum:

nikib5
Thu, Mar-16-06, 12:30
I love spinach. It can be used in many recipes too and is so good for you.

Thanks for all these ideas of what to do with cauliflower. It's always been a vegetable I've kind of avoided because I thought it was rather blah. These recipes look great.

~Niki

deb34
Thu, Mar-16-06, 12:31
Eggplant, cauliflower, asparagus these are the ones i use most frequently.

sphinxy
Sun, Jun-11-06, 16:16

I'll forget and eat broccoli and an hour later wonder what the heck hit me. My friend said it's gas, but it's not gas, it's pain in my upper stomach that can double me over...no gas! I have had it happen with home grown cherry tomatoes, too.