PDA

View Full Version : Having a Hard Time Getting Started

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fikirimi
Mon, Mar-13-06, 17:56
I've been on the Atkins diet before, when it first came out in the 1970s or whenever it was. I was in my 20s, that's all I know for sure! :) I had some success with this, but regained plus put on more, bla bla bla. Same old story. I've always been fat. This is nothing recent for me. It runs in the family.

I'm in my early 50s now. I hate to tell you how much I weigh because it's always been a source of pain and embarrassment. I can't talk to anyone about this because no one who hasn't struggled with weight has anything to say that isn't ignorant at best or obnoxious and hurtful, no matter how well-intended it may be.

The current problem is I'm having a hard time even getting started back on Atkins. I'm convinced I have a carbohydrate addiction, so a few years ago I made an effort to try to cut sugar out as much as possible. I went from HAVING to have a candy bar (or two or three) every afternoon to now only occasionally giving in to sugar cravings. Mostly now it's cereal and toast that I have a hard time giving up, even though I eat cereal without sugar and toast only with butter.

It's nice to have a forum like this to come to where most of you, having been there and done that, know what I'm going through. I will not speak to anyone at work about what I'm doing because, as I said before, I do not want to hear all the ignorant comments and useless advice. I'm a pretty private person and getting more so all the time.

I'm hoping this forum will give me the support and inspiration I need, and that I can offer the same to those who sign on after me.

Lesle
Tue, Mar-14-06, 05:49
I know what you mean about it really being hard to get started! I have been on the Induction phase of Atkins several times. I have fallen off the wagin and regained a lot of weight too. BUT, sticking with this way of eating is well worth the effort. You will be amazed how, after the first few days of a clean honest Induction how different you feel! Yes, you (and most of us here are carb addicts), but after just a few days you will find all those cravings will disappear! Really! And that "freedom" is SO wonderful after so many years of "needing" the candy etc.
I am about your age too, so looks like we have lots in common. Maybe we can encourage each other!
Take care...and never stop trying!
Lesle

Fikirimi
Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:42
Leslie, thank you so much! It's nice to know someone out there in the same age group. That does add another dimension to the whole process. Yes, I would love to stay in touch and be each other's cheering section!

I know I will feel better, it's just that the cravings have been in charge lately. I've recently started taking L-glutamine supplements again, as they helped me with sugar cravings before. It is one of the supplements recommended in the Atkins Diet Revolution. It takes me an unusually long time for carb cravings to subside, like more than six months. One good thing: I've changed my mindset so that I now actually feel embarrassed about buying sugary snacks at the grocery store!! And I remind myself: will I feel better if I eat that? The answer is almost always "No!!"

Yesterday I started looking for new low carb recipes in order to prepare myself. It's getting me back in the groove! Today is my first day back to low-carb eating!

Congratulations on your 34-lb loss!!

boree
Tue, Mar-14-06, 12:09
Welcome Fikirimi!! I too am close to your age, and I know the pain of being overweight and the feeling of no self control. It is a daily struggle for me, like someone battling with alcohol or drugs almost. Everyday I get up and pray for strength and peace about my eating for the day. May I suggest starting a journal on here, that way you can keep a daily record of what you eat, your feelings, anything you'd like to, and others can drop in and say hello and check on how you're doing. :)

Connie

Mousesmom
Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:14
Welcome Fikirimi! So glad you found us.

This is a remarkable place to come for support, ideas and recipes. Check out the recipes forums for lots of great ideas.

The first fews days are tough but totally worth it!! Drink lots of water and it will help to get you through breaking the addiction to carbs.

Take care and keep visiting.

Julie

Alura
Tue, Mar-14-06, 14:17
Welcome Fikirimi!

This place is wonderful, giving you new ideas every day, support....and if you are like me it's a place to feel at home in your thoughts! My mind races, with what to eat, when to eat...what is best for me, ect. and I can spend time in here just reading, and settle my thoughts!!

GOOD LUCK to YOU!!

Fikirimi
Tue, Mar-14-06, 17:04
I too am close to your age, and I know the pain of being overweight and the feeling of no self control. It is a daily struggle for me, like someone battling with alcohol or drugs almost.

I firmly believe that there is a closer connection between alcoholism and carb addiction than the medical community knows or acknowledges. They both are metabolized very similarly, they both produce blood sugar spikes and crashes, and both alcohol cravings and sugar cravings can be reduced with L-glutamine supplements. I have also recently read an article which stated there is a connection between depression caused by chemical imbalance and a craving for carbohydrates. I have felt all my life that my weight problem is a result of something physical that hadn't yet been identified and NOT a character defect.

Thank you all for your warm welcome. I know you are all kindred spirits, and I feel like I am among friends. That's not a feeling that I have experienced often. I was looking forward all day to coming home and spending time on this forum. I'm so glad I found this haven! Hugs to all!! :)

gemiigirl
Tue, Mar-14-06, 20:20
Baby steps,Baby steps...It really works...WELCOME HOME !!!!!

Good luck to ya !!!!

Stacy