PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks?????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HoneyBunch
Wed, Feb-08-06, 03:56
My sister inlaw wants to have coffee with me at starbucks...I was wondering if any of you could give advice on what type of coffee to order or what to ask for...Also, should I bring my own splenda or do they have that as an option?
It would be nice if you'll could list what you usually order.

;) Thankyou Much

Lesle
Wed, Feb-08-06, 05:30
I'm not a coffee drinker, but check out www.starbucks.com. They have nutrition information there for all their beverages, and foods as well, to help you make an informed decision.
Have a nice visit with your sister-in-law, knowing that you made a good choice of what to have.

HalfPass
Wed, Feb-08-06, 05:36
I have an americano, which is just expresso and hot water. I usually had some half and half. You could easily have some splenda if you want something sweet. I am not sure if they stock it, for some reason I think they have equal.
You could also have a breve(sp) which is esentially a latte made with half and half instead of milk. Flavor it with some sugar free syrup and you will have a fairly low carb and very tasty coffee house drink :-)

sunnysidup
Wed, Feb-08-06, 06:02
Yes, they have Splenda. I usually get a decaf coffee with a shot of sugar free flavor (whatever sounds good that day)

zorra_1
Wed, Feb-08-06, 08:05
Also, should I bring my own splenda or do they have that as an option?
You may want to just in case they don't or have run out. The ones around me do carry it and they even offer stevia.

Here's a link to a thread started about several options...
What to get at Starbucks (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=272168)

emily30
Wed, Feb-08-06, 08:15
Hi there,

I thought I would tell you what I discovered today, not at Starbucks, but Tim Hortons. I ordered my coffee black and had them put the double cream in a separate cup to see how much cream was actually going into my coffee and was shocked to find it was a little over 4.5 tablespoons. I don't know if you add your own cream in your coffee at Starbuck, but I thought I'd share this little discovery from a place that puts the cream in for you.

sennypoo
Wed, Feb-08-06, 09:21
I had the same question a couple of weeks ago, I just went to starbucks, I always order a sugar free vanilla breve(half n half) latte with 2 shots of expresso. I drink it every morning, I have NO problems!! Good luck!!!

Tyger
Wed, Feb-08-06, 16:13
fat free, sugar free vanilla latte or cappuchino! mmm..

HoneyBunch
Wed, Feb-08-06, 17:31
:wave:
Thankyou all soo much for your inputs ;) Now I have a variety of options to chose from :thup:

Dodger
Wed, Feb-08-06, 21:06
Doesn't anyone drink just coffee. Seems like most Starbucks drinks are more milkshake than coffee.

HalfPass
Thu, Feb-09-06, 03:54
I go to a coffee shop almost every morning for my daily fix. As I said above, I get an Americano with a spash of half and half(sometimes black). As I stand in line there I see many overweight people coming in on a daily basis (more than once a day for some) to get there LARGE blended drinks with milk, sugary flavored syrups and whipped topping. I don't think these people have any concept of the fact they are gulping down probably 500 calories and god knows how many carbs in their morning cup of "coffee". I think that the surge in the number of these "coffee" houses has really contributed to the obsesity epidemic in this country. You don't even have to get out of your car to get one of these frothy concoctions.
Personally, I am a bit of a coffee snob. I like the taste of coffee and don't want all that sweet stuff disguising the taste of the brew.

Tyger
Thu, Feb-09-06, 12:48
halfpass, i concur! it is so sad... so many of us are (or used to be) blindly consuming outrageous calories, thinking we're just having a coffee for goodness sake, how bad could it be..?
KNOWLEDGE is POWER!
i don't mind a flavor now and then, but i often crave a regular coffee.
BTW, my local dunkin donuts is now offering a "LATTE LITE", made with skim milk and splenda! YEAH!

Tyger
Thu, Feb-09-06, 12:50
honeybunch, i always carry a few splenda pkts in my purse, because i am a "water snob" ! i cannot drink tap water (personal preference) and in a restaurant i can order unsweetened iced tea if they don't offer bottled h20. just a tip...

scthgharpy
Thu, Feb-09-06, 13:22
Oh snap, doger! Im all about the BIG COFFEE!!

And I refuse to order it Venti. Occassionally Ill get a snootie cashier who doesnt understand my "SIZE LARGE" and calls out "venti" to the person getting it. hey, whatever makes you feel superior, pal.

coopski1
Thu, Feb-09-06, 16:55
Starbucks does in fact have Splenda. Plus...they have ground cinnamon in a shaker bottle. Cinnamon is a natural blood sugar lowering substance! It's about one carb gram per teaspoon. So worth it to have the taste treat and without having to add carby-milk.

SurfRider
Thu, Feb-09-06, 17:05
I tried to look at the starbucks website but it does not tell what the carb count is for a SF vanilla late Breve or low fat? Anyone know? I had one a couple times and it was AWESOME. That could be my treat!!!!!!

J

thin2be
Thu, Feb-09-06, 17:08
Coffee junkie here. I used to make regular coffee at home and use the International Delights flavored creamer (pre-low carb), and eventually worked my way down to the low carb version (tastes horrible). Now I buy whole bean flavored coffee, as I got me a fancy coffee maker with a grinder inside. I use Splenda and half and half. I found a great coffee shop down the road, and pick up a large flavor of the day and put my own splenda and half and half in. I must admit, with the recent problems I'm having losing weight, maybe the caffeine isn't good for me. But give up coffee????? Such a horrid thought!

engineergirl
Fri, Feb-10-06, 07:21
i do exactly the same thing as stated above! i've been drinking americanos for about 5 years (2-3 per day), that's all i drink. i still use 1/2 & 1/2, but i subst. spenda for the copious amounts of demerarra sugar i would also add, plus i've been adding a shake of cinnamon (i've been experimenting with my machine at home & LOVE a sprinkle of good quality cinnamon on my grounds before i make my shots).

you can also ask them for whipping cream to add, which they just keep behind the bar.

m.

nikkil
Fri, Feb-10-06, 08:42
One thing - I'd ask them if there's sugar in the cinnamon. I sprinkled some on my coffee one time and it sure tasted sweet.

If you order a breve, ask for at least 1/2 water-1/2 breve to reduce the carbs (and cals if you're counting). Doesn't take away from the taste much either. Iced is great in the summer.

I usually get coffee of the day and add sf vanilla syrup and ask them for the container of unwhipped whipping cream. They just hand the carton to me and I pour in what I want and hand it back :)

Pre-LC I used to drink a mocha frap DAILY *yikes!*

hth,

MyJourney
Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:29
I tried to look at the starbucks website but it does not tell what the carb count is for a SF vanilla late Breve or low fat? Anyone know? I had one a couple times and it was AWESOME. That could be my treat!!!!!!

J

Looks like its 15g carbs for a small (Tall) breve latte
18g for a small nonfat latte
16g for a small whole milk latte
21g (1 gram fiber for 20 net carbs) for a small soy milk latte

The nonfat latte has 120 calories
the whole milk latte has 200 calories
the breve latte has 420 calories
the soy latte has 160 calories

Personally I wouldnt get a latte there and if I really wanted one I would make it myself at home with CC milk for a whopping 3g of carbs but assuming I was out and was going to get one anyway I would probably go with the whole milk or possibly even the nonfat and take the extra carbs compared to a few hundred extra calories.

MyJourney
Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:43
The best options based on their nutritional information (all small and breve) are

Coffee of the week - 1g carbs
Decaf Coffee of the week - 1g carbs
Cafe Americano - 2g carbs
Iced Cafe Americano - 2g carbs
Cafe misto - 8g carbs
Cappuccino - 9g carbs
Cafe Latte - 15g carbs
Steamed Milk - 15g carbs
Iced Shaken Coffee - 15g carbs
Tazo Black Iced Tea - 16g carbs
Tazo Green Iced Tea - 16g carbs
Tazo Passion Iced Tea - 16g carbs

Those are all the drinks with under 20g carbs. Keep in mind these are for the small sizes and breve when there is supposed to be milk in there.

I dont know if they serve plain hot tea at starbucks since I dont really go there but that or the plain coffee seems like a sensible option. You can get plain coffee with a little sugar free syrup and half and half or heavy cream if they have any. That seems like the most sensible option.

Also, looking at their food options just for the fun of it
Their petit vanilla scone has 16g carbs
and all their petit cookies have between 4-5g carbs each
I have no clue what size these cookies are and I do not suggest eating them but I did find it interesting that one could order coffee and a cookie and still have less carbs than many of their drinks. I guess that puts things into perspective.

Keep in mind I do not know if all the Starbucks' have these cookies, I could only pull up the nutritional information for the food based on my local store (can you believe there are 80 within a 10 mile radius?)

HoneyBunch
Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:48
*MyJourney,
Thanks for all the carb counts! Wow- I looked at your gallery, and your food looks soooo delicious :)

*Hi everybody :wave:
Thankyou much again!! I hav'nt been to starbucks for a long time almost 2 years...I plan to go next weekend with inlaw to chat...So, now I feel comfortable knowing what to order now...I will let you'll know what my final decision was ;)

SurfRider
Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:34
Oh My God! I went to starbucks this morning and got a GRANDE sf vanilla breve latte. There went my 20 carbs and then some. CRAP. Might as well eat everything now.

J

nikkil
Fri, Feb-10-06, 23:04
Oh My God! I went to starbucks this morning and got a GRANDE sf vanilla breve latte. There went my 20 carbs and then some. CRAP. Might as well eat everything now.

J

NOOOOO, no, no, no, no.....

I did the EXACT same thing the first time I went to Starbucks while LCing. Just chalk it up to experience (yeah, I kicked my own butt a million times over it) and share the info with other LCers :)

Next time, go with a coffee-of-the-day with sf syrup and ask for their pourable whipped cream (they keep it under the counter in a 1-liter carton).

sennypoo
Fri, Feb-10-06, 23:36
I have a tall sf breve latte every morning.....I have no problems with my weight loss. I always get 2 shots of expresso, not a much half n half!!! YUMMY!!

MsTwacky
Sat, Feb-11-06, 00:45
I personally get a Grande drip with 2 add shots (espresso) and SF vanilla syrup. Then I add 2 packets of splenda and a lil milk and half and half.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Starbucks.........I'm so addicted. But then again I have always liked speedy things.