PDA

View Full Version : First time on atkins wondering if i could get help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

josh2154
Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:32
This is my first time using the atkins diet I was wondering if i could have some of these following meats

Hamburger
Roast Beef (fried and not fried)
Chicken
Fish
Steak
Pork Chop

and I heard that one day out of the week you can have like 3 slices of pizza because your supposed to get enough carbs to not get sick or somthing??

thanks

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:41
All meats you have listed are a okay!

As far as pizza goes....um BIG NO NO!

Have you read the book? If not pick up a copy or go to the library and borrow one.

No bread. No pasta. No rice. No beans. No high starchy veggies aka potatoes. No bananas. No sugar. No flour whatsoever. No processed cheese or meat products. No peas or carrots.

The diet consists of mainly unprocessed meats (those you have listed), veggies (salad greens, green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower), heavy cream, butter, cheese, eggs. The book actually has a list of foods by type that you can have. (Another reason to get the book)

If you eat your veggies you will get plenty of carbs not to get "sick". Main point of the diet is to get away from those fattening type foods and eat healthier.

:)

josh2154
Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:45
wait i just had fried roast beef w/ 1 slice of american cheese is that ok (is the cheese ok?) and a water for a drink

and whats the book called?

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:48
Processed cheese is cheese containing other ingredients other than dairy. Like veletta, cheese whiz, also some cheeze slices are processed so read the label!

Fried roast beef is okay provided it was NOT coated with anything. aka bread crumbs or flour. Those are no nos.

Book is called:

Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution.

josh2154
Wed, Jan-02-02, 14:02
so is american cheese alright to eat?

what about hot dogs?

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 14:14
Josh, depending on how the american cheese was made, it may not be okay to eat. Depending on which company made it and how it was processed. That is why I said read the label.

Most hard cheese is fine the type that is sold in blocks, not the prewrapped individual slice type. Best to read the label. If it reads like a chemist list then it's not okay.

Hot dogs are processed meats. Some hot dogs have fewer carbs than others due to the fillers. aka grain or sugars. Hot dogs are not allowed on induction. Period. After your 2 weeks if you must have hot dogs I would suggest selecting a brand that has the lowest amount of carbs. Hot dog buns are a no no regardless if on induction or not.

You will need to get use to the fact that following a low carb diet will cause you to stop and read the packaging labels to find out what is inside. Buying whole or fresh foods is normally your best bet.

:) Happy low carbin!

josh2154
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:49
is butter salt and popcorn alright?

is there an easier way to talk to you besides this?

Karen
Wed, Jan-02-02, 16:26
No, it's not alright.

Pick up a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it. Then, re-read the induction chapter. You need it to follow the program properly. The forum is a great resource, but it is not a good substitute for the getting right information if you want to be successful with changing your eating habits.

Low-carbing not a quick weight loss scheme. You will have to eat this way for the rest of your life and learning how to read labels, figure out carb counts and what your daily maximum carb intake can be is crucial.

Many people become frustrated and fail because they haven't done any reading or research into low-carb and how it works. Don't do that to yourself.

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Jan-02-02, 16:37
hi Josh,

Have a look at the orange menu bar near the top of the page. You'll see Low Carb Tips. Click on that, and you'll come to a page of articles about various lowcarb issues. Near the bottom, you'll see Low Carb Basics and Frequently Asked Questions. It would be good for you to read those ... they will answer basic questions for you such as these. They will NOT substitute for reading and gaining knowledge from the true program book though, but they'll give you a good idea what lowcarbing IS and what it IS NOT.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted of your progress!

Doreen

black57
Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:24
Josh, follow Karens advice, go read the book. Do not consider yourself a low-carber until you are truthfully informed about how it works. Then things will make sense.

Black

MKA1
Mon, Oct-13-03, 14:08
Another good place to visit is www.atkinscenter.com. There is a lot of helpful information there also.

LadyBelle
Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:02
Until you get a copy of the book, read a few important articles on the Atkins web site

List of Acceptable foods for Induction: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Rules of Induction: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

Walmart has the latest edition of New Diet Revolution for only around $6. It is a definate must have. After 2 weeks of induction you start adding back things like fruits, fresh dairy, whole grains, and other healthy carbs. Pizza is not a health food period. You can eat the toppings off of pizza occasionaly if you are being social, but no crust.

As for the getting enough carbs as to not get sick. You won't get sick from lack of carbs. This however is not a no carb diet. During induction you should be getting 20g of net carbs (total carbs - fiber) a day. Most of those come from veggies, eggs, cheese, cream and other foods.

Also sign up for an account at www.fitday.com It's free and will help you to make sure you are getting 20 net carbs, as well as getting a good percentage of fats.