PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new from Oregon

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

koregon
Sun, Feb-12-06, 11:39
I stumbled upon this site and find myself back reading and looking for info, so I signed up and here I am.

My husband and I did atkins a year or two ago, did really well for over a year, went on a cruise and came home and disembarked into the carb feild, darn it, we gained all but 10 pounds each back...we had both lost close to 50 pounds before that cruise and did really well. Well back then there were more products to make the ease of eatting this way...a lot easier, bread products, pita's etc...more bars and so forth, now we have to hunt for them...and there are no more breads like we bought, they quit making them...so January 2006 we started again, I have lost over ten pounds and my husband 13 since Jan 2. We do realize we need to be aware "always" of what we are eatting and not fall into that darn carb field again.

I am looking for the supplies to create some of the breads and I am somewhat confused on names some are called vs what I see in the store.

Like flax...is there something besides flax seed?? I found flax seed, but not flax...so I am here to ask, also will look into the what gluten flour and soy protein flour and almond flour...is it the same as ground almonds I see in some receipes??

as you can see I am full of questions.

thought I would introduce myself...

Kaye is my name...but there was already a Kaye registered...so koregon is my screename also my biz name...I am a glass bead artist.

as far as the weight stats...I filled them out, but I really have never gone by weight for myself, its more on clothing size and how I feel and look. I have always weighed more for my size than say my sister who is the same height...even at my thinnest in high school, I weighed to much by all the charts.

so I just want to wear that size 14 jeans and capri pants in my closet!...happy there, after all I am 45...I have no illusions of being a thin person, never have been, thin thin that is.

TarHeel
Sun, Feb-12-06, 12:02
Welcome, Kaye. (I guess it's people like you who account for the fact that people keep adding an "e" to my name.)

Can you not get Arnold's or Pepperidge Farm low carb breads where you are? I don't like them quite as much as the Nature's Own we have here, but when I'm in New England I buy them. Some companies have changed the name and advertising on the package to delete the "low carb" reference, but in fact the Nature's Own "Wheat and Fiber" is identical to what they used to sell as Low Carb.

A number of folks have been making muffins with flaxseed MEAL. I'm not much of a baker, but I would assume you could make bread with that as well.

Anyhow, good luck with getting into low carbing again. It's nice that your husband is doing it as well.

Kay

TyroneBill
Sun, Feb-12-06, 12:19
Hi Kaye and welcome. Flax comes in two forms either flax seed or milled flax(ground flax seed) there is light and dark flax seed also. I buy the dark flax meal (same as milled flax). Some folks buy the seed form and grind their own in a coffee mill or food processer. The almond flour question I'm not sure about but I do think that ground almonds are a coarse grind whereas almond flour is fine ground, but really not sure. I'm sure someone after me will know the right answer. Again welcome to a fine board and good luck in weightloss efforts.

koregon
Sun, Feb-12-06, 14:05
Hi Bill and Kay
thanks so much for the welcome.

I just came back from the health food part of our grocery store in Newport and the gal was stocking so I picked her brain and asked questions...found the flax meal, it was in the fridge section, and like Bill said she told me I can grind the flax seed, which I can buy in bulk, the dark is a lot cheaper so I went with that, and I did find a couple other ingredients, soy flour and wheat gluten baking flour...the almond flour was expensive in a pre pacakged package so I didn't get that one until I look into receipes more to see what I need more of.

the flax I have a recepe someone gave me, so I wanted to give it a try, she said it was really good and she enjoys it

Melinda's Flaxy Flatbread/ Pizza crust

4 oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp flax
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp basil
1/4 cup parmesan
3 eggs, slightly abused..err, beaten
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 375. Cream together cream cheese and eggs, mix dry ingredients together and add, mixing well. Spray a nonstick pie pan and add batter. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until edges are brown and crisp and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

This will puff up some while baking and then deflate alittle when you pull it out. For Pizza- Bump your oven up to 400. I flipped my crust out onto a sprayed baking sheet so I could have a flat, non-skid surface to dress up. Add your sauce (I used 1/4 cup), cheese and toppings and bake again until it's all melted and yummy. Pizza Crust Numbers for 2 servings.

cnmLisa
Sun, Feb-12-06, 19:49
Kaye!!! WELCOME!!!

From the Oregon coast!!! What part?? Newport?? (probably since you were in the health food store there) Please say Florence!! (I can only hope) I too live on the Oregon coast. I'm about your age (46) too!

1/2 way between Newport and Florence--Ychahtz (sp):)

Good Luck!! You'll be in those 14s before you know it!!

Lisa

koregon
Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:48
Hi!
I live in Toledo, 6 miles in on Hiway 20, shopped in Fred Meyer's health food/bulk section in Newport.

thanks for the welcome~
Kaye!!! WELCOME!!!

From the Oregon coast!!! What part?? Newport?? (probably since you were in the health food store there) Please say Florence!! (I can only hope) I too live on the Oregon coast. I'm about your age (46) too!

1/2 way between Newport and Florence--Ychahtz (sp):)

Good Luck!! You'll be in those 14s before you know it!!

Lisa