PDA

View Full Version : 2nd day of induction.....again!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karvon
Fri, Feb-10-06, 08:15
hello everyone! I decided to do the induction again, as I only lost 6 # from it the first time. I felt like maybe I missed a few important details. Can I use a tbls. of ketchup / mustard during this time?

boree
Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:24
Hi Karvon, I'm pretty sure that ketchup and mustard are off limits for the most part during induction because of the carb content and sugar in ketchup. You may want to use some mustard powder, I am not sure if they make a carb free ketchup as I myself am not a ketchup eater, sorry I am no more help but I'm sure someone more experienced will come along and give you more options. Good day and best of luck on your journey. :)
Connie

boodeb
Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:14
Hi Karvon, Heinz makes a one carb catsup and it is great..i`m not sure about mustard..Lucky me i don`t like it

pish
Fri, Feb-10-06, 13:05
My book says mustard is fine but ketchup is not.

SurfRider
Fri, Feb-10-06, 15:31
Yeah, I use mustard too. I am actually going to start my THIRD round of induction on Monday. I just ofund out my coffee drink had 18 carbs instead of the 3 carbs posted.. UGH. So I will start all over again on Monday.

J

bkloots
Fri, Feb-10-06, 16:05
A tasty condiment: mayonnaise with curry powder. Curry powder does have carbs (1.5 per tablespoon) but only a trace for the amount you'd use.

sunnysidup
Fri, Feb-10-06, 19:41
Heintz 1 carb Ketchup has 1 carb per Tb. I ate it most of my induction days, on my burgers and lost 8 lbs. in my first 2 weeks.

jjb2000
Sat, Feb-11-06, 10:49
I use mustard (avoid the sweet ones) often with no problems. Not a big fan of ketchup but I do keep the Heinz '1' just in case the desire arises. Just check the ingredients in what you use for sugars (corn syrup etc)--like regular ketchup and sweet mustards are full of it.

IMHO it's very important to learn to read labels--alot more stuff has sugar in it than you might think. But everyone is different on how fast they lose weight as well as what stalls their weight loss. Six pounds in two weeks isn't bad. That said, I'm sticking to 20-25 carbs till I lose the bulk of my excess weight--not necessarily induction rules, I'm just counting carbs. I believe the main purpose of induction is to adjust to the new way of eating without having to actually count carbs and to stop cravings.

nikkil
Sun, Feb-12-06, 00:02
Mustard is fine but the regular ketchup has 4g carbs per tablespoon so it's better to go with the Heinz 1-carb. Tastes just like regular ketchup (unlike a lot of the other lc ketchups - blech!) but it's on the sweet side. I like to "cut" my ketchup, mustard and sf bbq sauce with mayo to stretch the flavour and add some fat :)

Congrats on the 6 pounds during your first Induction and good luck with your second! If you want some advice/tips on how to do it (if you think you may have done something wrong the first time), it's a good idea to post some of your menus and what you've been doing so we can see where you might be having issues :)

karvon
Sun, Feb-12-06, 08:32
this induction is soooooooo difficult for me. I am already burned out on salad for lunch. If I eat any more chicken I will scream. I just cut it into chunks & pan fry it. is there any recipes that I can use during this induction? any help would be wonderful. I would also like to submit a days menus to you to see what you think about it.
breakfast -scrambled egg w/ a small amount of cheese, 1 decaf coffee w/cream & splenda
lunch - 1 chicken cesar salad (2 cups lettuce) , diet iced tea
dinner- chicken fried into pieces, brocolli , water x4)
no snack last night. thanks

ladygolden
Sun, Feb-12-06, 16:21
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/index.html

nikkil
Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:10
I can see why you'd get tired of chicken - can only eat it panfried so many times :) Try different seasonings and some of the sauce recipes here on the forum. Why not try other meats? Ground beef is super-versatile and cheap AND you can go ahead and buy the regular ground instead of the extra lean you might have bought before :thup: Pork and fish..... broaden your menu and you won't get bored :)

My favourite salad for lunch is a big bowl of mixed greens (prewashed mix) and add things like pieces of cheese (try different kinds) and some leftover meat and dressing. For my lunch tomorrow I used jalapeno havarti cheese, sliced green olives and roast beef with salsa-ranch dressing :yum: Again, shake up your salad toppings/greens and you won't get bored. Try sliced boiled eggs, olives, dill pickles, capers, sliced mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, hot peppers, celery, cucumbers, cheddar cheese, bacon bits (real), mozzarella, feta, flavoured cheeses, later you can have almond slices, sunflower or pumpkin seeds.... Then the dressings! Experiment with different flavours, sometimes I combine them or adjust them to my liking - I also dilute the dressing sometimes with vinegar, mayo, olive oil, cream or hot sauce (depending on what I think will go best). Lastly, tuna or egg salad and then use cucumber slices or celery sticks to scoop it up!

Something that I do during the work week: when I'm cooking dinner I make extra (since I'm doing the work and making the mess anyway) and then when I'm dishing it up I put a tupperware container out, too. I fill it with dinner stuff and pop it in the fridge and the next morning I just have to throw it in my insulated lunch bag and I'm done!

HTH (hope that helped) :)

WyoDiva
Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:36
There's LOADS of great recipes on here...and I'd also suggest you buy yourself a LC cookbook or two (I own 12 now!!) I recommend Dana Carpender's and George Stella's books. Not all of their recipes are to my taste, but enough of them are that I have lots of new favorite dishes now.

I know it can be kind of spendy to do this, but don't be afraid to try new recipes, even if you end up occasionally scraping the results into the garbage!

My favorite way to make chicken right now is to pound chicken breasts a little with a meat hammer, then dip each one in first, a beaten egg, and second, parmesan cheese mixed with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Fry in about 1/4-1/2 inch of oil about 6 minutes on each side. DELICIOUS - takes care of my fried chicken urge every time.

My second favorite chicken recipe is to saute chicken breasts (cut in 2" strips) in oil that I have heated garlic and curry powders in. Makes the house smell great too! :)