PDA

View Full Version : Stall question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NYNikki
Tue, Feb-21-06, 10:28
Hope this makes sence as a friend of mine is asking .....

Will you move out of a stall if you wait long enough or do you have to make changes in order to move the stall?

And how long does a 'normal' stall last?

Thanks

cajuda
Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:23
Boy, that's a tough question. It depends where you are. If you've just started with the Atkins program you will probably go through the dreaded 3rd-4th week stall which everyone experiences. It's your body's way of adjusting to your weight loss. YMMV when it comes to how long a stall lasts and some people exercise more, drink more water, maybe go into OWL. Just basically tweak their plan in order to start losing again. You'll have to try diff. things to start losing again. Do definitely measure yourself. You may be losing inches but not lbs. They don't happen at the same time. Good luck to you (and your friend). HTH.

raven_1051
Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:33
Somethings that help me are:

Eating right and recording everything in a journal. Sometimes you don't realize it if your are eating more unless you write it down.

Always take a vitamin

Always drink plenty of water

exercise regularly

try not eating foods with artificial sweetner in them

avoid caffiene

try not to eat things like hot dogs and lunchmeats.

Always read labels. Don't assume that you know the carb content of a food. Brands vary as to what types of aditives are put in them. One brand may have more carbs than another.

Limit eating cheese and nuts.

Always measure your serving sizes, people sometimes don't realize how much they are eating.

Eat breakfast

After you have been journaling for a few days look and see if you are eating enough fat, you might not be.

bigpeach
Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:59
Double the exercise. Or, if the case involves zero exercise, walk briskly for a half hour per day. How to fit it into the schedule? Wake up, walk briskly for 15 minutes, turn around, walk home.

Once the weight is coming off again, scale the exercise back a bit.

Luzyanna
Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:37
I just got off a 3 month stall so for me, I had to change some things to get through it. I tried waiting it out and ended up gaining 2 pounds instead. What I did was drop my calories, do more exercise and give up all foods that contained yeast (like cheese, nuts, vinegary condiments, mushrooms, sour cream, etc.) I'm losing SLOWLY but at least I'm losing.

manaburrn
Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:57
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797) I say stalls are evil! Let's change something!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

RedJodie
Wed, Feb-22-06, 05:34
Double the exercise. Or, if the case involves zero exercise, walk briskly for a half hour per day. How to fit it into the schedule? Wake up, walk briskly for 15 minutes, turn around, walk home.

Once the weight is coming off again, scale the exercise back a bit.

Personally, I wouldn't scale back on the exercise, it'll help with continuing weight loss and help tone the body.

NYNikki
Thu, Feb-23-06, 12:52
Thanks EVERYONE,

My friend has been stalled for 4 weeks but just before that she was sick for 3 weeks with the flu. I'm thinking maybe the flu set her back and it will take time to get moving again. She is now back at full speed and maybe her weight will start to go down again.

Tahnks again.