PDA

View Full Version : meme

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

memegram
Sat, Feb-25-06, 22:07
hello. i'm new to atkins and having a hard time. cant get through one day on it. i'm 60 years old. and need to lose 40 lbs.

.muse.
Sat, Feb-25-06, 23:06
welcome to the boards, meme. there's a whole lot of resources on here that may help you. maybe atkins isn't for you and you should try one of the other options out there.

.muse.

PlaneCrazy
Sun, Feb-26-06, 05:44
For some people, going right into induction is too much a shock on the body and mind. (eating is a great deal mental as well as physical) My family on my father's side all have the same body type and are highly insulin resistant. A few of them have started to try low-carbing with great success but it hasn't been easy.

If you're having a great deal of difficulty, and not being able to go one day sounds like it qualifies, I've found that one way to "ease" into lowering your carbs is to begin by cutting out a couple of the big culprits but not all of them. For me, I've discovered sugar and potatoes are huge no-no's. One bite of cake or pie or candy and I'm done for. One handful of potato chips or french fries makes me have an alergic reaction. (I used to eat french fries with just about every lunch and now I know why I felt so lousy)

If you can cut out a couple of the really bad trigger foods, and it might be bread for you, and stick with that for a few days then slowly reduce the amount of the other carbs from maybe bread two times a day to just once and then only every so often, you might find it easier to accomplish.

The potential downside of this approach (and Dr. Atkins implies this kind of approach when he takes about slowly reducing carbs for some people that have trouble) is that it makes you focus on the wrong things in your diet. Instead of focusing on what you're losing from your diet, I find it much more productive to focus on what I'm gaining, to focus on what's "in" my diet rather than what's "out". This slow weaning may be easier on the body then going from 500 gr. of carbs a day to 25, but it can be harder on the willpower if you feel like you're being deprived.

I find from experience that when undergoing induction, it's also helpful to indulge yourself a bit in those, perhaps more expensive, delights that you really like that are allowed, like good fish or quality steaks or sour cream on your cooked veggies, that way you're focusing on the positive additions to your diet rather than pining for the "loss" your sustained. (it's not really a loss as you'll discover if you're ever successful and then go back and try to eat some of it again, it often makes you sick to try)

Good luck. I found when I lost my weight that this forum was so very helpful.

Plane