PDA

View Full Version : Is this working?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rae2u100
Mon, Mar-06-06, 07:24
Hello. I've been on induction for one week today. At first I started working out and doing slim fast. I gained 4 lbs in one week. Then someone suggested going low carb. I dropped 6 lbs. Then family came and in one weekend I gained almost 2 lbs. So last Monday I decided okay I have had it and I'm gonna do this for real. So I looked into atkins and started right away. Now since starting I dropped 3 more lbs or something like that for a total of 10lbs. Now I know that is great but also realize I have been dieting/working out for a month now. My fustration comes with over the weekend. I ate according to the diet and worked out Saturday morning even though I felt like crap with the "induction flu", but I went anyway. I come in to work this morning and weigh myself and haven't lost one pound. So let me give u a sum of what I ate this weekend.

Fri- mock danish with 1/2 tsp cocoa
2 cheese stick
coffee with coffemate sugar free creamer about 8 oz
chicken thigh and wing from ya ya's
small chicken salad from ya ya's with ranch dressing
london broil with soy sauce
tons of water
2 diet sodas

Sat- mock danish w/ 1/2 tsp cocoa
coffee with sugar free creamer about 3 oz
8 oz of smoked saugage
3 fried eggs
chicken wings with franks red hot made at home
poultry seasoning
some water and diet soda
sugar free no carb creamsicle stick

Sun- coffee w/ creamer-at least 10 oz
6 oz smoked sausage
3 fried eggs
hardee's low carb burger
steak from cody's roadhouse and 2 servings of salad minus carrots and croutons
1 cheese stick
about 30 oz of water ( i know) and diet soda

It seems that after the first week or so of any diet i'm on, i stop loosing and i get discouraged and quit. I was extremely excited about this way of life and now i'm slightly discouraged. Help!!!
All in all I don't think I did bad except for my coffee intake and not drinking as much water, which happens at home, but at work that's all i drink except for coffee in the morning. So if there are any suggestions, it's appreciated. Thanks. Rachel

MeBLady
Mon, Mar-06-06, 08:25
Hello. I've been on induction for one week today. At first I started working out and doing slim fast. I gained 4 lbs in one week. Then someone suggested going low carb. I dropped 6 lbs. Then family came and in one weekend I gained almost 2 lbs. So last Monday I decided okay I have had it and I'm gonna do this for real. So I looked into atkins and started right away. Now since starting I dropped 3 more lbs or something like that for a total of 10lbs. Now I know that is great but also realize I have been dieting/working out for a month now. My fustration comes with over the weekend. I ate according to the diet and worked out Saturday morning even though I felt like crap with the "induction flu", but I went anyway. I come in to work this morning and weigh myself and haven't lost one pound. So let me give u a sum of what I ate this weekend.

Fri- mock danish with 1/2 tsp cocoa
2 cheese stick
coffee with coffemate sugar free creamer about 8 oz
chicken thigh and wing from ya ya's
small chicken salad from ya ya's with ranch dressing
london broil with soy sauce
tons of water
2 diet sodas

Sat- mock danish w/ 1/2 tsp cocoa
coffee with sugar free creamer about 3 oz
8 oz of smoked saugage
3 fried eggs
chicken wings with franks red hot made at home
poultry seasoning
some water and diet soda
sugar free no carb creamsicle stick

Sun- coffee w/ creamer-at least 10 oz
6 oz smoked sausage
3 fried eggs
hardee's low carb burger
steak from cody's roadhouse and 2 servings of salad minus carrots and croutons
1 cheese stick
about 30 oz of water ( i know) and diet soda

It seems that after the first week or so of any diet i'm on, i stop loosing and i get discouraged and quit. I was extremely excited about this way of life and now i'm slightly discouraged. Help!!!
All in all I don't think I did bad except for my coffee intake and not drinking as much water, which happens at home, but at work that's all i drink except for coffee in the morning. So if there are any suggestions, it's appreciated. Thanks. Rachel

The creamcicle and mock danish are a flat out no no during induction. Sausage is okay, but you're eating quite a bit in one sitting -- sausage/franks are processed and contain a lot of sodium, could easily hinder your progress.

You are also eating stuff prepared in restaurants -- not necessarily bad either, but there could be hidden carbs/sugars/transfats that you are unaware of.

My advice is to eliminate the mock danish and creamcicle, limit your sausage to 1 to 2 oz. per day, limit the coffee to one cup with only a T of sugar free creamer, cut the diet soda (drink tea or water only).

If you can eat primarily at home, it is better, because you know exactly what ingrediants you are consuming....whole foods, fresh veggies will give you the best results. If cooking is a problem, you can prepare lots of stuff in advance and pop it in the microwave for a quick and easy whole, fresh meal.

The sodium in your menus could easily cause some water retention, especially if you are not drinking enough water.

Your menus are also lacking some veggies....you should be getting three cups of salad a day along with some "heavier" veggies -- keep your carbs at 20, but spend them on rich, nutricious sources from your alloted veggie list.

I think your culprit is most likely a variety of processed foods, too much coffee/diet soda and not enough water, perhaps a little too much sodium, and not enough veggies.

rae2u100
Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:01
Okay I figured I was drinking way too much coffee and I needed to cut that down or at least cut my creamer down. The sausage I can kinda see because it is processed. But the mock danish I was reading in other places and in the recipe forum that it is okay for mock danish in induction. So I am confused right there. And for instance last night at dinner I asked for no extra sauces to be used in preparing my steak and veggies. But I do see your point in eating more veggies, but they are all so high in carbs and I get scared. I am also extremely picky. I will definitely have to reevaluate my plan for the moment. Thanks for the quick response!

Meg_S
Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:08
enter your food into www.fitday.com then post the nutrients here ie: fat, protein, cals, carbs.. we and you might have a better idea s to why the weightloss slowed/stopped. ANother thing to take into consideration is that weightloss is NOT linear. You'll lose lbs, stop, lose more, stop... just don't give up when you stop for a period or you'll never lose it. There are a lot of reasons why the loss stops temporarily ie: fat cells holding onto water, PMS weight, caloric intake too high for your needs etc etc. Don't give up and keep visiting the forums!

rae2u100
Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:36
Thanks. I do go on fitday.com and post everything I eat..and so far have not gone over my carbs and my calories are averaging out at about 1800 for a day. I won't quit. I am determined this time to make it work. Like I've been told, it's gonna take as long to get it off as it did to put it on.

Meg_S
Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:46
once you read enough.. you'll notice a lot of trends.
You'll hear 50 different reasons why you're not losing weight... and 50 people who DO lose weight anyway for each reason given. Keep it up, you'll eventually find out what you need to do for yourself.

MeBLady
Mon, Mar-06-06, 10:04
Okay I figured I was drinking way too much coffee and I needed to cut that down or at least cut my creamer down. The sausage I can kinda see because it is processed. But the mock danish I was reading in other places and in the recipe forum that it is okay for mock danish in induction. So I am confused right there. And for instance last night at dinner I asked for no extra sauces to be used in preparing my steak and veggies. But I do see your point in eating more veggies, but they are all so high in carbs and I get scared. I am also extremely picky. I will definitely have to reevaluate my plan for the moment. Thanks for the quick response!

I could be wrong on the mock danish, depends on what you got in it.....I am thinking it is a LC bread type item?

I hear you on being picky, and also being scared of carbs -- I'm the same way. I tend to eat alot of the same things for days in a row because I am limited on the veggies that I actually will eat. I tend to eat a lot of raw spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, black olives, avocado. On being scared of carbs -- you don't want to zero out or spend your alloted carbs on LC junk. You need SOME carbs to get nutriants. Dark greens are the best.

Remember this -- if you are afraid of them now, you will end up having to be afraid of them forever. At some point when you are nearing your goal weight, you will slowly increase them, and you WANT your body to tolerate as many as possible in maintenance....this makes for a very liveable WOL. Keeping your carbs at the 5-10 a day range now will put you at a bigger risk for binges with a good possibility of developing an intolerance for carbs in the future -- you don't want to get stuck keeping them too low in maintenance later on.

I agree with the other poster about finding out what works best for you, and that it varies with each individual.

However, processed foods, LC junk? It WON'T repair the damage to your body from being overweight, and you WON'T see maximum weight loss results. Use LC products and processed foods to a flat out minimum now, and in moderation later on. IMO.

Don't give up -- this WOE really does work, and you CAN do this!

rae2u100
Mon, Mar-06-06, 10:23
Thank you. I think I just saw the light at the end of the tunnel or something. You are right. The mock danish is just an egg, cream cheese, splenda, vanilla, and i add hersheys cocoa but only a tiny amount so it's 2 less carbs. I will wait on eating that until after induction or just cut out the cocoa. I just wrote out a list of the veggies I like. I even have some at home. :D and now will use them more. Sooo with that said...I will now do it. I didn't realize I was filling up my carbs with junk like my creamer. I feel better now and more hopeful about the future. Again thanks.

MeBLady
Mon, Mar-06-06, 11:57
Thank you. I think I just saw the light at the end of the tunnel or something. You are right. The mock danish is just an egg, cream cheese, splenda, vanilla, and i add hersheys cocoa but only a tiny amount so it's 2 less carbs. I will wait on eating that until after induction or just cut out the cocoa. I just wrote out a list of the veggies I like. I even have some at home. :D and now will use them more. Sooo with that said...I will now do it. I didn't realize I was filling up my carbs with junk like my creamer. I feel better now and more hopeful about the future. Again thanks.

Those carbs within the extra little comfort fillers can add up quick, and coffee creamer is a big one! I know some that put a few drizzles of Davinci's SF syrup, or use heavy whipping cream w/1 packet of Splenda as a substitute. Green tea is also a good alternative, and MUCH healthier for you (and can also assist in weight loss).

I love my Hazelnut coffeemate, so I ended up obstaining completely from coffee during weight loss mode, added it back in maintenance, and just now starting to feel that it is getting away from me. I'll be happy when warmer weather hits, as I tend to only drink coffee on cold mornings.

That mock danish actually sounds pretty good! IMO, if you can do without the Splenda and cocoa, it would be "better". Cream cheese is very high in calorie too, not something you really have to be that mindful about right now with your higher weight....but if you eliminate processed foods/LC junk and still don't see good results, cream cheese would be the first additional thing I would consider eliminating.

Glad you can see a light at the end of the tunnel -- its definitely there :-)

I started LCing a year ago over 200 lbs., feeling pretty hopeless that I would ever take the weight off. The time went by fast and the weight came off pretty quickly. Can't say I've ever done a "diet" that was this doable and made me feel so great, both physically and mentally.

Stick to whole foods, eliminate the processed junk, get the majority of your carbs from healthy sources, and in just a few months, you will be in awe at how you feel and how you look.

bkloots
Wed, Mar-08-06, 10:04
Check the label on that coffee creamer. Usually these things are heavy on hydrogenated fats (that's trans-fats--the nasties), and pretty high in carbs.

Why not take Dr. Atkins at his word, and go for real cream? You can use SF flavorings if you like. The fats in cream are good for providing energy and satiety. Or, if you think too many calories may be a culprit, opt for half-n-half.

Some versions of DANDR allow cream cheese on induction, some don't. As in everything, moderation is recommended.

vavcon
Wed, Mar-08-06, 10:16
Weight loss doesn't happen just because you want it to - or even because you work the plan and don't cheat.

I've been on aktins/pp for a month now, no cheats, lots of veggies, 3rd week of working out at least 4x per week, and I'm still fluctuating - my *lowest* weight is the 205.6 - that's less than 8 pounds in one month of good solid effort. And I've got at least 68 to lose (if not more)!

The up side is that I feel great, better than I have in years. I'm not hungry, not as tired, and I've gone off my anti-depressant and am quitting smoking (okay, that part sucks).

So should I quit because I'm not losing weight very fast and thus, go back to *gaining* weight? Nope, not for me, not anymore. I deserve better.

Hang in there. Keep on keepin' on. If it takes you a YEAR to get to goal, what then? Either next march you'll be a total hottie who can't wait to put on that bikini, or you'll look like you do today (or heavier).

You can do it!
Chris

rae2u100
Wed, Mar-08-06, 10:26
Thanks guys..well for an update, I cut way back on the coffee and am trying to cut out as much sodium as possible. I also added in my 3 cups of veggies a day and am drinking the full amount of water. So I am happy to say I have lost 2.5 lbs since Monday when I posted this. So thanks for the encouragement. It does pay to stick with it and keep going. You guys are absolutely wonderful!!!! Thanks again!! :D