PDA

View Full Version : Just started today

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pokey
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:01
I think I might have done this wrong i was trying to introduce myself but did not see where to do it SORRY!!
Hi,
Well I am just starting the Atkins Diet today. I am so excited to do this. I have been fat all my life except for about 2 years before I got pregnant its been all down hill from there. I know losing the weight will be real self esteem booster.
I have 3 things I am working on this year. 1 losing weight, 2 quit smoking, and 3 to cut out caffine. I hope i havent set myself up for failure by taking on to much at one time. But i figured what the heck.

I do have a couple questions. Is it correct that you have to only eat what is on the list in the Induction chapter? You cannot substitute other carbs like sunflower seeds for your veges? I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Pokey
P.S. how do you just post a message normally???

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:09
Welcome Pokey!

While on induction you can only choose what is on the induction list. No substitutes. After your two weeks the menu opens up a bit and you can start increasing your daily carb limit.

You are braver than I was! I quit smoking, and gave myself 8 months before I started a diet. I knew I would end up failing if I tried all at once. Took me 5 attempts over the years to give smoking up. Finally made it happen June 2000.

If you need anything just ask ;) This is a great group of people on this forum.

Pokey
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:22
Hi thanks for the imput.
The reason i am doing the diet and quiting smoking is i have heard there is sugar in cigs plus i am ready to quit. Also i gained 30 lbs last time i tried to quit. So i figured why not do both i will be losing weight and quitting cigs both that way i wont worry about gaining. Not sure if any of that made sense Sorry if not. But in any case i am stoked. Ready to lose.
It about noon and i still am fine without a cig. A little hungry though :( but its lunch time soon.

Thanks,
Pokey

Dinky
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:19
Be very strict during the induction part, then slowly you will be able to experiment with what you can eat and continue to loose. Also, try to think of how filling or satisfying something is for the carbs. Sunflower seeds won't 'stick with you' very long.

Good luck. You can do it. This is absolutely the best WOE to control you life, your weight, your energy - and not feel like your going to starve to death!

agonycat
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:41
One thing about sunflower seeds: SALT

I know..I was addicted to the silly things and just couldn't get enough salt. Can you say water retention? :)

EllieEats
Sat, Jan-05-02, 15:57
Congrats Pokey!!! on giving up the 2 vices at once!!
I quit smoking for 1 1/2 years and started up again. I put on lots of extra pounds :mad: Now I have decided to get down to my goal and then quit again. You are right about smoking affecting blood sugar and taking away a little the effectiveness of this WOE--- but I'm just not ready again yet and you have to be ready.
Did you check out the quit smoking thread here??

Best of luck to you!!! See you around the forum!!!
Ellie :wave:

K-Louise
Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:03
Welcome.

You are inspiring.

When I gave up smoking I wished I had known about low - carb eating. Giving up caffiene is much easier when you don't smoke, and giving up caffiene will certainly help you lose weight on the WOE.

I used patches, and they sure helped. 8 years smoke free now!

You should find post by Carol LeFa. She has just started low-carb in the past couple of days, and is also quitting smoking. You 2 could be extra support for each other.

I will say the same to you as her... DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER.

Will help with your caffiene/cigarette/carb withdrawal. And you will lose weight better if you drink more water.

:wave: welcome
Kim

Pokey
Sun, Jan-06-02, 00:20
Thank You!

My biggest reason for not wanting to quit smoking was the weight gain. But know i dont have to worry about that. Actually the one i am struggling with is caffine. I am more addicted to that than anything. You know some people really need to be careful about cutting out caffine. I have heard that some people have actually had to go to the hospital because they quit cold turkey.
I am weaning myself off of it. I know it will slow down weight loss but i am pretty satisfied with what i am losing so far.

Toodles
:wave:

Desert Mo
Sun, Jul-19-15, 12:04
I do have a couple questions. Is it correct that you have to only eat what is on the list in the Induction chapter? You cannot substitute other carbs like sunflower seeds for your veges? I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Pokey

Yes, eat only what's on the list. No substitutions while in Induction.

JEY100
Sun, Jul-19-15, 12:09
This thread hasn't had a post in 13 years! :lol:
Check when using Google search you are reading current posts.

Desert Mo
Sun, Jul-19-15, 12:11
When I gave up smoking
I used patches, and they sure helped. 8 years smoke free now!

Kim

Me, too. Quit 1998 with the three-patch system, second weaker than the first in nicotine supplied, third weakest of all. Was home-caring for my mother that summer after her bypass surgery, so kept very busy & of course could not smoke around her even if I wanted to. Keeping mind & body busy with something besides the smoking desire (=nicotine addiction, in my view) helped me for the 3-4 months I was on the patches. I prolonged the time suggested for wearing each patch. When I pulled off the last patch at the start of August that year, I had absolutely no desire then or later to smoke again. And so it's been for 17 years. BUT I wasn't trying to do one or two other big lifestyle changes at the same time. No suggestion here about what you are doing, or anyone else is doing, just sharing what worked for me in ending my years with smoking.

bluesinger
Sun, Jul-19-15, 12:13
My DH is 67 and has been smoking since he was 12 years old. He tried and tried to quit, even volunteered for trial (which ruined his health, but that's another story). He uses e-cigs. Most people wean themselves gradually off the nicotine, but he still uses. The good thing is that he can smoke them anywhere until the laws change, and I don't have to smell it. Also, he doesn't get all the horrible additives they put in the regular cigarettes in the USA.

My daughter, her husband, my son-in-law and countless others have gotten off nicotine completely using e-cigs.