PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Question...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Phrogg27
Mon, Mar-13-06, 22:54
Opinions on which coconut oil to buy and who to order it from on line...Tropical Traditions or Wilderness Family? Those seem to be the popular ones. Should I get the Extra Virgin or a different type. I would like to use it for cooking as well as its all around health benefits. I'm just confused as to which type I should buy. Any help and suggestions from those that use it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Christal
Mon, Mar-13-06, 23:30
Nutiva brand is good too......

There's a site called Netrition that has that brand or Whole Foods has some in their stores.

I love coconut oil. Extra Virgin or Virgin is good.

Luzyanna
Mon, Mar-13-06, 23:44
I order mine from Netrition too. I love it!!!!!!!!

Zuleikaa
Tue, Mar-14-06, 07:19
I order mine from tropicaltraditions.com. It's extra virgin with a coconut taste to it.

black57
Tue, Mar-14-06, 07:53
I get my extra virgin coconut oil from the Whole Foods Market. It is called Jarrow Formulas.

Wtf?
Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:25
If you call up Wilderness Family Naturals, you can order a sample of each for $1 and they'll ship it via regular USPS so the shipping is only about another buck. Alsok, if you read over their site, they have all the information on coconut oil to help you decide which one to buy.

dreamseeds
Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:16
Wilderness Family is wonderful. I get the more expensive one that is centrifuge extracted. I have tried a few different coconut oils and this one we like best most certain!

yoyaney
Tue, Mar-14-06, 12:37
Can you get coconut oil in a store? Health food store? GNC? I can't order on line. Does anyone know?

Supermomm4
Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:34
I have looked everywhere for it in stores and have yet to find it.
I even went to the "finer foods" store by my gym and they didn't have it.

yoyaney
Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:39
I found it in a store! I called and they carry coconut oil! It is a store called down to earth - not a chain store. They carry stuff that is organic and healthy and blah blah blah I can't remember what it said in the yellow pages but anyway, I FOUND SOME! Yippee! Now I get to see what all the hype is about!!!!

black57
Tue, Mar-14-06, 17:32
I have purchased coconut milk at Ralph's ( Kroger ). I have not looked for coconut oil there. I get my coconut oil at the Whole Foods Market.

Shreen
Tue, Mar-14-06, 19:12
Could someone please give me the real deal on coconut oil? I have some from the grocery store (must be processed- not coconut tasting...) Also some extra virgin from Netrition. How much do I eat? What is it good for? I made some LC chocolates w/ them (Cocoa powder, coconut oil, inulin, erythritol, sucralose/polydextrose blend for fiber) & eat a couple a day- is that good? I have been LC'ing for 10 years, but still can't see all that fat GOOD for you!

Phrogg27
Tue, Mar-14-06, 20:51
This has got to be the best forum EVER!!! You have all helped me so much. I decided to go with the Wilderness Family Naturals for my CO. I did buy some Spectrum a while ago at the store. It's refined (all they had) and awful. It's gritty and even has fuzz in it!!! Obviously, I will not eat this junk, but it's fine for my skin. So...I am looking forward to getting the good stuff!

Again...thank you all so much. What nice people you are!!!

:wave:

madpiano
Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:42
I buy coconut oil at the asian food store. It's not virgin and it is processed, but it easily available. It is solid but does come in bottles. Just heat it up at home and fill into an empty butter box. One hint though: if you have cats, keep it covered! I keep mine next to the cooker (no need to refrigerate it) and I lost the lid from the butter box... The cat was happy, but I decided I might not want to use it anymore for human consumption. His fur is really shiny though and a small bottle lasts him 2 months...

black57
Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:54
Could someone please give me the real deal on coconut oil? I have some from the grocery store (must be processed- not coconut tasting...) Also some extra virgin from Netrition. How much do I eat? What is it good for? I made some LC chocolates w/ them (Cocoa powder, coconut oil, inulin, erythritol, sucralose/polydextrose blend for fiber) & eat a couple a day- is that good? I have been LC'ing for 10 years, but still can't see all that fat GOOD for you!

The article I have in She Knows Low Carb magazine recommends 3 1/2 tablespoons. I have had only good experiences from eating fats so I have concluded that all that fat is good for you.