PDA

View Full Version : On the road again...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

deebeckers
Thu, Feb-23-06, 15:58
You know that Willie Nelson song?

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been (thin)
Seein' things that I may never see again, (me in a 2 piece bathing suit)
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

Man...I really hate myself right now, because last year January I weighed 155 lbs. and now I'm up to 184. :help: I have been on and off atkins for about 3 years now, and have stopped due to lack of discipline, and being able to swallow my food. I know that eating low carb works, and I really want to get back on it.

There is a problem though. My last attempts to get back on a low carb diet totally failed because I couldn't bear to swallow my food (it's all in my head but I just can't seem to get past it) it would get to the point of me gagging and throwing up *gross* sorry if that's too much info.

The other problem is my husband really doesn't want me to get back on a low carb diet because I've failed at it lately :(

I need to get this weight off, and I'll be honest I need some encouragement, and it would really help to hear from others who have failed, but yet have gotten back on the wagon and had success...maybe from those of you who had similiar problems with being able to eat and hold down their food....

I really hope that I can do this again, and get the weight back off....I know I can, I am just a little doubtful at the moment.

Silver155
Thu, Feb-23-06, 19:38
I've tried and 'failed' so many times I can't even count. The worst was when I lost about 30 pounds, starting losing my hair, and just completely went off the diet. The weight and more came back so fast I couldn't believe it.

I don't know where the quote came from but I like it "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

I think it's great that you're trying again! :cheer:

This is working for me this time because I started slow. I knew the direction I wanted to head in, so each day I would try to make better decisions. Less oil while cooking, non fat milk, carb counting bread, more natural grains instead of processed. Doing this I lost about a pound a month. Not any great leap, but it sure beat going in the opposite direction.

Then when I fully committed to my diet, it wasn't such a shock.

If Aitkins doesn't seem to be working for you right now, then try something else. And if the next one doesn't fit, try something else again. I've been having success with the GI Diet (books by Rick Gallup), because it fits my lifestyle. It's not nearly as restrictive as Aitkins, I'm never hungry and don't feel deprived (except for chocolate!). It's a new way of life for me.

If you're really having a hard time swallowing any food, I would recommend talking with your doctor about it.

Talk with your husband about this, and try to find something that he can support you with. Maybe it's even just a quick walk after dinner?

We'll be here for you!

deebeckers
Fri, Feb-24-06, 03:14
Thanks Andrea :) (that's my sisters name too!)

Just to clear one thing up...the only time I have a hard time swallowing is when I eat certain foods relating to low carb diets...and it only happens when I'm low carbing...but I think it's all in my head because when I'm not low carbing I can eat those foods just fine. stupid huh?

saffron28
Fri, Feb-24-06, 05:34
I am by no means an expert, but perhaps if you do a clean induction and see the weight loss it would be easier to wrap your mind around the fact that you can eat the foods that we have all been told will be the death of us? I had such a hard time overcoming all the low fat, low calorie training when I started this WOL that it was really hard for me, but with time seeing the weight come off without being hungry and reading everything I could find about Low carb the good and the bad, I finally got over being afraid of food. Just a thought. Good luck with your weight loss endevors.