PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Hard Way

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JohnMD
Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:55
If we're lucky we never get too old to learn from our mistakes. I'm back on Atkins after a six year hiatus, a dozen diet false starts, and 60 extra pounds. During the late 90s while working on a Y2K project for Compaq, I packed on the pounds. After the project was over I used Atkins (and a lot of hiking in Colorado) to drop to 200. At 6'1" 200 feels like a healthy weight for me.

My diet was very simple: lots of lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, nuts and cheese combined with all the salad veggies I could chop into small pieces every day, and of course green beans. I bet I ate enough green beans if placed end-to-end to circle the globe.

About five years ago I was diagnosed with "pre-diabetes". My doctor told me to switch to the diet recommended by the ADA (low-fat, high-carb mostly). The weight began to slowly creep back on at the rate of a couple of pounds a month. After two years I was placed on script for diabetes and high blood pressure.

I know if I can lose some weight I can cut back, or do away with, the meds. Last Sunday, March 5, I made a fresh start on low-carb living. I feel like I'm back on track. I realize most of the early weight loss is water, but I was happy to see a 10 pound drop the first week.

Having group support is an important element of any successful endeavor. I'm happy to have found this board.

All the best,

John

boree
Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:06
Good for you John! Welcome to the forum. I have type 2 diabetes and I used to take meds for it. That low/fat high/carb was the worst thing I could have done, and I packed on the pounds and it did nothing for my bloodsugar.
I am not on meds any more, and since LCing in October, my A1c count has never been better. (5.4 % ) Good luck to you!

Connie

mrstmitch
Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:12
Hey, John!

Most of us have been there, done that when it comes to slipping off our plan!! Congrats on making it back and realizing that low carb is the way to go for your health! This time you WILL make it stick, especially since you've experienced an initial weight loss, and as you go, you'll feel SO much better!

WELCOME!!!! :wave:

JohnMD
Tue, Mar-14-06, 09:43
Thanks for the big welcome, Connie and Mrstmitch! It's nice to be on board.

Connie, your A1c number is great! My last A1C was 7.0 back in late January. I'm hoping to see a big drop in that number next time I'm tested.

Thanks again for the welcome!