PDA

View Full Version : Soy Flour for Frying??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

My Turn
Thu, Mar-02-06, 08:04
Has anyone tried using soy flour for breading and frying? I bought some yesterday and was wondering if it would work, for say.... frying pork chops or chicken tenders.

If that won't work, any suggestions appreciated!

black57
Thu, Mar-02-06, 08:45
I use it for fried chicken. It is prestty good. Make sure that you season it well. But it is a lifesaver for my fried chicken fix. I have used it tfro fried zuchini also.

Enjoy,
Black57

My Turn
Thu, Mar-02-06, 08:55
Thanks! I'll try it tonight with maybe some cajun spices. I guess just dip it in egg first....

niudog
Thu, Mar-02-06, 11:49
My Turn... I mixed soy flour and parmasan cheese to coat my trout fillets fro frying last night - YUM.

My trout fillets were moist, so I did not dip them in egg.

cajuda
Thu, Mar-02-06, 14:58
If you deep fry using soy flour (like for fried chix) George Stella (Food Network) recommends finishing your meat in the oven as soy flour can burn easily.

black57
Thu, Mar-02-06, 15:02
Thanks! I'll try it tonight with maybe some cajun spices. I guess just dip it in egg first....

Yeah, use the egg coating. I use it if I want a thicker crust. When I want a lighter crust I don't use the egg. I have never had any problems with the soy flour burning, though. :yum:

jjsinglesp
Fri, Mar-03-06, 05:38
I never thought of using soy flower that way!!! Holy crap I'm havin chicken fried steak tonight---now if there was just a way to make country pepper gravy--JJ

My Turn
Fri, Mar-03-06, 10:07
jjsinglesp: Couldn't you use the thicken/thin not starch for the country gravy? I've used if for chicken gravy and it was pretty good.

Thanks for all the tips.. I ended up grilling the pork steak last night, which was yummy. I'll try frying with the soy flour sometime next week... Maybe some good whitefish!

Thanks again!

niudog
Fri, Mar-03-06, 11:50
Try to make gravy with jsut pan drippings and heavy cream, seasonings. See how it turns out. It wont be the same, but it might work.