PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Diabetes Symptoms

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bsheets
Mon, Feb-27-06, 02:28
I did a search on this site and haven't found a list of symptoms for pre-diabetes. Does anyone have one? I'm worried about a friend of mine and want to help her if I can.

e

kevinpa
Mon, Feb-27-06, 03:12
unfortunately the symptoms of diabeties are ususally masked until its too late. A fasting blood glucose check is the best way to tell.

bsheets
Mon, Feb-27-06, 03:29
I thought you could tell by things like shaking if you've gone too long without a meal ... but that's the only symptom I can remember!

Hmmm maybe I could get her to do a fasting glucose test thingy like you suggest.

e

Sandi D
Mon, Feb-27-06, 07:17
http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes.jsp

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/
here are 2 good sites
sandi

black57
Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:26
I thought you could tell by things like shaking if you've gone too long without a meal ... but that's the only symptom I can remember!

e

That was pretty much my only noticeable symptom for hypoglycemia. After I began low carbing, I read more about this condition and learned that insatiable hynger, mom and 2 siblings are diabetic,itchy skin and migraines were possible symptoms. I had these three symptoms although tests did not confirm hypoglycemia. After beginning my woe, my symptoms vanished :wave:

Keep that in mind if her tests come back negative.

babe
Mon, Feb-27-06, 12:48
if you have metabolic syndrome (at least 3 of the following symptoms per the .gov site)
-excess weight around the waist (waist measurement of more than 40 inches for men and more than 35 inches for women)
-high levels of triglycerides (150 mg/dL or higher)
-low levels of HDL, or "good," cholesterol (below 40 mg/dL for men and below 50 mg/dL for women
-high blood pressure (130/85 mm Hg or higher)
-high fasting blood glucose levels (110 mg/dL or higher

you probably are prediabetic.

bsheets
Mon, Feb-27-06, 20:55
Thanks everyone! I've forwarded that info onto her - hope she'll make some big changes, even if she doesn't follow this woe.

e

black57
Mon, Feb-27-06, 21:08
Please let us know what happens.

alisbabe
Tue, Feb-28-06, 00:36
My fiance is/was pre-diabetic (his fasting blood sugar is dropping - he's cut down on carbs, but not to the extent that I have)

He used to get nausea or started feeling faint if he didn't eat regularly.
I got that once, just before trying with woe. It was whilst driving not pleasant at all. I did the call I was driving to and then went straight to the store to buy food.

Other things I've noticed between the two of us (I'm insulin resistant), increased urination, sugar cravings, the inability to keep weight off (just looking at food seems to make you gain!), skin tags, darkening of the skin in places like your armpits and between the thighs (there is a technical term for this, but I don't recall it), adult acne and painful boils (I get mine in all sorts of uncomfortable places, but not thankfully my face).

[added ]Also, in women, symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome, such as boils, the skin darkening, excess facial hair, thinning head hair, infrequent periods, extremely heavy and painful periods, reduced fertility. It was being diagnosed with this, and the realisation that PCOS is linked to insulin resistance (probably caused by it), that ultimately led me to low carbing.

charmedpea
Thu, Mar-02-06, 04:53
My husbands signs were:

Loosing a ton of weight in a short period of time. Drinking a ton of water.. I mean a ton always thirty. Peeing all the time.. By the time he was diagnosed his sugar level was 900. yes that is not a misprint.. In all he should of been in coma.. And his complextion was gray looking.. Now takes 2 shots a day..

Charmed

And I did get him the keotsis strips before going to the dr.. And let me tell ya those strips turned almost black not deep purple.. I took the same test.. He thought the strips were bad.. Mine came out neg.. So we new something was wrong.. They ended up keep him in the hospital for a week. to try and find the right combo to keep him in normal range..

charmed

quietone
Thu, Mar-02-06, 07:32
"They" try to tell you there are no symptoms, but they're wrong. You have to pay attention to your body. The symptoms I had were:

tired, tired, tired all the time
skin tags
brain fog, forgetfullness, lack of concentration
my hair seemd to stop growing
cravings for starchy foods

rosieo
Thu, Mar-09-06, 16:21
My husband had no symptoms, right up until he had a heart attack. After the triple bypass someone in the hospital kitchen told him the doctor had ordered a diabetic diet for him. That's how we found out.

kevinpa
Thu, Mar-09-06, 16:37
I had no direct symptoms until my feet became numb and by that point it was too late and the nerve damage can not be reversed. I also had what I believed at the time to be lactose intolerance becase when I took the lactaid I could tolerate milk products. Later after I had my diabeties in check I was no longer intolerant of milk products of any kind.

NYNikki
Thu, Mar-09-06, 16:49
I had very think black floaters in my eyes. Nobody thought the floaters were a symptom of being Diabetic.

I went to the eye doctor and he said nothing was wrong. Then I went to another doctor and low & behold yes, I was a Diabetic. I had to insist on a sugar test from GP because he had no clue. To him the floaters were more a vision issue and not a Diabetic issue.

Now - I know when my sugar is climing higher then it should be - thats the time I begin to see the black floaters.

My GP wanted me to start on Diabetic medicine ASAP and I said what about trying other opitions first and he didn't think that was a good idea.

Well, here I am watching my diet (LC) with 5 days a week workouts and guess what? my sugar is under control.

It's sad when you know better then your doctor. He should of paid me for the lesson learned!

Ptrcmcc6
Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:35
Wow......I'm going to make an appointment with a doctor for a complete physical. I have a lot of the symptoms some of you post about. I have the extra weight in my mid-section, I am always very tired, I get shaky when I've waited too long to eat, and then, I crave starchy, carb ridden foods. To boot, my father was diabetic along with my older brother and older sister. My brother was insulin dependent (he passed away) whereas my sister has kept hers under control by low carb dieting. That was my main reason for limiting my carb intake as I see myself as becoming diabetic in the near future if I don't start taking control now.

Lessara
Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:52
Pre-Diabetes is typically Insulin resistance.
What happens is your cells doesn't take in Insulin till a higher amount. This overworks your pancres and it eventually stops producing insulin if not treated thus causing type 2 diabetes.
This was my case. What I didn't know until last week is that I was diagnosed Pre-diabetic and Insulin resistance 10 years ago and its on my records... no one told me. I figured I was due to my Mother having type 2. But I found out we have skin changes showing this insilin resistance, they are: Darkening of the skin behind your neck, under your belly, in the groin area, behind your knees sometimes. Also your elbows discolor to ash alittle or alot and its very rough (I call it elephant skin). You might also get ash coloring to the dry parts of your feet. (knee caps too).

Another thing that insulin resistance person might have are called hypoglacimic reactions. You eat a meal and 2 hours after you have a headache, dizzyness, or even nausia.

rosieo
Wed, Mar-15-06, 18:15
Also your elbows discolor to ash alittle or alot and its very rough (I call it elephant skin). You might also get ash coloring to the dry parts of your feet. (knee caps too).

Omygosh! My husband used to have really BAD elephant skin on his knees and elbows!!!! I used to wonder why, because it's not like he's praying all day or crawling around on his knees and elbows.

I just made him drop his drawers and I checked his knees and they're a lot smoother! His elbows are completely normal now!! He's been low carbing since June. I can't believe I've never read this before. This ought to be common knowledge! Stupid doctors, wouldn't you think they'd check something that simple! It's like that diagonal crease in the earlobe that signifies heart disease. I guess they don't want you to figure out what's wrong with you and cut them out of an office visit fee.

Thank you so much for posting that!

Lessara
Thu, Mar-16-06, 12:19
The reason I gave my advice for if your doctor says "Your sugar is fine" it may not be. My HMO won't even treat you unless you are full blow diabetic! My daughter has blood sugar around 100-120. Its high for a normal person - this is insilin resistance!
Low carbing is great for you don't need a doctors approval.

Sometimes I just don't get doctors! Why not say, "Hey we need to lower your blood sugar level.. lets try diets" Than give you insilin when you become diabetic.
What's the saying? Oh yes:
"ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"

arc
Thu, Mar-16-06, 14:14

A pound of cure is a lot more lucrative.

rosieo
Thu, Mar-16-06, 14:17
A pound of cure is a lot more lucrative.

LOL. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it.

black57
Thu, Mar-16-06, 18:11
The reason I gave my advice for if your doctor says "Your sugar is fine" it may not be. My HMO won't even treat you unless you are full blow diabetic! My daughter has blood sugar around 100-120. Its high for a normal person - this is insilin resistance!
Low carbing is great for you don't need a doctors approval.

Sometimes I just don't get doctors! Why not say, "Hey we need to lower your blood sugar level.. lets try diets" Than give you insilin when you become diabetic.

I diagnosed myself as being hypoglycemic for various reasons. I could tell when my insulin is spiking because of shakiness, insatiable hunger or nausea. I requested lab work to rule out hypoglycemia or diabetes and the tests were always negative. Interesting, when I began low carbing, my symptoms vanished. Also, I read that other symptoms may be migraines and itchy skin. These were two symptoms that I had but never related them to my hypoglycemia. They too are gone. I wonder if gray hair is a symptom because my gray hair seems to be in remission. :D

alisbabe
Thu, Mar-16-06, 19:34
I'd recommend you check out Dr bernstein's books if you do find you have (pre)diabetes. Hubby 2 be has been totally wowed. I think he might even try proper low carbing.