PDA

View Full Version : Beverages

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lauralea35
Wed, Feb-22-06, 12:34
I have been low-carbing in the past, and am starting back up on my diet. I have been reading through the board and found a somewhat helpful thread on coffee creamer. I have recently started drinking Brevee from Starbucks...Im not sure how bad this is for me? They are made with half and half, a lot of half and half. For those of you unfamiliar basically it is a shot of Esspresso in mostly half and half and I also add sugar free hazlenut syrup. Is this going to be my downfall? There are zero carbs in the half and half, but I still feel like there is something in it that is bad? If anyone has experience with this please let me know!

CricketM
Wed, Feb-22-06, 14:02
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but 1/2 & 1/2 does NOT have zero carbs! Check out the Starbucks website, but I believe a small breve latte has about 20 carbs. Sorry ... I had to give them up too!

Saccharine
Wed, Feb-22-06, 15:55
Half n half from my store has a carb for every 1-2 tbsp. yummy stuff though!

Dichela
Wed, Feb-22-06, 18:41
I used to drink Breves from Starbucks all the time and they slowed me down a bit so I decided to go for a cup of decaf, some heavy whipping cream and splenda.

Check out the count of carbs for 1/2 & 1/2 in fitday.com. I don't rememeber it being that high.

Kristine
Wed, Feb-22-06, 18:51
Half and half isn't too bad... 10 g carb per cup, just over 1 per fluid oz.

I use half and half in my coffee because I got sick of paying twice the price for 18%. :mad:

JandLsMom
Wed, Feb-22-06, 22:20
18%???? what is that?

Donna I.
Wed, Feb-22-06, 23:14
%18 is also called light cream or table cream. In Canada it is also sold as coffee cream. We started using it a few years ago because it is what Tim Hortons puts in their coffee and it really is better than half and half and not as heavy as whipping cream.

CricketM
Thu, Feb-23-06, 10:11
OK, I just checked Starbuck's website.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverage_detail.asp

It allows you to chose the type of drink (latte) and what type of milk you add, along with the size. A tall latte breve has:

Calories 420
Fat Calories 330
Total Fat (g) 36
Saturated Fat (g) 23
Cholesterol (mg) 115
Sodium (mg) 130
Total Carbohydrates (g) 15
Fiber (g) 0
Sugars (g) 1
Protein (g) 10
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 35%
Iron 0%

A grande latte breve has 20 carbs and 550 calories. These counts do not include sweetener, though if you use the sugar-free, it's zero anyway - assuming that you do not 'react' to artificial sugars (lab testing shows that virtually ALL artificial sweetners have some sort of insulin impact on your body ... there is only one that does not, I forgot which one .....)

Even a few lattes a week stall me big time - I learned the hard way last year. Sorry again.

Kimberwolf
Thu, Feb-23-06, 11:39
I just recently discovered breves myself, after seeing them praised elsewhere on this board. I had one, asking the barista to substitute heavy whipping cream for the half-and-half. (Trims the carbs by a little bit ... and makes it unbelievably rich and wonderful.) It was, as you might expect, sheer heaven.

THEN I looked up just how much cream is added to a breve (in carbs and in calories) - and swore off. When I'm further along into OWL and looking for a very special, very once-in-a-blue-moon kinda treat, I'll have another one. :D I know most folks here don't count calories as a rule, but I like to keep around 1500 myself, just loosely tallying when I think I'm probably getting too many. I'm a firm believer in the notion that I won't burn fat when I'm getting plenty of energy through my food. Hee. YMMV, of course.

Instead, here's what I do on the days when I get coffee (which is usually 1-2 days a week). I order a decaf red-eye -- a shot of decaf expresso in a regular cup of decaf coffee. They're called different things at different places. My favorite coffee shop calls them "red-eye" and their decaf is acidic enough to go perfectly with the expresso. Caribou Coffee calls them a "depth charge," but the one time I had one there, I didn't like it. Go figure.

Then I locate two little bottles that I take with me in my bag ... one contains a couple tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and one contains liquid sucralose (from Sweetzfree (http://www.sweetzfree.com/) ). And voila! Instant expresso-based yumminess! :yum:

It's easy to ask for a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream to be added from their stock, too; I just hate to explain. They DO have the stuff, but only usually put it in their whipped cream canisters. And instead of liquid sucralose, you can use Splenda packets. I'm still keeping at or under 20 carbs at the moment, so the liquid variety gives me a little more room for an extra carb of veggies! Sugar free DaVinci's syrup is also a great, no-carb, splenda-based sweetner. (When I get more little bottles, I might carry some sf vanilla with me, too!)

Anyhow, sorry for the bad news of Breves. But at least there *are* other possibilities. :heart: