PDA

View Full Version : Question about caloric intake

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bankbaybe
Sat, Mar-04-06, 00:17
I was wondering if any of you kept or keep track of your caloric intake by using a calculator to figure your daily caloric needs? I found one online at: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html but I'm not sure I should be eating that many calories. Anyone who knows me knows I'm trying to lose about 100 lbs, and I am going to be working out with weights and cardio 6 days a week. I would be very happy to lose at least 10 lbs a month.

Also, I am trying desperately to avoid the loose skin issue that comes with weightloss. Does anyone have any advice in that area? Does working out with weights help this issue?

I'm 32 years old, and I have, believe it or not, very few stretch marks, and those are predominately on my hip area. ( which is where I tend to gain the most weight.. I'm a classic pear)..lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jennifer

Saccharine
Sat, Mar-04-06, 11:12
There's an amazing woman who works at the college i go to- she started at over 300 lbs i think, and is now down to what looks like a very healthy size- through ONLY diet and excersize. she does not have loose skin problems, and she told me that the key IS weight training. she spends over an hour at the gym every day with weights, and does cardio on top of it. I'll see if i can find some more info for her plan- she's had several articles written up about her. :)

Unfinished
Sun, Mar-05-06, 16:15
Like many on this forum, I keep track of both carbs and calories on Fitday. While I didn't track calories at all during my initial weight-loss, as my wieght-loss slowed I began to track calories along with carbs, and it's helped tremendously (alonf with exercise). I'm able to tweak my choices each day and maintain my caloric and carbohydrate intakes where I want them. Thanks to low-carbing, watching calories is a matter of small changes, not deprivation.

jennabrams
Sun, Mar-05-06, 16:35
I also use fitday. I'm not sure it's always accurate because sometimes I can't find what I need, but at least it gives me a ball-park of my total calories, carbs, etc. It is a little annoying at first, but it's free and it is very helpful.
Best Wishes!
Jenna

scotchtape
Mon, Mar-06-06, 08:36
I'm pretty sure a good part of the loose skin thing has to do with age and genetics.

Nancy LC
Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:44
I think loose skin is probably beyond your control. It'll either snap back or it won't. Just give it time to respond before panicking. A good year after you're done losing weight, at least.

bankbaybe
Mon, Mar-06-06, 15:15
Thanks to everyone!