PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER question to ponder...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bankbaybe
Sun, Mar-05-06, 17:10
What is an accurate way to track how many calories I need per day. I use fitday, and it says I need something like this:

Calories Burned Today
source cals % total
Total: 3157
Basal: 1913 61%
Lifestyle: 1244 39%
Activities: 0 0

Notice I have NO activities listed. Which number is accurate, if I want to lose weight?

I am not as concerned with my caloric intake at this point, since I'm doing Atkins Induction, but it would be nice to know what I need to shoot for.:)

Thanks..

Brennabug
Sun, Mar-05-06, 17:29
tha TOTAL is the correct one

they show you how many you burn just by being alive (basal)
and lifestyle is how many youburn just doing everyday things (not exercise )
If you do exercise and log it under activited in fitday, it will add that amount to your total.
Your total is how much you burned for everything you did today

If you burned 3157
and you ate (just an estimate) 2000

you would get this

_____

so today you have burned off 1157 EXCeSS calories.

Hope that helps

Bren

bankbaybe
Sun, Mar-05-06, 17:40
Thanks. I see what you're saying. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. This means that I would basically have to eat less than 1000 per day, AND combine exercise if I wanted to lose a pound a day, which some people on Atkins do. Apparently the lack of carbs somehow is calculated differently, because I don't see ANYONE here eating that few calories, and most people are NOT exercising to burn those calories....

Strange, strange...:)

Brennabug
Sun, Mar-05-06, 17:43
exactly, if you eat fat and NOT carbs or very LOW carbs, you body doesnt process the fat or the calories from the fat etc. so its not actually USING all of the calories you put into it. Like a calorie bypass if you will :) :)
aint life grand!

Bren

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Mar-15-06, 23:23
I'm all confused......lol.

Gemmafafen
Thu, Mar-16-06, 05:49
On induction I found I had to keep an eye on my cals to make sure I ate enough. I was always at 800 or something silly and had to add fat to get it over 1000 so i didn't go into stavation mode- its so hard when you aren't hungry!

Also- isn't it harder for your body to process protein than carbs and therfore burns more calories doing so?

Gem.

bankbaybe
Thu, Mar-16-06, 20:26
That's what I was thinking, ya'll. Yeah, it's a bit confusing, but if u really think about it, it makes sense. Thanks to eveyone who came by.:)

kathyhegg
Fri, Mar-17-06, 04:56
I have no idea how much I'm eating at the moment, but i have a feeling its not enough. I never thought I'd have that problem. I'm never hungry anymore