PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Go Shopping!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mimi150
Sun, Mar-12-06, 13:08
Hi all, :wave:

I am going grocery shopping today to begin atkins 2morrow. I am so excited, but i don't know where to begin with a grocery list. I have read the book ad was wondering if anyone has suggestions for staples I should definetely buy.

Also I have a few questions all relating to induction:

1) Can i eat peanut butter, like on celery for snack?
2) Do i really have to cut out coffee....can I at least have 1 cup of regular
coffee?
3) For lunch can I use low carb wraps to make sadwiches?

Thanxs!!

Alura
Sun, Mar-12-06, 13:35
http://sugarfreesheila.com/index.html <--she has a fabulous shopping list area!

SidC
Sun, Mar-12-06, 13:42
It's great that you want to start on a healthier way of eating. You say you're starting on Atkins, but you put "not sure" about plan in your personal profile. It would probably be much easier for you if you do choose a specific plan, though. There are several kinds of low-carb diets - Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, the GO-diet... to name just a few. And they all do things slightly differently in terms of what foods are allowed and how you progress.

Here is a link that gives a brief description of most of the options: Comparison of Low Carb Options (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/)

Here is a link where you can read more about Atkins and South Beach: About.com (http://weightloss.about.com/cs/atkinsbasics/a/aa052803a.htm)

Also I have a few questions all relating to induction:

1) Can i eat peanut butter, like on celery for snack?
2) Do i really have to cut out coffee....can I at least have 1 cup of regular
coffee?
3) For lunch can I use low carb wraps to make sadwiches?
On induction in Atkins, the answers to all of these are no, though I bet there's more than one of us out there (I'm guilty!) who continued to drink coffee through induction. Some have reported they think drinking coffee may have interefered with their weight loss.

Do you have a copy of Atkins New Diet Revolution? He lays out exactly what you can and cannot do in induction, as well as how to move to your ultimate weight loss goal. Best of luck to you!

mimi150
Sun, Mar-12-06, 13:53
Oh yes I guess i should update that... i have decided atkins and have read DANDR... thanks for the info.

mimi150
Sun, Mar-12-06, 13:54
http://sugarfreesheila.com/index.html <--she has a fabulous shopping list area!

thanks for the lik.. exactly what i was looking for!

Ohio Kim
Sun, Mar-12-06, 15:28
The answer to all your questions is NO.. make sure you eat exactly what you are supposed to eat - buy and eat what is on the list. Without doing it by the book, you won't be successful.

SidC
Mon, Mar-13-06, 01:22
Mimi - the links I posted in my previous reply were reversed. I fixed it; hope there was no confusion. Apologies!

mimi150
Mon, Mar-13-06, 08:42
I actually googled it when i noticed that... thanks!

Elizellen
Mon, Mar-13-06, 12:17
You could always make 'pseudo-wraps' out of thin omelettes until you reach the OWL rung (level) on which all the ingredients of the commercially-made wraps are legal!!

mimi150
Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:05
Ok a continuation of my first question:

I was in the store last night and saw some tortilla wraps that have 13g carbs and 8g of fiber.. which would me a net carb of 5g... isn't that ok..for induction, considering it is only lunch and for breakfast I only consume 1-2g carbs and dinner is about 5-8g?

Also I saw some carb style peanut butter by skippy... it had 2gram of net carbs per 2 tablespoon, would that not be ok to put on celery?

I just don't see why not.. they are low in carbs? right or wrong...

Please help!

sinistress
Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:14
I understand your confusion ..... they are low in carbs. But...if you are following induction than you won't be allowed nuts till owl. Same with the tortillas and lc bread...not allowed till owl. Induction is used to kill cravings and get the bad stuff out of your body. You need to follow it correctly to get rid of all your cravings so that you can stay on plan. Do strict induction for 2 weeks then start adding in food by the carb ladder and you will reach the foods that you are wanting to add.

Hope this helps and good luck on losing!

mimi150
Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:28
Thanx for clearing that up for me... i just could not understand why not... makes complete sense now.