PDA

View Full Version : No Knee and needs to lose badly

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

No Knee
Tue, Mar-14-06, 00:41
Hi

I have had 28 operations since 1992 and have slowly put on the pounds--I don't like myself like this- and now have to be "mother of the Bride" for my step-daughter May 13th of this year--

I dread the pictures--

I have tried to diet-but invariably fail when stress gets to be too much- I SO wanted to have my new knee before the wedding but due to complications from a Graff last Sept have to wait until my leg completely heals before they can operate again and I get my third knee replacement--

Hard to take at 54 years of age when I still think of myself as in my 30's!!

What do you suggest when I can't make myself deny what I crave once again??

I need help--I love the low carb diet- no bread makes the swelling in my leg recede so why can't I stay on it--

No Knee

SidC
Tue, Mar-14-06, 01:44
Ah, the 30's! When we felt so old because we still remembered our teens or twenties!
No knee, what has helped me is thinking about what I want to feel like and what I want to be able to do. I want to feel like I am in control of at least some parts of my destiny. And I want to be able to ski, hike, garden ferociously, and feel that I look great when I go out or go to weddings with all those photos.
What do you really want, in your heart? If there is just too much going on right now with things like knee operations (non-trivial!,) then give yourself a break, and wait until things are better before you take on new challenges. If you think you are really ready for a change, then marshall your reasons and :agree: go for it.

Just don't beat yourself up for being human.

AuntJoyce
Wed, Mar-15-06, 23:45
You've lost 6 pounds so that's very good! I get that leg swelling too with bread or ice cream. I'm into my 2nd week of cheat free Induction and it feels great. This time around I've been trying to address my mental attitude so that I'm prepared to avoid temptations. I feel this is a battle and I have to win it. I've made a commitment and I cannot turn back. I keep the Atkins book out as well as some others so I can read it and make sure I am eating the right things and taking the right supplements. The support on this forum has helped too. I see that others are doing the same things.

Are you dealing with emotions and stress from your operations and/or physical hunger and cravings? The physical hunger should subside if you can really stick to the program.

Are you seeing a physical therapist? Are you doing some isometric exercise? How about those big rubber bands to use for your arms? Whatever you can do might be empowering and maybe get some endorphins going. Would it help to think of how Lance Armstrong made it through his cancer treatment? Or how about the military vets coming back without their limbs and have to relearn to walk with prosthetics?

Do you like to cook? Try some new recipes. I like to make a pot of soup and then freeze it in individual portions. Then it is easy to microwave. But if it is difficult for you to stand in the kitchen, there may be some South Beach frozen dinners to keep on hand. I usually take the individually wrapped string cheese with me. Or the canned Atkins shakes. Just helps to be prepared.

Good luck and know that many of us are in there with you fighting the fight!