PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Fiber?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mammac-5
Sat, Feb-25-06, 19:16
Is it possible to have too much of a good thing where fiber is concerned?

Duparc
Sat, Feb-25-06, 19:29
From a personal viewpoint only, I do not knowningly take fibre and have no problem, whatsoever, with bowel functioning. Indeed, the less I take the quicker and cleaner the job and the more regular it is and with much less wind too. I did read somewhere, some time ago, that fibre was too rough for both stomach and bowels and I would subscribed to this view. There is a transitional period which needs to be gone through during the change from fibre to no fibre while the bowel bacteria reforms itself during which time the process can be a little uncomfortable (but survivable)!

(PS: fiber or fibre? Both spellings seem to be in use).

Rachel1
Sat, Feb-25-06, 22:09
(PS: fiber or fibre? Both spellings seem to be in use).

"Fiber" - American. "Fibre" - UK and Canada - probably Australia and NZ as well.

Rachel
spell-o-holic

Dodger
Sat, Feb-25-06, 22:23
You would starve to death if all you consummed was fiber (or fibre). I don't try to take in fiber, I just get what comes with my food items. I cut off the fibrous parts of my vegetables.

bsheets
Sun, Feb-26-06, 03:58
"Fiber" - American. "Fibre" - UK and Canada - probably Australia and NZ as well.

Rachel
spell-o-holic
Yes! Fibre here too!

I read a study some time ago which showed people with softer stools have higher rates of bowel cancer (contrary to popular belief). And who else has such soft stools but people that take additional fibre supps. So, as bowel cancer runs in my dad's family, I don't have the fibre supps I used to have and just live a bit more uncomfortably.

The study was on fibre from bran by the way, it did not mention fibre from veggies.

e

manaburrn
Sun, Feb-26-06, 07:38
http://www.applesforhealth.com/colcan1.htmlIn a 16-year study of 88,757 nurses... one odd finding of the study was a 34 percent increase in the risk of cancer in women who ate the most vegetable fiber, a finding that has not been seen before. Fuchs says, however, "I am dubious that this is a real effect."Yeah, let's just completely dismiss an obvious correlation like 34% :lol: