PDA

View Full Version : Cramps after eating bad carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ojoj
Tue, Feb-21-06, 10:18
I've been low carbing for 3 years now, I've been at my target for nearly 2. All is well, I love my way of eating. Every now and again (well twice) I have had a bit of a cheat. once at christmas, I had a chocolate biscuit (cookie) and couldnt stop so ate the packet and then last weekend I did the same. Proving to me I certainly have addiction problems. No worries, I get straight back on track the next day.

Anyway thats not the point of my post. About an hour or so after I've done this, I seem to get the most horrendous cramps in my legs, to the point where I can hardly walk, yelp in pain and am frightened to move. Its possible it could be coincidense but I dont think so, anybody know why this would happen??? Does it happen to anyone else??

I didnt really know where to post this

quietone
Tue, Feb-21-06, 11:57
It sounds like you've disturbed your electrolyte balance, but I've never heard of it happening so fast.

Pandora23
Tue, Feb-21-06, 12:11
Correlation is not always causation, lol! But it could be who knows. I usually get the poopies and retain water like crazy... however, when I cheat I eat ten gazillion servings of whatever which would make anyone retain water and get the poopies, LOL!. It has more to do with the quantity than the fact it was carby food in my case.

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-21-06, 12:19
You might try to isolate what exactly is causing it. Is it sugar, is it potatoes, is it wheat? This could be your body telling you it has a food intolerance and if you continue to eat that food, you could be in for a world of hurt later on. Often times after abstaining from a food, eating it again the intolerance symptoms will jump dramatically in severity.

ojoj
Wed, Feb-22-06, 02:32
Hmm, the electrolyte balance might be something to do with it, hadnt thought of that, maybe food intolerance?? Well I'm not gonna try to find out what, I just wont eat biscuits, cookies, chocolate again - I didnt even enjoy them, I just had one and then turned back into what I used to be and I couldnt stop til they'd all gone, quite frightening, but how interesting that this addiction is still within me.

Jo

Nancy LC
Wed, Feb-22-06, 09:18
If you do have a food intolerance you probably need to know. For instance wheat (or gluten) is in everything! Soy sauce, sauces, dressing, and when you dine out you risk getting glutened a lot. While you might think oh, its just a little crampiness and diarrhea, its actually a big immune response going on that can attack you anywhere in your body. There are 200 different diseases associated with gluten intolerance.

Unfortunately I ignored mine all my life (didn't know about it actually) but I've been battling multiple autoimmune diseases and now it looks like I might have Lupus. All because, most likely, I was causing my body to be in immune-overdrive with repeated exposures to foods my body thinks are evil proteins.

Anyway... my advice is never take GI symptoms lightly. Get to the bottom of the food intolerances and treat them with grave respect.