PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Tennessee with Hashimoto's Disease

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karen42
Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:10
Hi All...... Im and a standstill in my life and I'll soon turn 42. I'm still single and I stepped on the scales today and weighed in at a whopping 219 pounds.... I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis disease two months ago and weighed in at 207, so I have gained 12 pounds in such a short time. I really cant explain the weight gain because my doctor assured me that by using a thyroid hormone replacement medication that I would soon start to lose weight...Man Oh Man, something sure has went wrong, so I decided that Im going to try the low carb way! I'm here for encouragement, advice and I'm looking for someone to challenge and give me the boost that I need...... :help:

SidC
Sun, Feb-12-06, 22:40
Hi Karen,
My sympathies! But you're in the right place and you're doing the right thing. Be sure to check out the forum here on Thyroid disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76). Lots of good info and many people who have gone through this.

On the weight gain, it takes a number of months for the medication to actually start taking effect - for some, it can be up to a year before all of the symptoms are resolved (and that assumes that you're on the right dose and type of medication! You'll see lots more about that subject on the forum.) Yes, I choked, too, when my doc told me it might take a year to get back on track. But you've at least now been diagnosed and are on the path to recovery.

I started Atkins and synthroid at the same time after I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid in early 2003. Metabolic resistance is real and I only lost 2 lbs the first two weeks I was on strict induction. But stick with it! The medication will start to kick in and this new way of eating (WOE) will help you tremendously. You'll be off to a slower start than many, but It Will Pay Off. You're going to have to be patient and determined. But you can do it.:wave:

loserinnc
Mon, Feb-13-06, 06:50
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Naledi
Mon, Feb-13-06, 07:11
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. This is the right place to get all the information and help and support you need to do it right. I would have been lost if I hadn’t found this site. I have got lot of encouragement and support I needed time to time. Start a journal and record your daily routine in regard to Low Carbing. It will help you to be on track with all the support from friends you will find here. Wishing you good Luck and great success!!

As regard to your plan you need to choose which one of the low carb diets suits you. Just go to the green bar on this page (On the top-right) and you will find a tab for plans and you can find the details of many plans in there. Just choose the one which is good and manageable for you. If you need any more help please feel free to pop in my journal.

Wishing you good Luck and great success!!