PDA

View Full Version : New Member Hello to all!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carrie Ann
Wed, Jan-02-02, 09:32
Hello there!! I am so glad I stumbled onto this sight while looking for recipes. I started the Atkins program today, although I have to admit I am a tad leary of the eat all the fat you want theory, my boyfriend has done it in the past says it works, we are doing it togther now, I also read the book and it looks like a plan I can definatley follow. I lost about 60 pounds two years ago by cutting out carbs, like bred and pasta, and fast food. I kept it off for awhile, but after this first year teaching, it is creeping back on. The plan is to catch it before I have to start over from the VERY beginning!!! Anyway.,... I can use all of the support I can get, and I love corresponding through email with a weight loss buddy, so email away people! And I can assure you I will be back often!!!!

HeyCE
Wed, Jan-02-02, 14:38
I saw your post and didn't want you to feel all lonely. Have you started a journal? Read some of the ones already posted? I've been on this one week and have found it fairly effortless to do AND have lost weight. You can do this!

:D

HeyCE
Wed, Jan-02-02, 14:41
Oh and our weight loss goals are similar. I am a little shorter than you (I got nosy :) - I am five foot eight. A music teacher! What wonderful work you do. So, we already know you have the patience of the saint--I have no doubt you can stop the weight gain and reverse it. Your boyfriend is doing it, too, so that will help. Yeah!

I'll keep in touch. The support really helps! :D

razzle
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:31
welcome carrie ann!

I was like you at the beginning, afraid automatically of high fat eating, but then I got my blood work results and wow! All the values that they think can predict heart disease were much improved because I had eaten more fat (and fewer carbs, natch). So think about getting a lipid panel done now and again every 2-3 months, just to reassure yourself that things are getting better.

Also, when you allow yourself as much fat as you want, you may find you eat far less than you once imagined. For one thing, without grains to smear butter on, it's actually pretty hard to imagine ways to add fat that is not already in the meat/cheese you eat. If I didn't eat dairy, there's no way I could keep this WOE high-fat, in fact.

If you still are concerned, think about reading the excellent books on healthy fats out there--Emig, or that one Nat is reading (forget the title/author, sorry). In short, the vegetable based fats like avocados and seeds/nuts are (they think) very healthy for us; if you eat free-range chicken eggs too, you'll go a long way towad improving the quality of the fats you eat.

Best of luck!

DoodleBug
Wed, Jan-02-02, 19:51
I had to say hello, because I am a Carrie Ann too! I don't go by the Ann part, but that is my middle name! I have never seen as many Carries as there are floating around this board! This is a great WOE and this is a great place to get the support you need to make it work for you! Use the search function to find info on topics that you have questions about, ask questions in the forums and definitely start a journal! You are on your way!
Hugs,
Carrie
:sunny:

Carrie Ann
Thu, Jan-03-02, 06:13
Thank you all sooo much for the words of encouragement, I can tell I am going to like this place!! I made it through the first day. It wasn't hard at all really. You are right, Razzle, when you said about not having the bread to smear the butter on!!

I have a question that maybe one of you more knowledgeable Low_carb people can answer. Why no cottage cheese during the induction period of the Atkins diet. The kind that I usually eat said that it only has one gram of carb, I was just wondering if there was a special reason. I love the stuff, but I suppose I can wait a couple of weeks! :)

Doodlebug, it's true, there are a lot of Carrie's here. There are not a lot down here in Kentucky. I have noticed that that is a very Northern name. I never used to go by Carrie Ann, I still don't some of the time. But there is a funny reason that I added it recently. My fiance's last name is Gary.... and Carrie-Ann Gary sounds a lot better than Carrie Gary.... at least it takes people an added 10 seconds to giggle. Hehehhee!

Karen
Thu, Jan-03-02, 21:55
Carrie-Ann, if you have a container handy, can you give the serving size, calories, protein, fat and carb count?

I suspect a serving is quite small if it has 1 gram.

Karen