PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to 199

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

pinkcaddy
Fri, Dec-28-01, 13:04
I thought we could have a new forum for those of us who are focused on seeing the magic number 199 on our scales...I have been dreaming about it for a while now and this year it will be reality....anyone else feel the same way?

John2001
Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:33
Hi there,
I too want to see that magic number of 199-lbs too!
Was hoping to see it before the turn of the new year, but fell short by 15-lbs due to a 7-week stall. :(

I'm almost afraid to see that number appear on the scale! How about you?

I haven't seen that number on a scale for 15-years and I never thought I'd see it again in my life, well before getting on this plan.
I know I will see it in this year and it's beginning to get a little scary, believe it or not.

Your not alone in the "below 200" quest.

Cheers, John

Cheryl R
Mon, Dec-31-01, 00:06
I'm game...I started my journal 2 days ago...and the title of my journal is to see 1 as the first digit of my weight.

I have about 70 pounds to go...I count the weight at a support group I belong to....and I can't weigh until Jan 8th...due to the holidays. I just started the Atkins on Dec 26th...I'm hoping to be in the 260's by Jan 8th.

This will be fun watching everyone strive to get to 199...I'm so glad you started this.

Cheryl R
Mon, Dec-31-01, 00:08
Oh...I guess I should have said...the last time I saw below 200 was when I was going through divorce in 1987....I had been throwing up a lot...and had an ulcer... But...I gained it back within a year... so it's been 14 years for me. 2002 will be the year I will see it again...hopefully before my 46th birthday....in Nov. If not...soon after.

pinkcaddy
Mon, Dec-31-01, 10:42
I think the last time I saw it was in 1990. I gained 100 pounds that year. I had an abusive cheating husband and I know now that I gained the weight to "teach him a lesson". That didn't work so well did it??? 12 years later he is long gone and I still have the weight. I too feel...no firmly believe.... that 2002 is the year that I will get this under control....I would like it for a birthday present on April 20. I'll just keep plugging along every day. Consistency really is key. I am doing Atkins, it works for me and FOR ONCE it makes sence to me!
Happy New Year everyone.... I am so glad we have this support forum.. I am looking forward to seeing hundreds join in!!

Cheryl R
Mon, Dec-31-01, 10:53
OK.....what great birthday presents this would be. I will be rooting for you....how many pounds do you have to loose to get there. I'm going to follow you and see how you're doing. You have already made progress...I know you will do it.
For me to do it by my birthday..I will have to lose 6 or 7 pounds a month...I know I can do it with your help...and cheerleading.
I'm really stoked about this thread...I'm glad you started it.

pinkcaddy
Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:05
That's perfect! You can do it for your birthday! I am around 230 right now so I have 31 pounds to lose in almost 4 months.... no problem right??
I too am excited about this thread.... we are going to have fun and be able to support each other as a team.

Cheryl R
Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:19
NO PROBLEM
We can both do it... I like it...
We must be on line at the same time....
Have a good day.... I'm going to make myself a countdown to 199 on an excel spread sheet....It will be awesome.
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

pinkcaddy
Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:30
Great idea.... I like this "doing it together thing!"
I am sure there are a lot of others like us who will benefit as well. I am very motivated and confident! Thanks for your support!

Cheryl R
Tue, Jan-01-02, 14:05
how about if we tell others in other threads about this thread...well tell everyone who is int he 200's....then if we get about 10 people to cheer each other on...if not...then the 3 of us can cheer....
Pinkcaddy has 31 pounds to go....she's shooting for late April
I have about 70..and I'm shooting l'm shooting for Nov...but Jan 1 03 will do..
John..how about you???
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I want it by my birthday....:bday:

John2001
Tue, Jan-01-02, 15:08
Hi Cheryl R,

It's been a long, hard battle to this point, but I have 15-lbs to go, to break into the 199-area.
I was hoping to be at 200 for 1/1/02, but fell a little short.
I know we CAN do this, with this WOL, support from this site and the personal desire to succeed we all have inside us.
Nothing and nobody will stop us.

I'm game for this group. I, now, don't have far to go, but have been thinking of lowering my goal weight, once I get there. I think I'm going thru "Pre-post-goal depression". Still in my mind, I have a lot more than 15-lbs to go.
Will stay the course for this month as I had first planned to start working out a lot to build up the body again, before summer.
I really want to see that scale say 199 before I start adding on muscle weight.

Look forward to more posts from all of you.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
John

John2001
Tue, Jan-01-02, 15:13
PS: Cheryl
I really like your saying:

"defeat is not an option
2002 is my year"

Desire, determination, and the right mind-set will get us there!

John

Cheryl R
Tue, Jan-01-02, 15:57
Wow..that just dawned on me...when you reach the 199 mark...you are at goal....
Guys weigh different than gals...I'm only 5'4"

My husband just wants to get below 200 or in the 190's...but he's about 5 inches taller than me...or maybe more.

butt it's a new year...and we're on a roll :roll: :roll: :roll:

WE WILL FIGHT THE BATTLE...AND BE VICTORIOUS...

pinkcaddy
Wed, Jan-02-02, 09:03
You guys are great! This is going to be so much fun and so much better than going it alone. I am 5'8" so I will be reaching the ultimate goal around 150-160 but I am so focussed on 199 I can't even think about that right now. I have been in induction since the 27, only lost 3 lbs, think I need to increase water. I am in ketosis so something will start happening.
Have a great day!
Remember if we can believe it we can acheive it! Spread the word about this site! The more the merrier!

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-02-02, 20:51
Yipee --- Skippee...I get to weigh in in 6 more days...
It's day 8 for me....

199 is so close and yet so far.....

we can do it......

groovygirl
Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:05
Ooh, I'd like in on this! I haven't seen 199 since 1990. I've got 19.5 lbs to go. (and I'll just sit and cry when I reach it).

I know its just a number and all (like age), but it really does mean something! It is a milestone! It's a marker of achievement (for people who are losing vs. gaining).

So, whaddya'll say? Can I join you?

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:11
Groovy Girl...
we'll be sittin' here crying along with you...then ya'll get to hang around til the end of the year and cry with me...I stil have about 70 pounds to go....
Welcome to 199 group

groovygirl
Wed, Jan-02-02, 22:20
Hurrah, I made it in!

You know what, Cheryl? I know you can do it. We all can do it. We all found this woe, didn't we? We all found this site, didn't we? We all found this thread, didn't we?

Well, then there must be a reason for it.

Cheers to the 199'ers! I raise my glass of.....right now it's decaf raspberry tea...to all of you! Three cheers for the 199'ers :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

sunsight13
Thu, Jan-03-02, 03:59
I am really ready to see under 200 again. In 1997 I lost 55 pounds and weighed in at 162. I was hiking and really enjoying life. Starting in January 1998 life took one of those miserable turns. Within three months my best friend died, I was laid off from a job I loved, and moved across the country, away from friends and support, to a new job that paid better. I hated the job and the place. I was there for 17 months and the scale went up to 230. I moved to Italy for a job and even though the place was better the job sucked. I didn't gain any weight there but neither did I lose.

Now I am in Germany and life has calmed down tremendously with some good stuff happening. My biggest problem now is SAD, as it is dark and dreary most of the time. I would like to defeat it this time with diet and exercise. Started back at the gym last night and have been really good for 4 full days now. I am on my way down, down, down, to below 200 and then onward.

So I am ready to join you guys in the spiral to 199. Good luck to you and keep on LCing. Susan

John2001
Thu, Jan-03-02, 08:27
This is great, the group is getting bigger everyday as we are getting smaller ;)

It's good to have a group of people all striving for the same target, at the same time.
Some of us are close and others in the middle of the journey.

I agree, we will all be crying as person after person hits this goal!

Cheers,
John

pinkcaddy
Thu, Jan-03-02, 08:55
I weighed myself today. I have been in induction for 7 days, am in Ketosis and have gained a pound. I am really retaining water as well. I am going to try drinking lots and lots today. AAAAHHHH!

groovygirl
Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:06
Welcome Sunsight13!

You sure have a lot of guts to be moving round the world for a job! If you can have the determination to do that, you can surely get down to at least 199! (We have similar stats, I notice ;) ) You've all the support you could ever want right here.

Pinkcaddy:
I haven't noticed yet if you are keeping a journal. Do you want to post menus/want feedback? I've read where some people gain a little bit and then their whoosh is phenomenal!! Drink, drink, drink, by all means. I'm waiting for that whoosh!

and John:
We won't have any excuse for water retention after all of the tears we'll cry for each other after we hit the big number, eh?

Hang in there gang - we are doing great! :clap:

Ricamortys
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:19
I just started my Induction yesterday. I have not seen 199 on a scale since 1990. I look forward to making the journey with some people who understand what I am trying to do. :) I look forward to seeing some success stories unfold in this forum.

I think I will be one of them.

tonmur
Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:03
You can count me in as part of the group. I can't wait to see 199. I am 100% dedicated. I am doing it for myself to once again let my outside beauty match my inside beauty. I am doing it for my wonderful husband for all the love, support and belief he has in me and has shown me and I am doing it for my two daughters. I want to be able to get down in the floor and play with them and show them that mommy can be as roudy as they are.

I will succeed.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

John2001
Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:58
I really like the fact that everybody in this forum is:
100% commited, has a very positive attitude, and all of us have
the same goal!

I have gone back to a very strict regiment again. I want to get there, hopefully, by the end of the month. (Jan.)

Beginning in Feburary, I will start working out again. (after a 10-yr break) Before I start adding muscle weight, I really want to see that magic number of 199!

Keep up the good work folks, we will succeed!

Cheers, John

justme
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:16
Geeze what it would be like to hit the 190's.........

Good luck to ya all !!!!!!!!

Cheryl R
Fri, Jan-04-02, 00:24
justme,
You are really close...we will all cheer you on...but ya'll will have to stay around for me to do it...It might be awhile..

OK...our group is growing.....yipee

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 01:00
So, 199 is in sight for all of us, right? I want it so bad, I could taste it. Tastes like ham.

:p

So, apart from sitting on the floor and having a good cry (which is what I am gonna do) when I see that number on my scale...how are you going to reward yourself for all of your hard work?

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 01:04
Hey Cheryl,

Do you really think we'd all leave and let you celebrate 199 all by your lonesome? It will be here before you know it. :rheart:

sunsight13
Fri, Jan-04-02, 01:55
:cheer: Hi guys,

I am excited about a group with the same goal. I will be cheering you on :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I have been really dedicated to eating correctly since the 1st and go back to the gym tonight. Going three times a week minimum.

Taking jobs overseas and moving to new countries seems so much easier then losing weight! I know others think that is adventurous and risky but it is what I love to do - travel and see the world. And a new job is a new job, no matter where it is, so might as well be in a new country that I haven't lived in.

Losing weight is so tied into all the negative emotions of my childhood and eating is so soothing & sedating (especially carbs). It makes parts of life easier, however, it also cuts into my health and fun stuff, so here I am working my way (or weight) down the scale.

I am just glad I have other dedicated "losers" to do it with. Thanks for the support and I look forward to our victories!

Susan

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 02:17
Ha, for once I'm proud to say I 'm a loser!

Susan, funny you should bring up emotional eating stemming from our childhood. I just wrote about that in my online journal. I felt no love growing up (dysfunctional/abusive home, three teenage boys and then me, father out having affairs, mom (severely overweight) just trying to keep her sanity, let alone pay attention to a little girl.) Food became my friend. It was always there. It never let me down. It was a comfort. Now, I've taken a habit that I learned in childhood and have continued it in my adult life. I'm slowly learning how to love myself. I need to learn how not to invest so much in what other people think of me and just love myself. I've actually said more about it here than in my journal. Thanks for allowing me to get that out.

In any case, its time for me to take over. I know that I can change my life at a moment's notice just by deciding that I'm going to do something, and deciding it with such conviction that it has no choice but to happen.

Yes, I can see 199. You can see 199. We all WILL see 199. But you have to want to. In one of my support groups from the past, there was a little joke about Camp Yougottawanna. Its all about attitude.

Geez, Susan, you are burning calories right there with all those cheerleaders going full blast! Have fun at the gym! :rheart:

rustpot
Fri, Jan-04-02, 07:32
I am heading for the same place but this side of the pond we tend not to think in pounds but stones (14lbs) and if you have a few less grey hairs than me ..... :baby: in metric kilos.

My weight loss program is a bit like a time machine. I have so far regressed to 1998. I am heading back to 1980 when I was last 199 pounds. :)

I suppose I will have to stop sometime as I was born 8lbs! :baby:

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 11:00
Hey rustpot,

The 80's were a fabulous time. In fact, many people I know tell me I'm still living in the 80's. Gotta love that music!

Looking forward to going back there and reminicing when you hit 199! :Party:

rustpot
Fri, Jan-04-02, 11:36
Let me remember? :idea: Groovy has to 70's. If I go back that far... Will I be able able to get into my flared jeans, pink flowery shirt and matching kipper tie? :D

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 13:39
Hey rustpot -

All of those fashions are back in style!! However, I was a child then and thinking back to some of those get-ups my mom would dress me in, I'm glad I wouldn't be able to get into them again.

Being born in 67, I don't consider myself a child of the psychadelic 60's...things were definitely groovy in the 70's, mod in the 80's, grunge in the 90's....I definitely love the groove stuff tho - of the 70's and the technogroove I'm hearing on internet radio lately.

Cheryl R
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:19
When I reach 199 I am going to reward myself with lots of new clothes....at least 5 outfits...

IMost of the clothes I have now, I can wear until I get down to about 225...I think....then I might have to get a few things but when I get to 199...I get lots of new clothes....

We are all going to do it...and now I see we have a variety of "starting weights...so we will constantly have someone to cheere on who is getting close....yipee...this is going to be fun.
We are an a roll....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:54
Hi Cheryl!

I think those outfits you plan on buying are a must reward! Just think of how expensive loosing all your weight is gonna be - all new clothes, except for maybe socks! And won't it be fun to shop off the 'normal' sized racks? Whoo, I wish I could go with you when that time comes. How fun!

I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do for 199. When I get to goal weight, I really would like to go on a Hawaiian cruise (tears in my eyes as I type that cuz I would be so proud of myself and want it sooooo bad!) :cry: I want to wear a bathing suit on a Hawaiian beach. I want a knockout evening dress be a gorgeous woman on my dh's arm. And I want to be photographed (what a concept).

Okay, I'm composed...yes, we have to promise not to lose this thread as each of us hit 199, cuz there are more people to cheer on. The closest one so far, (yet she won't necessarily be the first, knowing how the human body behaves during weight loss attempts) is Susan (sunsight13). She has 15 pounds to go. I've got my little tally here by the computer - we've got 9 people in this countdown -

Let's start counting 'em down! :yay:

John2001
Fri, Jan-04-02, 22:58
I always had grandparents that liked to reward you with food.
Mow the lawn. . . here, have a cookie, chips, ice cream, etc, when I was a kid.

Now as an adult, I see the same thing happening again to the kids of today. It's been breeded into us.

Who started this way of thinking? When you do a good thing, your reward is a sweet treat!!! What ever happen to a "thankyou" or "nice job" kid, here's a quarter or let's go and do something fun with the family!

It's apparently been passed down for so long now that nobody is seeing the problem with this line of thinking. This is where the problem starts. Years later, here's the result. No matter what we do in life, were never happy with ourselves. The more "reward" we get, the more unhappy we become.
--------------------------------------------
I too am a kid that grew up in the 80's, for the most part. Still seem to have that way of thinking, in my daily life. I see that a good number of us, are from that generation too. It was a fun time for the most part.
-------------------------------------------
I too can't wait to buy the next set of new clothes. But the one thing I can't say I like about this WOL is the expense of buying the clothes. I'm buying blue jeans, again, tomorrow! Of course I can't really complain, there a size smaller again. ;) I just hate clothes shopping is all.

Let's hear it for us losers!
Cheers, John :roll:

Ruth
Fri, Jan-04-02, 23:03
Hi to this big bunch of happy losers!

After checking out this countdown thread, I thought I'd just jump in too. Lots of pumped people looking forward to success this year.

It sure feels good to be starting a new year as a lowcarber. With 9 months of LC under my belt (and 50 lbs less under the belt :p )I think I've got a good chance of having a very successful year of losing.

My plan: Atkins; I recently completed the Group Study Project V2, see it here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/t24977.html) . Lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks, not bad! I'll be modifying it to be more flexible on the veggies on Cal boost day & will tweak as necessary. What I'll be doing is this:
Mon: Reg Atkins
Tues: Lean Protein only, no carbs,veg or fat
Wed: Cal boost day, no dairy except 2 oz cheddar for my omelet :)
emphasis on green leafy veg, min 25 carbs & 10 - 12 x weight in cals, ie 240 lb x 10 = 2400 cals is the target for the day. This is hard to do without dairy!
Thurs & Fri: will probably repeat LP & CB days
Sat & Sun: Reg Atkins

This is not for the faint of heart, giving up dairy is really tough to do and LP days can get monotonous. The few of us who did the V2 Project kept journals in the group proj area of journals. Have a look if you are interested in what we ate, fitday #'s, etc

I'm currently reading Body for LIFE and may start that program Feb 4th.

Good luck to all who are yearning & working towards the magic 199 number! I haven't seen that # since 1987.

:eek: Now there are 9 journals I'll need to be watching for: my new countdown buddies!

TTFN

groovygirl
Sat, Jan-05-02, 01:49
No matter what we do in life, were never happy with ourselves. The more "reward" we get, the more unhappy we become.

Ah, yes. As Buddha taught: Our suffering comes from desire. We see X and think it will make us happy. We attain X and find we are still not happy, so we get the updated X and still, we are unhappy. It is not until we find happiness from within that we become truly happy. I'm really working with this lately.

I see that a good number of us, are from that generation too. It was a fun time for the most part.

I miss the dance club scene. I remember staying out till 6am in downtown Chicago, going home, showering and going to work. Mind you, I was late teens/early 20's at the time. There is a dance club here that has 80's night and I'd love to go but DH isn't into it and then there is the embarrassment factor of my weight....

I'm buying blue jeans, again, tomorrow! Of course I can't really complain, there a size smaller again.

Hooray! That has got to do wonders for motivation, John. Way to go.

Woooo, Welcome Ruth to the 199 Countdown Club :wave: !

I will definitely check into your project journals as I am a curious one. Maybe then I'll get some insight as to why you are doing only lean protein, no carb/fat for a day.

I gave up dairy for a while last year while I read Marilu Henner's book. She gives one helluva argument on why we shouldn't eat dairy. My take on her plan was that it seemed the same as Fit For Life, with the whole food combining concept. My body does not like carbs (my digestive system lets me know), so low-carb is the way for me, if not in weight loss, in digestive health.

Glad to have you here. With 50#'s already gone, we know you'll hit 199 in no time!

Cinnamom
Sat, Jan-05-02, 12:12
Count me in! I've told myself that this is my first goal! 199 and then, whoosh! :agree:

Ruth
Sat, Jan-05-02, 18:45
Originally posted by groovygirl

I will definitely check into your project journals as I am a curious one. Maybe then I'll get some insight as to why you are doing only lean protein, no carb/fat for a day.

Cool! I have no desire to re-invent the wheel, that's why I referred you over there. It's a good idea to check out the original group project, it has a bit more of the rationale there.

About dairy: there are a few folks here, notably Karen and Doreen T who have given up cow dairy for the most part. One of Karen's arguments: in all of nature, animals only drink their mother's milk for a short time & no other species drinks/eats the milk of another species except humans: cow, sheep, goat etc.

I enjoy my full fat dairy and won't give it up until I'm forced to. BFL will force me to go fat free, which means I won't be eating much dairy because of lactose intolerance.

Anyhoo, its' great to be tackling a new year that promises to be a good year: we'll all have slimmer bodies.

Cinnamom, welcome to our little group. Wishing you every LC success.

rustpot
Sat, Jan-05-02, 19:11
This thread seems to have captured the imagination of many like minded individuals.

It will soon get lost in the melee of this site. I will check in now and then.

I have had a little relapse over the christmas holidays and am nealy back to my pre holiday state.

gained 4 pounds lost 2 pounds Ho hum

Cheryl R
Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:48
Wow...I haven't checked in for a few days...got kind of busy...
We have 11 of us striving for 199....
I did a quick check...
5 are in their teens...between 214 1ns 218.5
one at 220
three in the low to mid 230's
one in mid 240's
and then there is little old me at 272....

we all can do this.....
go team go.....

Let's keep this group alive and going through 2002...and into 2003....for some of us.

groovygirl
Sun, Jan-06-02, 01:29
Welcome Cinnamom! :wave:

Ruth:
Yeah, your reasonings with dairy that you listed were the same as Marilu Henners. I did soy for a while, but decided to go back to low carbing it and the soy milk I was drinking had high carbs. I made my choice to go back to cow's milk. The little of it I drink (in coffee) is not enough to go nuts over. Cheese is a different story :)

rustpot:
I've made it so I have 'subscribed' to this thread (and others) so I don't get lost in the multitude of threads. There are so many good ones - like a low carb buffet of legal goodies!

Have no fear, you will get back on track, you've got to make it to 199 you know!

Let's keep this group alive and going through 2002...and into 2003....for some of us.
Hey Cheryl,
So what makes you think you can't make 199 in this year? It *can* be done. Do you want to do it? Do you *choose* to do it? Anything is possible. (I should really be attending my own lectures.)

This week I want to see some lower numbers on some posts coming thru to this thread...there is a wiggly smilie for each one of us. It means we are at least doing side stretches...working on those love handles!
:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:02
I'm sure going to try for 2002....but It's hard for me to look at the big picture...and if I don't make it in 2002...then...I CHOOSE to keep on going and make it in 2003....but I will get there....and we have to have one in the groop lagging behind...that way everyone else can cheer me on...and I know it helps to cheer someone else on....
My big goal for the year is 199....but my little goal right now is to make it to the bit 10 pound mark by my weigh in this Tuesday...and wether I make it or not ...I choose to set another mini goal that night...and It will be to lose 10 pounds before my trip in the end of March....which means I will have 11 weeks to do that....
What I really need to do is to choose to get my but up and on that treadmill more.... I'm doing ok with the eating...but I have not exercised at all.
lets keep rolling :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
and stretching from side to side :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

BaileyWS
Sun, Jan-06-02, 13:55
I'd like to join the club!

I have been fixated at getting below 240 for a number of reasons ... 1) an incident where I was denied the chance to go horseback riding because I was over 240; 2) I was at 240 or above for most of my adult life; and 3) i remember the doctor's attitude towards my weight shifted dramatically when I reached 240 -- so I assumed (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) that 240 was a huge barrier of some kind.

I hit 238 one morning about 2 weeks before Christmas and was SO SO happy. It didn't last long -- consitpation, water retention, that TOM, etc. Kept the numbers above 240 for most of the Christmas season.

Today I weighed in at 238 again -- and I tried three times to see if the scale would rescind it's previous verdict -- 238 all three times!

So I've met my 240 goal again. Now I need to move my gaze off 240 and down to the 200 mark. I was under 200 in 1987 when I went on a very low-fat, low calorie plan diet. I had lost 60 pounds that year -- from 240 to 180. I didn't keep it off for more than 6 months, though.

199 scares me, too ... seems unattainable ... seems not like me (since I've always defined myself as a "BIG" woman).

I imagine that at 199 I might begin to be more sexually appealing to men other than my husband -- and I don't know if I want that hassle -- though on the other hand, it could be fun :)

Thanks for letting me joing the group ... I will give y'all support in the process of losing.

10stone10
Sun, Jan-06-02, 16:03
Ok I'm with you folks - countdown to 199!

I started the Atkins Plan only a month ago but I'm convinced its the way to go. My long term goal is to lose 80 pounds. I want to weigh the same as I did when I got married. I have no children to blame my weight gain on - no pregnancy weight gain, no cleaning up the left-overs. Its all down to me eating too much too often.

Exercise is one of my downfalls. I don't do much. Two years ago my husband and I decided to go to a gym and work out together. He got a hernia and we haven't been back! I like to walk but need motivating. I can make excuses for ever!

How do other motivate themselves to do exercise?

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-06-02, 16:29
welcome ladies...
Bailey...how does it feel to be down over 40 pounds...that to me sounds like heaven...really I want to know...it will give me something to look forward to.

and stone...motivation for exercise...when you get the answer...let me know.... two days in a row, I've gotten on the treadmill...and didn't last very long...really...like not even 5 minutes...I don't know why..but I used to walk 1/2 hour at a time...and that was early in 2001...no I just can't seem to do it...I know I should...I want too...but I just don't.

I was down to below 24 back in March...but after 2 family tragedies hit...one after another..I quit...got depressed and gained back to where I had started at 264...and gained more up to 279 when I joined tops. I was so out of control...I figured if I was going to die..I might as well die happy.....that came from the fact that I lost 2 sisters one in the end of 1999 and the other in March of 2001... for some reason...I figured my heart would give up too. I was numb for months...went on anti depressants which dulled my senses...and wah-laaa gained a ton of weight....to the point that my back is killing me..(figuratively speaking).

Any-hoooo....welcome ladies...
we are growing....well the group anyway...but our bodies are shrinking...yipee :wave: :wave:

pinkcaddy
Sun, Jan-06-02, 17:47
Thanks for your advice Groovy girl. I had a really hectic week last weekand could not reply but I thought of the phrase "whoosh" many times. I am feeling much better now. It feels so great to be in control of food instead of food controllong me!

Cheryl, you are such a great cheerleader!

This is a great site for all of us. WE CAN DO IT TOGETHER BECASUE WE UNDERSTAND THE MANGITUDE OF THE NUMBER 199.

I am very happy to be part of this group. What are you all doing for exercise?
:cheer:

BaileyWS
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:15
Originally posted by Cheryl R
Bailey...how does it feel to be down over 40 pounds...that to me sounds like heaven...really I want to know...it will give me something to look forward to.

I am down nearly 50 pounds total, 42 of it since 7/29 when I started Atkins. Sometimes I hardly notice a thing different -- except that I have all new clothes. Other times it's a world different. I visited my family over Christmas and had a glimpse of the way my life used to be -- eating all the time, tired all the time, dull and pessimistic. Now I feel lots more energetic -- not ready to run a marathon or anything, but generally able to do the things which give me pleasure -- like bowling with my nephew, running around or dancing with my daughter, going for a bike ride.

I am looking forward to getting rid of another 40, I imagine I will be unstoppable :)

A doctor, trying to motivate me to lose weight, told me to find two 25 pound turkeys at the grocery and carry them around with me while I do the shopping for an hour - see how tired I am, then set them down and see how much lighter I feel and how much more energy I have. I never actually carried the birds, but I did pick them up and imagine -- whew! I'm glad I lost those two turkeys now!

BaileyWS
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:22
Originally posted by pinkcaddy
What are you all doing for exercise?

I joined Curves for Women -- a women's only excercise program. I go every morning -- well five days a week -- for a 35 minute routine including stretches, muscle toning machines, and aerobic excersize. I find it really works for me. Going out where others know me and see me everyday is a motivator -- i know that if I miss a day, someone will notice. The gym is climate controlled which is a big help in the hot/humid Gulf Coast of Texas. I can go before I take my morning shower -- so I don't have to shower twice. And it's only 35 minutes which doesn't interfere with my work schedule. And, best of all, I'm making friends there ...

I attribute most of my added energy to the excersize. I can do so much more now -- I walk (like in NYC last week) at a quicker pace -- making my husband keep up with me, instead of the other way around -- and for longer periods without "pooping out". In fact, now my hubby gets tired before I do :)

pinkcaddy
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:27
:wave:
We have simaler stats, I will be watching you! We are unstoppable!

readalie
Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:21
I am definitely in for counting down with you. It's been five years since I've seen 199 and I am ready!

readalie
Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:40
What are you all doing for exercise?

I read an article about a month ago on going aerobic exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Supposedly you lose more fat that way.

I've never exercised, even though I had signed up for a gym at the beginning of last year. But I set my alarm early (5:30 AM) and actually went to the gym.

I ride a bike for 24 minutes on a hill program at the second level (I started on the 0 level). Then I shower at the gym and go straight to work. I do this four mornings a week.

I don't know about fat burning because I ate so much over the holidays it could not possibly have helped. But It does have several other benefits:

- I get more done in the morning at work because I'm AWAKE :hyper:

- I have to get my clothes together the night before so no staring stupidly at my closet in the morning :confused:

- I am too tired at 5:30 AM to think up excuses about why I don't have to go. I just get up, pull on my sweats, and go to the car in a fog (kind of like that "Time to make the donuts" commercial from years ago)
:yawn:

- I get to feel really superior for the rest of the day because I have already worked out :dazzle:

So that's what I'm doing and now that I've chosen to change my eating habits maybe I will see some physical results as well.

Tina

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:44
I want to exercise...but I never manage to get my but up. I even made an exercise chart...and sad to say....since the 1st I've only walked 1 mile on my treadmill. I used to do about 5 miles a week... I don't know why...I get on...and then get right back off.

Ricamortys
Sun, Jan-06-02, 22:12
I am starting my exercise program tomorrow. I think I will do a little weight (resistance) training for my upper body and spend about 30 minutes on the treadmill. I have done both of these things in the past, but I stopped before Thanksgiving. I hope the exercise will boost my weight loss.

I have just completed my fifth day of Induction and I am starting to think about quiting. It seems to be a little more work than I had orginally thought. I did manage to make it through a night at the bowling alley (I'm on a league) without drinking a beer. That is the first time I've done that in almost three years. Another thing that is making me wonder is the Ketostixs. Yesterday my stix read "moderate", today it read "trace". Do they usually fluxuate like that?

I will weigh in tomorrow, hopefully I will be on my way to 199!

John2001
Sun, Jan-06-02, 22:24
I agree with Tina. If you even do some fast walking for 20-min's or so, you do, after a few days, feel a better energy level all day long.

I was walking for 20-30 min's a morning for a few months, but have slacked off recently due to catching a cold that just won't fully let go yet.

Also, spreading out your eating from 3 average meals to 5 smaller meals / snacks, helped me a lot. Keeps your body in constant digestion and for me, seems to raise your energy level all day long too.

Keep up the good work folks. I see everybody is very motivated here.

Cheers, John

John2001
Sun, Jan-06-02, 22:46
Hi there,

Acually, any reading on the sticks means your in ketosis. So don't fear!
Most people only get slight to moderate readings. If you get darker (purple) it probably means your not drinking enough water.

Don't give up! Your 5-days in. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Making a change in are everyday eating habits is the hardest in the beginning.

Good for you, avoiding the beer at bowling too! You had the willpower to say no to drinking even with your friends around you. If you can do that, we know you can do this long term!

At least give it a 100% effort for the first 2-weeks and then you can see your results! If you follow this plan to the "T" it will work for you!
As someone who has been overweight for my whole life and has tryed every plan know to man to lose weight. This is the only plan that has got me to this level of weight loss ever.
The last time I saw 200, I was probably a freshman in highschool.
This plan has worked for so many, don't give up!! If it didn't, I wouldn't be here, typing this at almost 12-pm on a Sunday night!

Hang in there!
Cheers, John

BaileyWS
Sun, Jan-06-02, 23:41
Cheryl,

What do you do while you're on the treadmill? I remember hearing years ago -- was it NPR? -- that research was done and people who listened to upbeat music while they excercised used more calories than those who watched TV ... just a little trivia :)

I know some people read the newspaper or a book while they're working out ...

I thought focussing on something else for those 30 minutes might help you stay on the machine ... I know the time I spend at the gym goes by so much faster when there are others there talking with me ... just listening to the music is not enough to occupy my brain -- I start counting minutes.

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-06-02, 23:50
I couldn't have said it better than John...

OK...guys and gals...you've brainwashed me...I will start my exercise program tomorrow...starting with walking on the treadmill...I will not watch my taped soaps...unless Im on the treadmill. We have a big tv in out living room and that is where I had Darrell put up the tread mill.

Cheryl R
Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:03
bailey...I have tried to read on my treadmill, but it doesn't work...my eyes won't focus. But...it does help if my soaps are on. Today I got on when the 49'rs were playing...and my stupid heater kicked on and I got to hot...I had only walked 10 minutes.
I will walk 1/2 hour tomorrow...I will I will I will

Ruth
Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:22
What am I doing for exercise?

Since I am returning to work tomorrow after 2 wks vacation, I'm going back to the exercises, stretches and weights that the trainer had me on.

I should tell you that I was off work 3 + months during summer/fall 2001 with a herniated lumbar disc. My back muscles got weak 'cause I had to lay flat a lot! As part of my return-to-work program, I had to work on building up my upper back muscles so sitting at my desk & PC is not a struggle, as well as working on the strenth & flexibility of lower back.

Having said all that, in 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to start the BFL program.... it's intense but I think I can do it if I choose my LBWO exercises carefully. For example, I already know that lunges cause unending lower back pain :mad: :( (but not the previous sciatica, Thank God!). Lunges of any kind will not be in the program :p

Today Marlaine & I went shopping for dumbbells and bought powerblocks a compact set of dumbbells for (IMHO) space-challenged homes. Read about power blocks here (http://www.powerblock.com) .

Good luck to everyone in starting and continuing their chosen exercise! Have a great LC week.

pinkcaddy
Mon, Jan-07-02, 09:57
I am one of those annoying people who love to go to the gym and get on the treadmill or stairmaster... I went on holdiays in November and broke my routine. Then I got bronchitis and still didn't go to the gym.

TONIGHT there are no more excuses. I am feeling better. I will go even if I only work out for 1/2 hour....

You guys are terrific. Never give up. The moments of weakness and feeling like quitting can be exhanged for a life of fitness, confidence, and good health. If I can do it so can you!

Ricamortys
Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:51
Thanks for the words of encouragement, John!

I decided not to weigh in this morning, I didn't want to discourage myself. I told some of the guys at work about the Atkins diet and one of the guys has decided to start tomorrow. I think that will help.

:roll:

John2001
Mon, Jan-07-02, 19:46
Good for you, making the commitment!
Having a friend or co-worker on the same plan helps a lot. I went it alone for a long time,(well except for the folks ~ this site) then a friend of mine decided to do it too
Suddenly, I'm a role model / LC gorue, in my friends eyes. ;) I'm constantly being asked / called up all the time and asked, "is this ok to eat? " I also have my sister doing this WOL too. Accually, she was the reason why I started doing this. She's been on Atkins for a little over a year now and is half the person she used to be.

I only weigh myself every couple to 3 weeks. It's hard to wait that long, but I also don't have a scale at home which helps not falling into the habit of weighing myself daily.

Keep up the good work and have your co-worker join the group here too!

Cheers, John

groovygirl
Tue, Jan-08-02, 01:09
Wow, I don't log on for a day and there is so much mail to address!

Welcome Bailey, 10stone10 and readalie to the countdown to 199. I trust that everyone is keeping their numbers (weight stats) up to date? John, I will ask you, is your goal 200 or 199? ;) A pound is a pound, dude!

ricamortys - don't give up now! Like John said, you're thru the rough days, it should get easier from here on in. Give yourself the full two weeks of induction. Make your decision if you want to continue or not after that.

I'm one of those people who has one million and one excuses for why I don't want to exercise but once I get into it, its really fun. I experience the 'runners high' even though I don't run. I was looking for a treadmill last september/october. I read online about continuous horsepower for people over 200 lbs and those, at the used sports equipment store, started at $300. Walking in the park is way cheaper, but its hard to get out there every day. I like to put on my music (and being groovy, I've got alot of fun dance music) and do aerobic routines (but only when DH isn't around!).

Okay, okay, you've all got me motivated (wish there was a smilie for pats on the back), you should all feel very special right now....I will do a 1/2 hour of aerobics tomorrow before work.

What a great thread. Thanks to all of you for your generosity in sharing.

City Gent
Tue, Jan-08-02, 08:10
hi guys.

I started my diet yesterday, IDEALLY i would love to get down to 200lbs, but i think 19 sounds better! I would feel so much better about myself, in fact i cant remember when i last weighed 14 stone (196lbs). I reckon it must be 15ish years ago, and im 31 now!
I'm 6'2" so people have always told me "youre not fat" or "you carry it well", and i guess eventually i started to believe them, but ive noticed that recently i cant wear my favourite clothes, and my favourite clothes shops dont sell anything big enough :(

I would to lose a lot in the first 2 weeks (psychological you see!), but then id be happy with gradual, steady weight loss.

Do you think 67lbs is possible in a year (or less!)?

I do feel a bit lonely on this diet, as my wife only has 10lbs to lose (cow!) and no-one else i know is or needs to be on a diet, so lets get each other through it, ok?

Sorry if this was a bit depressing, but i feel better now!

Roll on 199.....

Steve

John2001
Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:28
Glad to see you with us.
You and I are about the same start weight, height, and age. (I'm 32)
"You carry it well" Oh boy, I can't tell you how many times I heard that line!!! Or your just a big guy. Another one of my favorites too.

It's not impossible to lose that much in a year(67-lbs). I didn't weight in before I started but had been at 260-275 a couple years before and guessed at it, based on clothes sizes. I was a 46-in waist in jeans before starting this WOL.
I just tryed on 38's last night and an wearing them now. I'm thrilled to be below 40. I want to see 36 again.

I dropped approx 75-lbs since the end of June 2001. So a good 6 solid months, with no cheating, at all, down 75-lbs. So is possible.

We all lose at different rates, so don't be discouraged if you don't lose as fast. I'm back wearing clothes from 1987-1988. (Tryed on a work shirt from back then last night and fit in it better now, than I did back in the 80's)

I too had a hard time shopping for clothes. In the "big n tall" stores, I had to find the smallest sizes and in the regular clothing stores, had to find the largest sizes. Augh!

Anyway, keep a positive attitude, your mind set in place and don't give up! I never thought I would be this size again, ever, and I'm here.

Stay with us and check out all the good posts from the members on this site. Lot's and lot's of good information, tips, and advise here. The folks here are great.

Cheers, John

John2001
Tue, Jan-08-02, 15:11
Ok, . . . ok, I changed my goal weight on the side to 199!! :D
Acually, been thinking about 185-190 for a final destination weight a little. Having 15-lbs to go, I starting thinking that maybe it should be lower than 200..... ahh 199-lbs that is.

Think I'm suffering from "Pre-post-goal-depression", if you will. Guess I'll never be happy! ;) (Just kidding)

Cheers, John

City Gent
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:23
"Your just a big guy" - you're not wrong there!

did you ever find that people would give you bigger portions because you were a big guy? I did, now i joke that that's the reason i'm a big guy!!

Jeans is my big thing at the moment. I used to be comfy in a 36". Now the biggest i can buy in the uk from "decent" shops is 40", and to be honest, they dig into me like hell. Like you, i would LOVE to wear a 36" again - i might make that my goal (34"? nah!)

So your clothes from the 80's are fitting you again? Fantastic, but don't you look a bit out of place in a WHAM t-shirt? LOL!

I'm going to Italy in March for a weeks snowboarding, and my initial aim is to be able to buy a pair of proper snowboarding trousers (largest size available is a 38"). I MUST fit into them, i must.

As i mentioned before, I started the diet yesterday and as i went to the gym this evening (45 mins aerobic excercise) i thought i'd get weighed..... down 2lbs in 2 days! not a bad start...

Cheers for now, and good luck one and all.

Steve

10stone10
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:37
Hi there City Gent
I only signed up to this countdown thread a day before you but thought I'd welcome you 'cause I'm just down the road in Lancashire!

I had the ski trouser problem last year. We went to Austria in Feb last year and I couldn't find a suit to fit me for love nor money - I had no choice but to diet into my old ski suit. I managed JUST! That was before I started Atkins though. I think it might have been easier to lose the weight if I'd found Atkins a year earlier than I did!

Best of luck to all!

John2001
Tue, Jan-08-02, 18:23
Hello fellow "big guy" lol

I did notice, when dining, people always asking me "do you want some more, you have enough? " *How true, that's how we got to be so big! ;)

No "wham" T-shirts thanks!!! lol I did find a lot of shirts that I'm saying to myself now, did I really wear this in public??? Yikes!

Snow pants: You might just make it in time. I noticed I lost quickly at the very beginning, then slowed down to a nice steady pace of weight lose.

Now don't go crazy weighting yourself everyday!! ;) I didn't weight in for at least a month into this WOL. But, knew I was losing because the clothes were fitting looser. Maybe do it once a week or every 2 weeks. That way you get a realistic number that wouldn't be confused with water weight.

Cheers, John

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-09-02, 00:21
Well everyone...I only have to lose 71 now to get to 199...I lost 2 pounds on my weigh in....that was for 3 weeks...
the first week was Christmas week...where I stuffed my self everyday with anything I could get my hands on...the next 2 weeks was 2 weeks of induction....
I'm ok with that.....
I can live with 1 pound a week...I was hoping to see a different figure for my second digit...oh well that will have to wait until next week.

sunsight13
Wed, Jan-09-02, 01:16
Hi guys, I am a bit older then most of you but am commited getting back to hiking. I really want to hike the Grand Canyon again, rim to rim, as I did 4 years ago. It is so beautiful!

I am down 2 more pounds to 213 and so ready to see 199. I wish that were my goal weight but being female, even a fairly tall one, I really need to loose another 40-50 after that. But breaking the barrier will be wonderful.

Good luck to you all. Susan

groovygirl
Wed, Jan-09-02, 02:32
Hey, whats wrong with WHAM! T-shirts? What about Duran Duran and Depeche Mode? :p

Welcome Steve and congrats on the committment to a healthier you. Oh yeah, I agree with John that you could lose 67 pounds in a year, especially cuz you are male. Not to be sexist (please, I mean no offense);it is my belief that males tend to lose easier than females. We have all that estrogen and stuff getting in our way.

"You carry it well". I've heard that one too. Then there is the situation when people tell me that they didn't see me standing there. How can you NOT see a 5'5" woman who weighs 200+ pounds (at one time was 237). Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Good to see you checking in 10stone10 and Susan. Cheryl, don't be disappointed. You never know when the whoosh fairy will come to visit. You've got one more pound to change that second digit. It will come. :spin:

Susan, great work on those two pounds. :clap: You know, I've lived in Arizona for 10 years and have never been to the Grand Canyon. I've always wanted to go. How long did it take you to trek rim to rim?

I see you've changed your number, John. I think I'm gonna change my too, as that is my first goal. You can be happy. I suspect you have a great sense of humor and I appreciate your presence here. You make a difference for me. :bhug:

You have me thinking about that "pre-post goal depression" and my thoughts meandered to the following: I think sometimes we think we will somehow be different once we hit a goal weight. Some of us are scared to be something different and self-sabatoge. We need to realize we are who we are regardless of the numbers on the scale. I think it is incredible that 15 strangers can come together on this thread and support each other, sight unseen. Our committment to ourselves and our dedication to our health speak volumes. Not sure if I've completed the thought process but wanted to share with what I had come up with thus far.

Thanks for listening. :rheart:

sunsight13
Wed, Jan-09-02, 04:14
Groovy Girl,

It took me two days to hike from the North Rim (elev 8,200) to the South Rim (elev 7,200), which is the easiest direction to hike in. It is about 25 miles and I have to tell you, I crawled that last mile! Spring or fall is the time to go, especially if you are carrying a tent, slipping bag, food and gallons of water. The water is necessary in that environment and it weighs 8lbs a gallon! Hope you do it some day. It is worth every blister.

My goal after leaving Europe is to live in New Mexico or Arizona. I love the Four Corners area and I want to be in good hiking shape when I do. I am heading there for a vacation in September and savor every moment there.

Keep on truckin' towards that 199! Susan

John2001
Wed, Jan-09-02, 06:10
Oh yeah, the canyon was incredible. I went on a, ahh...whats that word I'm seaching for.... oh yeah, "vacation" ;) back in Janurary of 1994 with a friend who lived in Calif. We toured southern Calif, AZ, thur the canyon area, up the Utah, back to Calif via NV. Clocked approx. 1,800-miles on the rental car in a week and a half. The Grand Canyon was just fantasic. I remember just sitting there for 15-min's at one of the points to try the weld the image in my mind. Took lots of video, but it doesn't do it justice.

I too want to live in AZ one day. For years my thoughts have been, when I retire, to move there. (yeah I know, retire, I'm only 32-yrs old, but that's my dream) Liked the wide open sky. No noise, just the wind and sky.

Wham t-shirts: nothing wrong with them. Ok, I found a Hall and Oats t-shirt :rolleyes: and a Huey Lewis n the News one too. I don't think I'll be wearing them around town anything soon!! ;)

I agree with your though process Groovygirl, it's hard to express one's thoughts clearly. I think we do have some self sabotage in ourselves somethings. But I know we can get to where we are going. Positive thoughts, think positive thoughts.
It is amazing that 15-people can come together, with a common goal, support, joke with, open up to, and discuss so much information with each other, and none of us have met face to face.
Anyway, I'm losing my thoughts on where I was going with this, but you get my point no doubt.
:daze:
Cheers for now, John

sunsight13
Wed, Jan-09-02, 09:45
Hi John,

I actually spent nine weeks at the Grand Canyon. Took all of my vacation time and worked at the gift shop at the North Rim. Have explored a lot of norther Arizona, New Mexico and southern Utah and Colorado. Even did some hiking in slot canyons in Arizona and Utah. Those are awesome. That is why it is the pits to be out of shape. By this summer I am going to be hiking again!!! Nothing ever can capture the granduer of those places. Even Awesome is too mild a word. It is one of those, you have to be there, moments.

Hope you make it there someday. My retirement is a lot closer and I could just hang out in that area forever.

Susan

Ruth
Wed, Jan-09-02, 12:03
Time to report my change of plan :(

Mon: back to work after 2 weeks vacation & no workouts.
It was a so-so LC day, but because of my good workout I was too tired to do the prep req'd for a lean protein day so I'm just going to follow my Atkins plan.

The good news: I've lost 2 of the lbs I gained over the holidays! :D The # in the side bar is my pre-holidays weight and I'm trying hard to get back there!

It looks like I'll be starting BFL sooner than I had planned. Hopefully the Power Blocks will be ready for p/u today. I plan to do a trial cardio (HIIT) on friday, as well as practicing some free weights using a bench (shoulder and chest presses). I've used machines for these muscle groups b4 but I'd really like to do them using free weights, its a better workout. I've started re-reading BFL and will do more research on the net tonight.

Have a great LC day, everyone!

John2001
Wed, Jan-09-02, 12:15
You are so right Susan. Words can not describe what you see there. Camera's don't do it justice. I did explore the North rim side and went to the gift shop at the top. Bought a picture of a sunset at the canyon. Mostly a dark red setting in the picture. Definately want to see it again!

Wow, 9-weeks there, you definately experienced the canyon! I only had a day to look. Next time I intend to spend all my time there, rather than trying to see many points on interest.

My friend an I also saw Zion Park. That was pretty amazing too. I liked the tunnel, thru the mountian that you drive thur for like 5-min's! Just amazing!

Also saw the Hopi or Hopie (spelling) Indian grounds as well as a lava flow.
Walked thur them and took lots of video. It was so quiet there that later, when viewing the video tape, I could hear a low humming on the audio of the tape. Couldn't for the longest time figure out what it was. Turned out to be the camera's motor inside that it picked up. Now that's quiet!

Glad you enjoyed it too.

Cheers, John

10stone10
Wed, Jan-09-02, 14:16
Sorry to break into everyone's reverie of holidays past (I've never been to the Grand Canyon and I'm jealous :lol: ) but I've just had a shock.

I've been letting things slide and estimating my carbs.

Result: I just came from fitday http://www.fitday.com and found that today I had 77 carbs when I figured about 30!!

Like Ruth I'm still trying to lose down to my pre-Christmas weight, but I've still got 3.5 to go! Clothes are feeling loose so I thought I could wing it and ... bingo ... over indulgence.

My mantra for the next week is - cashews are not macadamias.

Be careful out there folks!

BaileyWS
Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:00
Originally posted by 10stone10
I just came from fitday http://www.fitday.com and found that today I had 77 carbs when I figured about 30!!

Me too ... I started using fitday after the new year and was shocked! I thought I was on induction and was eating nearly 0 carbs ... surprise! The count was at 20, 21,19 ... good for induction, but much much higher than I thought. Eggs, for instance, have carbs!

Now I know I was "up there" before Christmas ... I've heard others say it ... now I'm one of them ... check out fitday, it'll keep you honest :)

Ruth
Wed, Jan-09-02, 19:39
Originally posted by BaileyWS

Now I know I was "up there" before Christmas ... I've heard others say it ... now I'm one of them ... check out fitday, it'll keep you honest :)

Ain't that the truth! I put the foods in on Monday and was too embarrassed to post the results. Way way way too many carbs. It's the almonds that'll get me every time.

I believe that I'll have to weigh out 1-2 oz (or whatever works for me when I'm on BFL and 50-60 carbs) & store in mini Ziplocs; that will be my max daily allottment. I've not been disciplined about measuring b4 I eat, then I guesstimate, usually on the low side :o .

Thank you 10stone10 for bringing this to our/my attention. It is easy to become complacent that you KNOW what you can eat, especially if you've been doing this awhile (9 months in my case).

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-09-02, 21:53
wow...I've never been to the grand canyon...maybe we can all meet there some day...and take a 2 day hike....

I'm sleep tonight...so I'll be off to bed...

City Gent
Thu, Jan-10-02, 03:34
I got caught out yesterday on cheese :(

Ive started today with renewed vigour as i felt really bloated yesterday, which seems to be down to the cheese.

Having said that, i had 3 eggs for breakfast today, but now BaileyWS tells me they have carbs too!! doh...

I will do this diet right, even if i have to eat ONLY chicken!! (not a big fan of red meat)

Looks like im back on tinned mackerel..at least i like that!

Steve

BaileyWS
Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:45
Originally posted by City Gent
Having said that, i had 3 eggs for breakfast today, but now BaileyWS tells me they have carbs too!! doh...

Yes, eggs have some, but minimal, carbs. That doesn't mean don't eat them. :) Two large eggs had 1 gram of carbs, according to fitday -- and they had 12 grams of protein. The point is to use fitday to get an accurate reading of the carbs, protein, fat, and calories you're eating.

sunsight13
Fri, Jan-11-02, 01:35
Hi guys,

Fitday.com is what alerted me to eating to much cheese, eggs, cream cheese, bacon and heavy cream. Once I figured out that even though I was staying at 20 carbs, I didn't have any room for vegies. Even the best carb vegies still seem to have quite a few carbs. So now I am limiting my carbs that are other then vegies to about 5 or 6 so I can have my three cups of vegies. And I am spreading them through the day. This seems to be working. Again, lots of water & herb tea, exercise and no caffeine are helping also.

Love the idea of meeting at the Grand Canyon. I just love it there and want to do it again. Some late September is the best time! See you slim people there!

Susan :roll:

pinkcaddy
Fri, Jan-11-02, 09:50
I will have to check out fitday. I am doing everything right ( I think) and I'm stuck.
You know, I have had a few opportunities to go to the Grand Canyon but I always declined because I wanted to see it by helecopter first. I would much rather see it with all of you under 199!!! Wouldn't that be great!!
Keep up the great work and NEVER give up!

cyndiboo
Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:42
Hello! :wave: I have been reading your posts and you all sound so up!! Just what I need.

Can I join your support group too? I am currently at 246 :( , and have not seen 199 since 1997!! :thdown: However, like you all, 2002 is my year to shine :sunny: . I am commited to doing this. I have bought three books and am going to make a chart like someone else here mentioned. :hyper: I will see you all at the scale.

I started college on Monday, so I am online (for the time being) on a more limited basis, but I will do everyhting I can to encourage each one of you. :bhug:

Cyndiboo :wiggle:

pinkcaddy
Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:50
Welcome to the group. You will do well here and we will benefit from your attitude and progress as well!! WELCOME! :wave:

Cheryl R
Fri, Jan-11-02, 22:22
Hey...where are all the 199 wannabee's

I hope we are all doing well...I'm feeling a few pounds closer to 199 this week.

Cinnamom
Sun, Jan-13-02, 01:33
Check my stats! I'm counting down and am about to move from induction to the next phase. Actually, I have been in ketosis for over a week, and have been adding some things not on induction like nuts and cheese and eating a few more cooked lc veggies than induction calls for. But I'm pretty relaxed about it, because I know now, after having done this previously for a solid year, that the important thing to success in this or any endeavor, is to keep moving in the right direction, and you'll get there. Day by day.

Let's all tell this forum what reward we plan for ourselves when we pass 199. OK - I'll go first. I plan on going on an "official date" with my hubbie. Nice dinner at a steak house (he's LC, too) and then on to a comedy club. Reaching this goal, we will all deserve to do something nice for ourselves!

How about your plans?

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-13-02, 22:10
I think we already did this on page 2 and 3....mine was to reward myself with lots of new clothes.....

A date with hubbie sounds good...we do that a lot anyway....we go out to movies and stuff...we still call them dates...since we work opposite shifts at work....

I've never been to a comedy club...that sounds like a lot of fun.

When I hit 175...we are going on a trip....just north for us...I've always wanted to go to the Oregon Caves...I missed out when our family went when I was a child...they all went...I stayed back with an aunt...because I had an ear infection... I was on the vacation...just not on the day of the Oregon Caves.... It doesn't sound like much...but it's something I've always wanted to do.

John2001
Wed, Jan-16-02, 18:29
* I found this on the web. It just about covers all the basics of to LC lifestyle. * John

Helpful Hints for Anyone Eating Low-carb

* Don't view eating this way as a "diet" - view it as a change in how you eat.

The biggest mistake people make is to think of a "diet" as something they will have to do only for a few months or a year not as a time to make a permanent change in eating habits. This is true no matter what diet you attempt - low fat, low carb, whatever. If you got fat eating sugar and starches once, then you got thin avoiding sugar and starches, you can bet the ranch that if you go back to eating sugar and starches you WILL regain the weight. I know. I've been there.

* Read the books!

No matter which low carb plan you follow, read the book and continually refer to it for information.

* Drink plenty of water

The general rule is 64 oz (about 2 liters) per day plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you are overweight. Drinking a lot of water aids in fat metabolism, keeps your kidney's functioning and keeps you properly hydrated.

* Stay away from low-carb "convenience" foods

Things like Atkins bars may sound like a good idea, but it is best to stay away from them and other pre-packaged "convenience" foods at least through induction or (even better) until maintenance. Some of these products have erroneous carb counts. Atkins bars have glycerin which, while not a carbohydrate, has been know to stall some people. Beware of low-carb sweets made with Malitol which is a sugar alcohol that can be a stopper for some. Read the labels. Experiment if you like. But be careful.

* Don't deprive yourself

You should not be HUNGRY on a low-carb diet since a low-carb diet stablizes insulin and blood sugar. If you get hungry, EAT something low-carb. Generally, low-carb diets are not calorie restricted. Granted, the fewer calories you ingest the quicker you will lose weight BUT this is not a race - it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

* Don't let yourself get bored!

It seems like food choices are so restricted on a low-carb diet that it can get boring quickly. However, it does not have to be that way! Cruise the web to find interesting recipes or buy one of the (few) low-carb cookbooks that are on the market.

* Be careful of so-called "free" foods

In Atkins book he refers to cheese and shellfish as "free" foods implying that they are carb free and can be eaten in unrestricted quantities. Many an unwary Atkins dieter has been derailed by this. Cheese has carbs - it varies by cheese and ranges anyware from about 0.1 grams to 1.5 grams per ounce. So does heavy cream - 6.7 grams per cup. Most shellfish also has carbs. Crab is the exception. Raw oysters are at the other extreme containing about 23 grams of carbohydrate per pound. Organ meats (such as liver) also contain some carbohydrate. If you are not careful, you can easily blow past your carb limit with these alleged "free" foods!

* Watch the "legal" desserts

One sure thing that will stop weight loss cold is overconsumption of "legal" desserts. I keep my allotment of "legal" desserts to no more than 5 grams of carb per day. Not just because more will start to blow my carb limit but because most of the desserts are very high in calories. Watch the serving size carefully. When Atkins says his cheescake is 12 servings, he means it. Just because the "legal" desserts are low carb does not mean they can be indulged in freely.

* Plan and prepare meals ahead of time

This way of eating works best if you plan ahead. If you like to "brown bag" your lunch, prepare a week's worth of lunches on the weekend, put them in the fridge ready to go. Plan quick and easy dinners during the week - especially if you work all day. There are plenty of delicious low carb meals that can be on the table within 30 minutes of beginning preparation. You can also plan to cook a bit extra and use the leftovers as lunch the next day. Once you get the hang of it, eating this way becomes EASY.

* If you get stuck, do something different

Plateaus are frustrating as hell. They happen on all diets and low-carb diets are no exception. There are many things you can try but I have found that one of the more effective plateau busters is to eat something different (i.e. high carb) for a meal or a day then jump right back on the low-carb wagon.

* Don't kick yourself for "cheating"

So you went to that party and nibbled on too many high-carb goodies that you've been SO good about avoiding, eh? FORGET ABOUT IT! Nobody is perfect and we ALL have weak moments. Jump right back on the low-carb wagon the next meal. You should NEVER let one indiscretion lead you back to a lifetime of destructive eating. In fact, having an occasional planned "cheat" can be psychologically beneficial as long as you don't do it too often. Sure, your weight loss will be slowed but so what? You are in it for the long haul. And if you've been stuck in a plateau, you just might find that you'll break out of it.

* Keep track of how you are doing

For many people it helps to keep track of how they are doing. It can be as simple as keeping track of your weight on a chart next to your scale. For some, it also helps to keep a food log - especially during a dreaded plateau.

BaileyWS
Wed, Jan-16-02, 19:35
John, thanks for the hints ...

I'm wondering about breaking a plateau by eating higher carb for a while ... I've noticed that I often begin moving again just when I think I've blown it ... eating a high carb meal or having a higher carb day. I go out of ketosis, but I lose the weight. Assuming, of course, that I go right back.

I overdid it at Christmas ... and I remained steady. I went back on induction when I returned and it started slipping right back down. Over Thanksgiving I thought for sure I had blown it ... but when I returned I found that I had actually lost weight when I was gone.

It's making me think that generally a little higher carb count may do me some good. But then I think this way of thinking could be really dangerous.

It's being addicted to the stuff that makes me really nervous ... it's easier, in some ways, to just refuse all carbs ... to eat them in a controlled way ... well that's hard. Any thoughts?

BTW, I hit 237 this week ... a marker, in that I have now lost 50 pounds. That's a boost. And I think I have just about given up the 240 mark ... I hope I never see that back on the scale.

dissolved
Wed, Jan-16-02, 19:52
I'm in.....I've been struggling to see 199lbs for a few years now (WW dropout) I know that this New WOL for me is going to be the way.....I cant wait to get to 199!

So count me in!

:yay: :hyper: :bhug: :wiggle: :clap: :there:

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-16-02, 20:05
welcome disolved...that's a cool name....does that mean you're disolving while losing?

Well everyone...I weighed in last night...I lost 1.25 pounds this week...Not as fast as I see others losing...but a loss is a loss is a loss....

Hope everyone is doing well.

John2001
Wed, Jan-16-02, 20:35
Just put the carbs out of your mind. Accually for me, I find myself not eating more often :eek: which we all know is bad for this WOL. I find myself still thinking, if I don't eat as much, I'll loose faster. I know during last summer, I lost faster, than on any diet before and I was eating twice as much food then, than before I found this WOL. Silly, silly me.

I had a 7-8 week stall, not weight or measurement loss, in the fall. I tryed everything, eating less, eating more, and more exercise. Nothing helped. Just stuck it out. Even tryed eating a little higher carb foods to kick the body in the butt. Don't know if it helped, but finally broke the stall. The only thing I can say is, give it a try for a day or two. (higher carb foods) Now don't go crazy ;) with it. I probably had 40-50 carbs a day for a day or two. I'm currently back to the induction 20-carbs or less a day.
I really want to get to goal, then do the maintainance and slowly start adding carbs till I find my personal level I can maintain my weight at.

It's all trial and .....fix it again. ;)

Cheers, John
PS: My computer is having "issues" with the web 2-night, so I hope this posts.

John2001
Wed, Jan-16-02, 21:27
" It's being addicted to the stuff that makes me really nervous ... it's easier, in some ways, to just refuse all carbs ... to eat them in a controlled way ... well that's hard. Any thoughts? "

I've just put the thought of high carb foods right out of my mind. That's not food that I eat anymore. If I choose to eat that way again, I will gain back all the weight I lost and be unhappy with my life again. That way, theres no reason, no excuse for myself, except if I do it to myself. We've found a WOL, a way to eat, that works. I just won't blow this by eating, what I call simply...... "fuel" for the body. To me now, food is nothing more than fuel. ;)

Just put a simalar type of thought in your head, what ever works for you personally, and make it stick.

Hope I was of some help to you,
Cheers, John

PS: I was thinking of doing the CKD plan after reaching goal weight, but the idea of eating high-carb on the weekends and LC during the week makes me scared. I don't think I could do it. So I can understand your thoughts on your comments.

groovygirl
Thu, Jan-17-02, 02:01
Hi 199'ers :wave:

Congrats to all who are posting their losses: :thup:
Cinnamom, Cheryl and Wendy (wooo hooo on those 50lbs!!!!!!)

John:
Excellent hints. Its always good to review them. Thanks bunches. :heart:

Welcome Cindyboo and Dissolved (Happy Belated Birthday to you!!)

Lets see some stat changes, gang!!

John2001
Sun, Jan-20-02, 12:59
Weighed in today, after 3-4 weeks, and the jeans getting loose again, I had to look and find out.

208-lbs ! :roll: Less than 10 to go.

" T minus " 10, . . . 9, . . . . . . .

I, again, am thinking my final goal weight, should be lower. Maybe 190-185??
Standing 6-ft 1-inch and with 9-lbs to goal, I think unless the love handles are 4-1/2 lbs each, I'll need to lose more.

Anybody else around this height and weight have any words of wisdom for me?
In regards to love handles or reduction of, that is. I really wanted them to disappear first. I want to be comfortable with taking off my shirt in the summer for the first time in my life.

Cheers, John

City Gent
Sun, Jan-20-02, 13:26
John,

what excercise do you do?

Using an "Ab Curler" type thing, if you target the muscles under the love handles you might just tighten them up which should "pull you in" a bit.

hope this helps, and Congratulations! Go on, drop the target to 185, whats a few more lbs after the heap you've already lost?!!

All the best,

Steve

groovygirl
Sun, Jan-20-02, 13:50
Fantastic work, John!

Those 9 pounds will be history before you know it!

I'm getting my pom poms ready......drum roll please......

John2001
Sun, Jan-20-02, 14:12
Citygent, I was doing basic crunches and sit-up's but got a cold and after coughing sooo much, just couldn't do any, Stomach hurt soo bad from coughing but it's almost gone now. I don't have any gizmo type equipment, always heard good and bad info about so many of them, didn't know if any are worth the money. Do you know of a good one, that targets the mid-section well?

------------------------------------------------
groovygirl, you'll be the first "chearleader" that chears me on, in any game! ;)
Cheer us all on in the game of life!! WOL that is! :roll:

Cheers all, John

cori
Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:48
I just started yesterday on Induction, but 199 is one of those numbers in my dreams. So count me in! Of course I have 34 lbs. to go, but hey!

John - A mag I read did some scientific testing on which exercise best engage your abs or some such. Number one was the bicycle! Plus it works your obliques (love handles) so it should be perfect for you!

Bicycle Crunches
Lie on your back, with your hands behind your head. Use a bicycle-pedaling motion to crunch your left knee to your right elbow; then alternate sides.

Good Luck!

Ruth
Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:51
Well, one week of Body for Life training, and I've got results.
Up 1 lb on the scale, but the measurements make up for that. I'm doing my happy dance :dazzle:

Bust: +.5 inch
Ribcage: - .75 inch
Waist: - 1.5 inches
Hips: - 1 inch
Thighs: +.25 inch, but my quads have been sore & may be inflamed :(
Calves: - .5 inch
Arms: -.5 inch

I've been very tired and sore this week, but it's worth it! I'm not 100% comfortable with what I'm doing, but expect that within 1 or 2 weeks I'll be used to 6 small meals, not to mention the alarm going off at 5:40 AM and the sore muscles.

How is everyone else doing? Please report in :)

Cheryl R
Mon, Jan-21-02, 00:03
JOHN...You are doing so awesome...looks like you will be the 1st to cross that 199 finish line....
Just think how good you'll feel this summer....I would wait until you cross that finish line....then draw another one...I wouldn't go below 185 if I was you....but that's just me talking...how about when you get to 199...set a 5 pound goal...see how that feels before you decide on another 5 pounds...just a thought.

Check this group out...we should have a few people crossing the finish line in February and March....

How encouraging is that???? :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:sunny: I'm looking forward to the sunny weather here in California....I want to get outdoors more....

pinkcaddy
Mon, Jan-21-02, 10:23
Congratulations!!! I am so proud of each of you! Just reading this keeps me motivated!!! Keep up the great work, we are an awesome team!!!

cyndiboo
Mon, Jan-21-02, 11:16
I love to read these posts, it helps me to focus on the fact that I am not in this alone. I am not the only one trying to find my life and begin to really live again. WooHoo!

John you are very inspiring, great tips too. Keep up the great work. Keep on posting, you are inspiring.

I am looking forward to my goal weight, I can almost taste it. LOL I try to walk on my treadmill everyday, and I have handweights. I need to look up the information about how long I should walk and how many reps. I should do.

I planned on buying a tape measure this weekend and completely forgot!!! I will try to pick one up sometime this week, I know I am shrinking but I would like to SEE those numbers go down.

For those of you that know my children had the flu, they are still not well. I had to take them to the ER Saturday night, we were there for 4 hours. My son now has a double ear infection, and one of his tubes has fallen out. My daughter has pharyngitis. This has been a very long past 7 days and counting but I have not given in to the stress.

Keep on keeping on!! I am going to weigh in the morning, tomorrow will be the start of day 21 for me. YES!!! I am so phsyched.

Hope you all have a great week, back to college for me tomorrow, and the results on my first Algebra test of the year. I hope I did as well as I think I did. LOL

Think thin, Cyndiboo

Marieaa
Mon, Jan-21-02, 11:59
:dazzle: Way to go Cyndiboo :thup: Yes when stressed out we sure can eat. Hope your Kids get well soon :roll: And your going to do good on your test, Can just feel that. So have a good day :p and keep smiling

pinkcaddy
Mon, Jan-21-02, 12:11
You are doing great Cindyboo, just keep on keeping on. You can do it! I just have the feeling you are very strong!

John2001
Mon, Jan-21-02, 14:07
Welcome to the group. Glad you found us. Keep up the good work, we will all get there together, one by one. *I'll try the bike crunches.

------------------------------------------
Does anybody own any type of "ab" equipment?
Looking for one that works and isn't a bizzillion dollars.

I've heard of so many, one of they has to work good.

-------------------------------------------

Keep up the good work gang, were all doing great!
:D :D :D

Cheers, John

City Gent
Mon, Jan-21-02, 15:40
I got mine at Lillywhites in Leeds, £20 or £30 i think.

Dont know what make it is, but its very basic. Its just technique i think, and dont go mad, cos although you may be able to DO 30 or 40 at your first go, you will not be able to bend for 2 days!!!

I'm on day 15, and have lost 9.5 lbs - well pleased!!

groovygirl
Wed, Jan-23-02, 15:24
Hey John, I'll cheer you on anytime....you are working so hard and seeing results. Thank you for being such an outstanding source of inspiration for me (and others here, I'm sure). :rheart:

Welcome Cori, to this wonderful gang of losers! :angel:

Ruth: You are doing great on BFL! Good looking measurements which I'm sure all will be in the 'minus' zone soon. Just remember, you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. Also, this type of exercise is new to you, no? People tend to retain water when first exercising as a means to rebuild the muscles that have not been 'worked' in a while. That may be the cause of your gain. Keep it up and you will see a difference. Yay Ruth! :cheer:

Cheryl and pinkcaddy - you two are doing fantastic. Keep checking in and doing what you are doing. This group wouldn't be same without you! :bhug:

Cindyboo: Hope your kids are feeling better. Take care of yourself too. Hurray for you and your treadmill! And congrats on 21 days of this WOE. Now go and buy that measuring tape!!
:D

Thanks for stopping by Marieaa! Come and visit us anytime! :p

Steve: WooHoo on the 9.5 lbs!!!!! :yay: Keep up the absolutely FANTASTIC work!

groovygirl
Fri, Jan-25-02, 01:40
Hey!

Where is everyone? (Where is everyone?)

I'm hearing an echo in this forum....

:confused:

John2001
Fri, Jan-25-02, 03:59
Went clothes shopping tonight. The 38's were getting too lose. The belt wasn't helping anymore.

Bought and tryed on 36's and they fit!
There a little snug but at least I won't have to wear the belt for a while.

Recap: June 2001 : pants waist size 46
January 2002 : pants waist size 36

How is everybody doing?

Let's hear some noise!!!

:hyper:

sunsight13
Fri, Jan-25-02, 05:26
I am still here and heading for 199. I have been discouraged because I have not seen any lose in so long. But I am rooting for you guys and myself and check in to see what is happening daily.

The whoosh fairy thread has been fun and I am definitely in need of a visit.

Susan

Marieaa
Fri, Jan-25-02, 10:56
Originally posted by John2001
Went clothes shopping tonight. The 38's were getting too lose. The belt wasn't helping anymore.

Bought and tryed on 36's and they fit!
There a little snug but at least I won't have to wear the belt for a while.

Recap: June 2001 : pants waist size 46
January 2002 : pants waist size 36

How is everybody doing?

Let's hear some noise!!!

:hyper: Need your old belt. just email it to me, lol That s a good sign your loseing,

cyndiboo
Fri, Jan-25-02, 15:17
We are all doing such a GREAT job!! :clap: We all deserve a pat on the back.

Hope everyone has had a super week. Mine has been pretty good, I made it through my third week of college!! :cheer:

Today is my son Samuel's 2nd birthday. :bday: Me and my husband are having low carb cake while everyone else will be eating the fattening kind. :help: Just kidding, I know we will be strong enough to resist, we have each other.

Keep up the good work, think thin and plan your next clothing purchase, in a smaller size. I am planning on buying some real blue jeans, you know like Levis. I have been wearing stretch jeans for so long now I can't wait :roll:

The weather is supposed to great this weekend :sunny: so we will try to be outside a lot.

Thinking thin and smiling :wiggle: :wave:

Cyndiboo

Marieaa
Fri, Jan-25-02, 17:06
Originally posted by cyndiboo
We are all doing such a GREAT job!! :clap: We all deserve a pat on the back.

Hope everyone has had a super week. Mine has been pretty good, I made it through my third week of college!! :cheer:

Today is my son Samuel's 2nd birthday. :bday: Me and my husband are having low carb cake while everyone else will be eating the fattening kind. :help: Just kidding, I know we will be strong enough to resist, we have each other.

Keep up the good work, think thin and plan your next clothing purchase, in a smaller size. I am planning on buying some real blue jeans, you know like Levis. I have been wearing stretch jeans for so long now I can't wait :roll:

The weather is supposed to great this weekend :sunny: so we will try to be outside a lot.

Thinking thin and smiling :wiggle: :wave:

Cyndiboo Your up beat thats good, :daze: Happy to hear schools going good for you, and Happy Birthday to your young Man , :Party: :Party:

mystery2u
Sat, Jan-26-02, 10:24
Count down to 199 !

I haven't seen 199 in so many years I can't imagine getting out of the two hundreds.

Well, I'm here and I'm going to do it. This weight is killing me. Swelling ankles, backache, slow, etc. But since LC I've been feeling great.

I know I can't continue this pace of weight loss ( 6 days induction). It's certainly a motivator.

231 now - looking down the long tunnel for 199, I'll get there!!

John2001
Sat, Jan-26-02, 12:23
WTG! Mystery2u on your loss!

This plan has so many good points and I'm with you on how amazing it is to eat all these foods and lose weight.

The weight will go if you stick with it and stay true to the plan. I never thought that I would lose so much, in such a short amount of time in my life. The last time I was around 200-lbs, was probably middle school.

I've been doing this WOL since June of 2001, now being Jan 2002 I've lost close to 100-lbs and feel fantastic. No more back pain, I can move better, and feel so much better in general then I did for years.

Stay with us, check out all these wonderful peoples posts and ask as many questions as you like. This is a great site.

Good luck in your LC journey.

Cheers, John

Cheryl R
Sat, Jan-26-02, 16:28
I'm still here...I'm just on the mends from a sinus and ear infection...but my cold sores won't go away...and they hurt...and they burn.

I will get back on track....I felt good yesterday...then I did too much..so I'm burnt out...I will get a good nights sleep tonight...

then as someone else said it "WOOOSH"

BaileyWS
Sat, Jan-26-02, 17:51
Good to see some action on this thread again ...

I think the cold season is here ... everyone in my household is sick with the same thing. I'm feeling better today, though, so that's a good sign -- no more sore throat, and my voice was only affected yesterday, and no more coughing today either.

I haven't been excercising for a few days now ... Wednesday I had an early meeting (7:00 PM) which is usually my excersise time ... Thursday I was away all day ... and Friday was the height of my cold ...

So next week, I'll get back into the swing of things.

I'm still stalled at that same place I've been weighing in at 236-242 now for weeks and weeks and weeks ... it will just not budge.

I'm in ketosis ... I'm doing the same stuff ... I will just have to tighten up some, I guess.

It's a very busy time, now, for me ... now until Easter is extra busy at work ... on top of that I have surgery in less than 2 weeks ... and after Easter I'm going to be away for four weeks ...

So I'm going to have to find a way to keep this woe while dealing with the regular irregularities of life.

I check in the forums daily ... but I find I'm not writing as frequently ... because of time and the big stall ...

fitat41
Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:46
I would like to be a member of the countdown to 199 club....this is going to be my year also. we are planning a trip to the beach in may....need some cheers here. thanks

fitat41
Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:52
:cheer: feels good when you finally so no to the "wrong food" and you feel like you are in controll for the first time... Good luck in school. I went back after I had kids they were 10 & 11. best thing I ever did..My husband went back after I and we work together, both are RNs. :thup: did you get your jeans yet?

sunsight13
Sun, Jan-27-02, 04:10
Hi guys,

It seems like everyone is hanging in there and heading downward, even the slowly but surely ones.

Bailey, even though you are in ketosis, have you been experimenting with foods. I have been adding and subtracting foods and I think I am seeing a loss again. Will let you know tomorrow (has to be three days before I report it). I took out all but an ounce of hard cheese, all processed meat (there went the bacon) and fatty meats. I added 1/2 avocado every morning, found that Bumble Bee makes canned smoked salmon and mash that up with 3 oz cream cheese for lunch, and have added an extra vegie and 1/2 cup berries. If I subtract the fiber, I am still under 20 grams carbs a day. Also lowered calorie count to 1800-1900. I had to play around with this for about three weeks before I started to see a loss. So you might want to play with your diet also to see what works for you.

I am finding it is not as simple as the books lead you to believe - just keep in ketosis and the pounds will melt away. That may work for some but for me it is about what I eat also.

I want to join that 190s club in March. That is my goal! So happy LCing and I will check back soon. You all are my motivators. Thanks - Susan

Cheryl R
Sun, Jan-27-02, 22:40
I know what you mean sunsight...I stayed in ketosis for 3 weeks and only lost about 2 and 1/2 pounds in that 3 weeks.
I was losing slow...but now that I've totally blown it for the last several days...I know what else I liked about low c'bing...
It was how I felt...I was losing slow...but I was losing...and I felt so good. I am just getting over a bad cold...and fever blisters...but I'm so tired...more tired than just from the cold...and my stomach has been bothering me. I didn't have any stomach problems when I was low c'bing. That is enough reason for me to get it going again...even if I lose slow...it's worth it for how I feel when I'm doing it.

Marieaa
Sun, Jan-27-02, 23:08
:thup: Yes we all got to look at what we are eating and change things around till we see that it is right for us, :rolleyes: I find with Dr Atkins , My Arthritis is just fine, No pain in the hips. I can even use my Treadmill. :p I eat mostly meat just a little luttuce . duck eggs, cooked with swiss cheese. :thup: cooked a steak for lunch . and a whole chicken for supper which I have not eaten yet. was full on the steak, will eat tomorrow. I live alone so much better for me. cook for only me not a family which has to be so much harder. :rolleyes: Keep on Trucking :wave:

Cheryl R
Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:03
I have to learn to eat more meat. I still eat a lot of vegtables...eggs and cheese. I went 10 years without eating red meat per say...I wasn't a vegatarian or anything...I just rarely ate red meat...becasue I believed it was bad for me. I ate lots of chicken, turkey and loaded up on pasta.
I am still struggling with this woe...mostly finding easy to fix meals.

sunsight13
Tue, Jan-29-02, 09:52
Just wanted to share that I officially lost those three pounds - three days at 210 - so changed my stats. It sure has been a battle to find what worked for me but now I am enjoying eating again because I have found things I like that don't seem to put me in a stall. Well, only 11 lbs more to 199. I hope to attain that before I go back to the States in March for two weeks. It would be nice to feel good at the Training I will be attending.

So keep on truckin' and we'll all get there. Susan

HeyCE
Tue, Jan-29-02, 12:59
I'd also like to join in with a group. My "over 200" lbs. were gained sometime last year--too much eating out, I think. No, I know! I love Mexican food and live in the heart of some of the best restaurants around.

I've been posting in a journal since December 25th, the day I started--see HeyCE's Haven if you'd like (I love visitors!). It's been a pretty wild ride due to my husband's heart surgery (he is 37).

Thanks for letting me join! I can hardly believe how easy this has been to get down to 204--now to really get going and I've learned already that support is the key.

Stormy
Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:21
Would like to join this Countdown to 199 forum.

I haven't seen 199 in thirty YEARS!

Closest I came was 200 when I was on Jenny Craig about 7 or 8 years ago. That was an experience -- $7.00 for a TV dinner that tasted like crap! I had to stop going because I couldn't afford the food any longer -- and besides, I was always HUNGRY!

I love this WOL and this WOE -- wish I had found this years ago.

But I'm hopeful that 2002 will see me break that 200 pound barrier at last!

I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this forum. You've all done so well you are an inspiration!

sunsight13
Tue, Jan-29-02, 23:56
Welcome, HayCE & Stormy, :wave:

This is one of my favorite threads because we are all striving for the same goal and our progress is amazing. It is wonderful to see what we have accomplished so far and this is keeping us motivated and on track. Look forward to seeing you succeed on this leg of your journey. 199 is definitely achievable!

Good luck - Susan :cheer:

Librarian
Wed, Jan-30-02, 00:34
Susan,

I'm signing up to countdown with you. Your stats say 210 - that's exactly where I am. I haven't seen 199 for about five years. But I will! I will!

Carolyn

pinkcaddy
Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:20
Hello everyone. I have been out of town on business but I missed this forum!!! You are all doing so great. I have been stalled for a month , not heavier, not lighter. Think I just need more exercise (and more hours in the day)

sunsight13
Wed, Jan-30-02, 11:28
Hey Carolyn, :wave: I am more then ready. I am glad to have someone to countdown with! I had been at this start weight for about three years and don't want to do it anymore. Today was a major carb day but am really committed and won't wander again for awhile. I have felt so much better and have found foods that I like that work for me. So we'll truck on together till we see those 190s. I will go look for your journal and see what's up with you.

Susan

Cheryl R
Wed, Jan-30-02, 18:22
Welcome Hayce and Stormy
This is a great group...some people in the group are getting close to 199....but some (like me) :confused: have a long way to go.

I got a new book to day (borrowed) called lean for life...had anyone read it yet/????

John2001
Thu, Jan-31-02, 21:20
Weighed in tonight, was at mom's house for her birthday. 204-205lbs. For some reason I couldn't get a consistant number, so I'm calling it 204.5lbs.

My sister was there too and weighed in on mom's scale. She got 156lbs, then she says, her (sis's) scale has said 150-151 for days and mom's is off by 5-lbs. Humm.... who's is correct. I'll have to check myself on another scale to conferm readings. I could be there at 199-200!

Also, on a side note. I've got a "date" for the first time in like ....... ahhh hemm.... 4-years. (if you've read my journal, starting a relationship is #3 on my list of goals for 2002) So needless to say, I'm a little nervous. I know, just gotta take it slow. Think positive John

Anyway, I see everybody is doing good as usual. Let's hear some noise in this thread.

Hope all is well with all.

Cheers, John

PS: Cheryl R, I havn't read that book.

sunsight13
Fri, Feb-01-02, 00:49
Congrats, John!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your an inspiration for all of us to keep on going and to take risk. It is easier to be fat and not think of dating. Weight is such a safe barrier to relationships and taking risk that often we just decide for that comfort zone. But not you!!! You did it. Got to your goal weight (or very close) and starting out on a new adventure.

Thanks for sharing with us here in the Countdown to 199. Have you put your info under Success Stories?

Have a great time on your date, even if it is not the beginning of something long term, at least it can be fun.

Susan

BaileyWS
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:07
It's been great reading all of your posts while I was sitting in a depressing plataeu ... I kept checking in, but didn't have the energy to write ...

Congrats John ... and enjoy yourself ...

Susan ... I love your signature quote ... really emphazises diving in and giving it your all.

Good news ... I left my plataue and hit a new low this morning -- 233! So I'm on my way.

Thanks all, for the support.

John2001
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:47
Good job BaileyWS, breaking thru the stall!

I've found that when you stall for a while, a few weeks to 7-8 weeks, that the weight your at, during that stall is a weight you were at once, for a long time.

That is, on the gaining side. The couple - few times I really stalled were at weights I had maintained for a year or two, then of course, gained again. On the way down, it's like the body remembers that weight and stops losing for a while. (set point ) and no matter what I did, eating / exercising, I just had to wait it out. The body finally gives in and let's you lose again.
The body is a funny thing.

Susan : Thanks for the kind words. Funny, I never considered myself of a success story! I remember reading so many posts and seeing so many people with 80-90% loses and thinking wow, can't wait to get there! Now I'm almost there. Maybe, once I get there and I am happy, I write up a story for that thread.

Thanks again and everybody keep up the good work!

Cheers, John

BaileyWS
Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:14
Good job BaileyWS, breaking thru the stall!

I've found that when you stall for a while, a few weeks to 7-8 weeks, that the weight your at, during that stall is a weight you were at once, for a long time.

Thanks John, it's true. I was arond the 240 mark for a very very long time on the way up. It was also my "high" point before a year of losing about 15 years ago -- I got down to 165 then -- but quickly put it back on, stopped at the 240 mark again on the way up ... but after quite a few years (and a 35th birthday) started to climb even higher ... finally surpassing the 290 mark on my bathroom scale. All in all, I was at 240 +/- 5 pounds for over 10 years of my adult life. That's why it is so important for me to break through ... I did break through it the beginning of December ... down as far as 238, 237 ... but always hovering ... back to 242 (ugh). I'm not convinced yet I'm past the 240 mark for good on the scale ... but seeing a significant drop down to 233(!) ... well, I have hope again.

Thanks,

pinkcaddy
Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:42
Congrats everyone.... it is so great to break through a stall and John.... going on a date. I remember my first post divorce date.... very scary, dry mouth, shaky knees, but then it's fine. Just remember that you have grown so much emotionally on this journey it may take a while to find someone who values taking care of your mind and body like you do. Just have fun a long the way and eventually you will find someone who you will want a relationship with. I did, and believe me it was worth the wait.

Weigh to go!!!! I am still stalled, starting to slack off a little but still under control. Had a bit of a crises yesterday. Starthed the oven on fire at my mother in laws and while cleaning up ate a box of chocolates without even realizing it. Scary stuff. (The chocolate I mean.) Today will be some withdrawal but I will be ok and put it behind me.

Have a great day everyone.

:roll:

fitat41
Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:40
Sounds like everyone is having a great week. I lost 4 lbs this week. keep up the good work everyone
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
talk to you soon.
:wave: fitat41

John2001
Sun, Feb-03-02, 08:17
Hello all,

Something I noticed the last couple of days. I know how most report high energy levels, while on this WOL but I have been at one of the highest energy levels ever recently.

I start my day with my usual morning carbolite shake. On Saturday's I usually don't eat lunch till mid-afternoon(work until 1-2pm and don't stop for a break until then) but, this Saturday, my business partner, ordered take-out, this time remembering, I don't/won't eat pizza. He ordered chicken wings. So it was great to take a coupe of minutes to eat, was getting hungry.

Now, let's go back to Friday night, went out and eat chicken wings.
Saturday night, go to my buddy's house and ordered, what else but, chicken wings and a side of sauage.

I've never eat chicken wings, 3-meals in a row, with the exception of breakfast ever and noticed mind blowing energy. You couldn't stop me if you tryed.
Has anyone ever noticed a very high energy level after eating one type of food like this???

Just curious, but I'm willing to try this again. Even today, Sunday morning, I usually sleep in a little, being my only day off to do so. I woke up after my usual 5-6 hours of sleep and feel like my usual self, awake and aware.

Just wondering. :daze:

Cheers, John

Stormy
Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:01
Hey all!

Three full weeks of CALP gone -- along with 8.4 pounds. I'm happy to report that I basically have no more cravings for sugary, starchy type foods. Both my DH and I have gotten into a routine for this WOL and we are both benefitting. He has a LOT less to lose than I do -- basically only about 20 - 25 pounds. He's lost 8 pounds so far. I know that men usually lose a lot faster than women do, but he's not following the program as strictly as I am.

I spent some time working out a projected date to meet my "mini-goal" of 199 pounds. Assuming that I lose 1.75 pounds per week, I will be at 199 on August 16th, 2002. I figured that 1.75 pounds per week was a reasonable expectation. Right now, after only three weeks, I'm "ahead of schedule" by a little more than three pounds. Since I know I can expect to have the occasional stalls, every pound that I'm ahead now will help balance out the weeks that I don't lose as much as I've projected. (I've also got a week's vacation the first week in May. I'm going to do my damnedest to stay on plan, but I KNOW it will be more difficult because 1. I'll be away from home, 2. I'll be eating out a LOT, and 3. I'll be vacationing with family and friends who will want to celebrate my and my SIL's birthdays that fall during that week.) I think if I can stay steady that week, I'll consider that a plus. Since I'm going to be spending 6 days tramping through the theme parks in Orlando, I know it will also be more difficult to get in enough WATER! But I'm sure going to try! (Though I may have a wee taste of chocolate cake on my birthday!)

Anyway, just wanted to say hey to everyone and find out how everyone is doing!

BaileyWS
Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:44
John ... I can relate ... not so much with the energy level, but with the desire for chicken wings!

My only guess is that since I've given up sugar and carbs, I'm craving the spices. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that very spicy food can stimulate the same endorphins in the brain that sugar and hugs can ...

So maybe it's those endorphins that are giving you an energy boost as well ... do you like your wings hot, very hot, or suicidal? I've moved from medium to hot over the past couple of months and now I'm looking to move up to very hot ...

Just a thought

John2001
Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:22
Hi BaileyWS,

I don't care for very "hot" wings myself. Always liked them plain to mild personally but I have noticed I do like to spice other foods up a little more than I did before.

It could also be a rush of thoughts and emotions within me personally. Recently went out on a date for the first time in like 4-years. Can't really believe it's the full cause, but could be adding to it?

Just to experiment with the chicken, for the super bowl, we had wings, my friends and I, for dinner tonight. Still feel good, but not as hyped up as I was.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers, John

BaileyWS
Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:33
John,

Could very well be the excitment of your first date ... yup ... I'm willing to bet on it! How did it go?

Did y'all go out and eat chicken wings? :D

Did it meet your expectations?

John2001
Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:52
Well....... I'm not sure really. I haven't been "out" in a long time and am a little rusty when it comes to starting relationships, not that I was ever very good at having one before.

Part of it is probably because I was never comfortable with myself (weight wise) and was always uneasy around women because of this.

I think it went ok. We have known each other for the better part of a year, she was always nice to me, even before I lost a lot of weight. So she get's a high mark for that, in my mind. I think there was a spark, even back then, but of course, I never acted on it because of my size.

She has been a customer, at my place of business. That's how we met. Always gave her a ride back to her work, when she dropped her car off for repairs and liked the music I had on in my truck during the ride. So, once I built up the confidence, I made a few music cd's for her and dropped them by her work for the last few weeks.
Funny, the morning I had finally decided to do the "asking out" part, she called and asked me! :rolleyes:

We went and shot pool, grabbed a quick bite to eat (chicken wings) and talked. Turns out she doesn't drink, like myself, and said she goes to meetings, twice a week, for an eating disorder. Not sure what that is about, she's in good shape, not anerexic or over weight.
But anyway, I asked for the second date and she agreed and I gave her roses at the end of the night. I'm the hopeless romantic type, or should I say, hopeful. Tryed to make plans for during the weekend but she had plans with her friends, so I'll have to wait a little longer to see what happens. (
I'm the impatient type when it comes to women) Want to know if this is going to workout. Augh!!! the waiting! :rolleyes:

So as far as meeting expectations, I don't know. She seems like a quiet type of gal and not a wild partying type, like myself. So I hope to see her again and try to make this work. I like the simply, quiet, average looking type of gal. Never cared for those wild women types.

After talking I find we have similar interests on many things. Both like camping, pool, bowling, some of the same movies, music, don't drink, and both of us have a problem with food, in some way.

Guess I'll just have to wait. I need to relax a little and keep this off my mind. I've never had a relationship longer than 2-6 months and there's been large gaps in between them.

I've focused on career mostly in between these times and am now a business owner, had saved some money, and have good friends, so the only things left are losing the weight, the relationship, and quitting smoking.

Wow did I go on for a while here! Anyway, I feel better getting this off my mind. You see the problems losing weight causes!!! :daze: lol

Thanks for listening to silly old me.

John

sunsight13
Mon, Feb-04-02, 03:43
Hey John, Relationships of any type are hard for many of us. While we are ready to take risk in many areas (starting your own business) it seems hardest in relationships for some reason. I applaude your willingness to do so and then to be open about it. Give yourself the old pat on the back just for going out and having a nice evening, even if it doesn't lead anywhere. Who knows what the future holds.

Also wanted to report 2 more pounds gone. Getting closer to that 199.

Susan

BaileyWS
Mon, Feb-04-02, 08:35
Susan, congrats on two more pounds! You ARE getting close now, aren't you?

John, glad to hear you had a good time on your date. I have no words of advice since I don't think I've ever been in the dating scene ... Got married when I was 18 ... it's been 23 happy years now.

I would imagine, though, that one can overanalyze a relationship ... I echo Susan's advice ... don't get too concerned yet about where it's going ... enjoy the now.

Looks like my loss to 233 is real and I really have given up the 240 mark for good ... yeah!

Take Care,

John2001
Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:13
Thanks to you both for your advice!

Congrat's to both of you on your losses too!

WTG!!! :thup:

Cheers, John

sunsight13
Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:37
Hey Bailey, WTG :cheer: You are about where I started so it shouldn't be too long before you too are nearing that 199 mark. I didn't ever think I would see it and now it seems attainable. What you have lost already is remarkable. Keep on LCing.

Susan

John2001
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:55
Humm, I weighed in again the other day. Augh! Said 210!!! Gained 4-5 lbs. I'm thinking it might have been water weight or something, cause the 36's (jeans) just got a little more comfortable. So I'm gonna wait a few days and check again.
Really don't think I gained 4-5 lbs in approx 3-4 days. Have not varied from my routine of eating habits so I think it was a fluke reading.

I've adding a few amino acids to my plan. L-Tyrosine and L-Arginine, in capsule form. Take one of each in the morning. Both are 500-mg. Also, added into my morning breakfast shake mix a half a scoop of L-Glutamine (2.5 - 3.5g) because of the half scoop.

The Glutamine is for muscle recovery, increases blood circulation and a little detoxification of the body's tissue too.

I am getting ready for my workout schedule that will be getting started soon. Doing some basic workout exercises now, to build a little strength in the muscles and get the proper movement form again. Once I really get into it again, will be upping to the full suggested servings.

Cheers all, hope everybody is doing well!
John

BaileyWS
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:14
John,

I wouldn't worry too much about the apparent weight gain; it's probably water or something ... fluctuation is part of the game ... especially as you near your goal.

I haven't been on a scale in a few days ... been in the hospital for thyroid surgery. Now they are trying to stabilize my parathyroid glands and calcium levels. Hopefully, if the noontime blood test comes out near normal, I can go home this afternoon.

Needless to say, hospitals are not able to deal with a low-carb diet. Everything here is high carb, low-fat ... yuck.

But then, I'm more interested in healing after the surgery right now than loosing weight ... though, I have to admit ... I really miss my woe.

John2001
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:34
OMG, trip to the hospital! Augh, I hate hospitals. Glad to see your feeling well.

Not up on the parathyriod condition, but sorry to hear of this. You've got to be bored just sitting there. I hope you get out soon!

To bad about the high carb / low fat food. That's the first time I've heard a conplaint about hospital food, in reguards to it being bad, with high carb being the complaint! ;) Not just hospital food is bad! :rolleyes:

Hope you get out of there soon!

Cheers, John

PS: Thanks for the comments.

Ruth
Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:54
I've adding a few amino acids to my plan. L-Tyrosine and L-Arginine, in capsule form. Take one of each in the morning. Both are 500-mg. Also, added into my morning breakfast shake mix a half a scoop of L-Glutamine (2.5 - 3.5g) because of the half scoop.

The Glutamine is for muscle recovery, increases blood circulation and a little detoxification of the body's tissue too.

I am getting ready for my workout schedule that will be getting started soon. Doing some basic workout exercises now, to build a little strength in the muscles and get the proper movement form again. Once I really get into it again, will be upping to the full suggested servings.

Cheers all, hope everybody is doing well!
John

Hi John,

You're doing great, almost at goal, WTG!

A bit of info: L-glutamine will cause the muscles to retain more water, I'm not sure about other amino acids affect on water retention. So If your scale went up, its water & I guess when we work out strenuously our muscles need more water. You may not lose the water weight, but as you build muscle your body will burn more fat.

Cinnamom
Fri, Feb-08-02, 20:45
Hi everyone!
Don't want to just lurk, I think y'all are doing great! Wendy, I hope everything went O.K. and you're out of the hospital. I was in an Adventist hospital years ago, and they served vegetarian meals. I couldn't wait to get out!

John, congrats on your losses. Don't worry about the flucuation. Probably water weight like you say.

My weight loss really slowed after induction. I am losing about a pound a week. There are some long stalls, too. But I'm getting closer to the magic 199, and I really feel great.

Good to read all your posts. It really keeps me goin!

John2001
Fri, Feb-08-02, 22:53
I did not know that about L-glutamine and water retention. I was wondering why I wasn't heading for the bathroom as often. With the amount of water I drink, it's usually like 10 times a day. Recently noticed it's more like 5- 8 times now. Now this makes sense.
Thanks for the info!

Cheers, John

Marieaa
Fri, Feb-08-02, 23:48
Well....... I'm not sure really. I haven't been "out" in a long time and am a little rusty when it comes to starting relationships, not that I was ever very good at having one before.

Part of it is probably because I was never comfortable with myself (weight wise) and was always uneasy around women because of this.

I think it went ok. We have known each other for the better part of a year, she was always nice to me, even before I lost a lot of weight. So she get's a high mark for that, in my mind. I think there was a spark, even back then, but of course, I never acted on it because of my size.

She has been a customer, at my place of business. That's how we met. Always gave her a ride back to her work, when she dropped her car off for repairs and liked the music I had on in my truck during the ride. So, once I built up the confidence, I made a few music cd's for her and dropped them by her work for the last few weeks.
Funny, the morning I had finally decided to do the "asking out" part, she called and asked me! :rolleyes:

We went and shot pool, grabbed a quick bite to eat (chicken wings) and talked. Turns out she doesn't drink, like myself, and said she goes to meetings, twice a week, for an eating disorder. Not sure what that is about, she's in good shape, not anerexic or over weight.
But anyway, I asked for the second date and she agreed and I gave her roses at the end of the night. I'm the hopeless romantic type, or should I say, hopeful. Tryed to make plans for during the weekend but she had plans with her friends, so I'll have to wait a little longer to see what happens. (
I'm the impatient type when it comes to women) Want to know if this is going to workout. Augh!!! the waiting! :rolleyes:

So as far as meeting expectations, I don't know. She seems like a quiet type of gal and not a wild partying type, like myself. So I hope to see her again and try to make this work. I like the simply, quiet, average looking type of gal. Never cared for those wild women types.

After talking I find we have similar interests on many things. Both like camping, pool, bowling, some of the same movies, music, don't drink, and both of us have a problem with food, in some way.

Guess I'll just have to wait. I need to relax a little and keep this off my mind. I've never had a relationship longer than 2-6 months and there's been large gaps in between them.

I've focused on career mostly in between these times and am now a business owner, had saved some money, and have good friends, so the only things left are losing the weight, the relationship, and quitting smoking.

Wow did I go on for a while here! Anyway, I feel better getting this off my mind. You see the problems losing weight causes!!! :daze: lol

Thanks for listening to silly old me.

John John just be a little patience, Go slow, don;t scare her off by going to fast. If she went out with you . your weight is not a factor , She likes you for you. Just keep up the flowers, and kindness to her, Go bowling next time so things are not the same. and you will feel better, loose the weight first them the smoking. Too hard to do 2 big changes at the same time. ;) Good Luck to both of you.

John2001
Sat, Feb-09-02, 10:32
Thanks for your comments. I'm really not trying to rush into anything, just wasn't getting a clear view of what is going on.

We have plans for this Sunday afternoon / evening, so we'll see how it goes.

I feel a little uncomfortable asking about the "eating disorder" she says she has, but by doing so, (asking about it ) will show I have an interest in her personally.
Again, thanks for the advice.

Cheers, John

PS: I researched the issues of eating disorders a little, to gather some information.

sunsight13
Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:48
Hi guys,

Just got out of the hospital myself. Had a lump removed. My sister died of breast cancer so wanted to make sure about this lump - it was benign but did cause worry until they biopsied it. Food in German hospital is all starch. Bread for breakfast with butter and jelly, lunch was a small piece of meat with potatoes, pasta salad, potato soup and dried up cake of some kind. Dinner was 3 slices of bread with a slice of cheese and a small pot of liverwurst and a piece of fruit. Just about the same each day. And they call this healthy! I gained 3 pounds but expect is to disappear immediately as I am back on LC.

Glad to see everyone continuing. It did my spirits good to get back to the forum and support. Missed you guys.

Have some travel coming up so that always means food challenges. Hopefully will find food available that is on my list. It is hard over here sometimes and I rarely go out because of the limited non-starch choices.

Let us know how the second date goes, John. We are all there supporting you. Enjoy yourself!

Susan

Janmomto2
Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:38
Hello, everyone trying to get to 199. It looks like you all are doing well and making your way there I to would love to see 199. I can't remember the last time I saw that number. I am almost half way there. I hope to be there by Easter. So I hope you don't mind if I join in on this goal. I just love this new wol and the lossing makes me want to keep going right now. I have been trying to get myself to exercise everyday. I do tae bo one day and the ab doer the next. I am hoping the ab doer helps don't know yet have only been doing it for a couple of days but sure can feel it. Well good luck everyone. Janet

John2001
Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:55
Glad you joined us. Nice to see your happy and positive with this WOL too.
There's so many benefit to it.

I know the feeling of wanting to see 199 for the first time in years! Been a long time for me too. The losing is so addicting, it's always on my mind. Like a kid with a new toy! ;) I haven't felt this great in years, the high energy levels, that is.

Just a fantastic WOL and great bunch of people here in this site. Loaded with information. Just poke around, you'll find the answer to most anything you need to know.

Again, welcome to the group!

Cheers, John

BaileyWS
Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:12
The losing is so addicting, it's always on my mind. Like a kid with a new toy! ;) I haven't felt this great in years, the high energy levels, that is.

You're right, John. The numbers heading down IS a great motivator for keeping us focussed on this WOE.

I know I've been better because of it. Betweeen the weight loss and the exercise ... I know that's added to this speedy recovery from surgery. I was at church today (I'm a pastor) and working some ... and people were amazed ... like a miracle ... that I had so much energy, so little pain, so much voice, and doing so well. I am convinced it was the work of God through this wol and the support of this forum. (and the surgeon, of course!)

Thanks,

John2001
Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:18
Glad to hear your out of the hospital and feeling good again!

Cheers, John

John2001
Fri, Feb-15-02, 14:19
Just checking in. Another week is gone.

Well for most anyway. (I work 6-days)

How's everybody doing?

I will be weighing in tomorrow myself. Have a feeling I've slowed / stalled again myself. Don't feel a difference this week. The scale will tell.

Cheers, John

Cinnamom
Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:38
Hi 199'ers! I had a good week and am down 1.5. I've noticed that now that I'm eating more regularly (that is, 3 meals a day) I have more energy, better moods and am still losing. I used to skip meals, especially breakfast and/or lunch. I have had a habit of eating big right before bedtime. Now that I have had b'fast and lunch, dinner is much lighter and I feel so much better! This has been a big help for me.

Hope everybody has a great week next week!

John2001
Sat, Feb-16-02, 15:01
Well weighed in at 208-210lbs. Up :( 4-5lbs now for 2-weeks.

I am walking for 30-mins now. Maybe water and / or muscle weight, not sure.
Clothes fit the same, but scale is up to no good.

Cheers, John

Natrushka
Sat, Feb-16-02, 15:06
I am walking for 30-mins now. Maybe water and / or muscle weight, not sure. Clothes fit the same, but scale is up to no good.

John, if the clothing fits the same and the inches haven't gone up then it's good news indeed - MUSCLE news. Remember those scales don't always tell you the whole story.

Nat

John2001
Sat, Feb-16-02, 15:20
I know that's what it is, but really wanted to see a lower number. I just want to see anything below 200, then I'm gonna pack on some serious muscle before summer. Then the scale won't matter at all to me. ;)

Thanks for stopping by Nat.

Cheers, John

PS: I've been reading a lot of your posts around the site. Always seem to write one just below or after you. LOL! ;)

get'nthin
Wed, Feb-20-02, 09:08
I have just started LCing a couple of weeks ago. So far so good. I would really like to see that 1 in 2002. I am so glad to have the support of others. WE CAN DO IT!!!

fitat41
Thu, Feb-21-02, 23:08
Hello Everyone, been working alot lately and haven't taken the time to get on. sounds like we are all struggling a little, I thought I would try the zone diet to add some friut to my plan.....gained 3 lbs. not sure why????? then I cheated this weekend when we had some friends over for dinner and haven't got back to strick yet :( gotto get going again....felt so much better :daze: :roll: :spin: Keep up the woe and keep encouraging each other, It great to get on and read everyones postings. Thanks. bye for now. Fitat41 :wave:

John2001
Fri, Feb-22-02, 00:23
That's the best way to think about it. Accept the slight cheat, and get right back in the saddle again. Don't give in and give up.

I've heard this so many times from other folks. We will all give in, at some point. Stick with it, we will win this battle!

Cheers, John :roll:

John2001
Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:27
Weighed in tonight, back down to 205-lbs. Still doing the walking a few times a week at 30-min's per.
Going to change my stats again.

How's everybody doing?

Cheers, John

BaileyWS
Tue, Feb-26-02, 00:56
Congrats John ... glad you're keeping up the good work.

I'm back to the grind ... lots of work ... and feeling a bit sluggish. I think it will be another week or so, maybe more, for me to get my thyroid levels up to where they should be ... in the meantime, I'm tired, down, cold, and constipated. UGH

But it's not as bad as if I were to have the I131 (Radioactive Iodine) treatment ... then I would have had to be off all thyroid replacement for at least 6 weeks before treatment ... if I'm feeling it now (moderately hypothyroid), I am SO glad that I didn't have to tolerate the severe hypothyroid.

I'm following the woe, kind of. I still have some ice cream in the freezer that I had "treated" myself with ... Breyers Butter Pecan. It's not especially bad in carbs per half-cup serving (only 11, actually) ... but I don't think even that much sugar on a regular basis (every other day or so) is going to help me in the end. So when this box is gone ... I won't buy any more for a while.

I have been constipated ... in part because of the surgery and the hypothyroid and in part because of this woe ... I was taking fibercom daily before, but didn't notice that it was helping much.

I started eating fiber one cereal in the morning (about 1/2 cup with a few berries and cream) ... but I can't be sure if that's too much carbs for me or not ... I'm still in ketosis ... but I weighed in at 235 this morning (somewhat high). I would like to see that number much closer to 230 now. But, again, I'm not too worried because it's my time of the month and this usually happens the week before ... I won't worry too much until next week.

I have been back to excercise now too ... every day (5 times/week) 30 minutes at Curves for Women ... it's a routine that mixes high-cardio with resistence machines ... has been very good for me.

John2001
Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:23
Glad to hear they didn't stick you back in the nuker. ;) My body weight has been flucuating a lot recently too. Up and down 5-lbs at a time. I think it's stopped now, back down to 205 for me. I've been doing a lot of walking too, and as Nat said a while back, it's probably muscle weight building up too, in reguards to weight gains.

Constipation: I too get that now and then. I have flax seed oil in my morning shake and eat salids every couple of days. That usually works for me. I really think it's more the flax seed oil, than the salids that help a lot. I have been eating more cheese and jello recently. That can't be helping me.

Good for you with not going to buy anymore "butter pecan". It was hard for me for a while, to give up such items we have grown to enjoy, but we all know what results will happen if we go back to those foods again. I don't even think about those foods anymore.
Know where you want to go and let nothing stop you. As someone has on their by-line : "Being thin tastes the best" or something like that.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, John* Food is fuel, nothing more than fuel*

10stone10
Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:55
Hey 199ers!
Where is everybody?
How is everybody doing?
One of my goals is to beat that "2" into submission and replace it with a "1" asap!
I know that slow and steady wins the race but I really want to see some downward movement on my scales.
I've just started BFL in an attempt to get fit as well as slim.
What are others doing to get their scales moving in the downward direction?
Sandra

BaileyWS
Tue, Mar-05-02, 16:05
Sandra ... thanks for writing.

I'm sorry to report that my scale has not shown much movement in the downward direction ... but that's normal for me (hovering for 2-3 weeks then a drop of nearly 5 pounds ... then hovering, etc.)

10stone10
Tue, Mar-05-02, 16:17
Good to know that people are still out there!
My scale moves very slowly. I haven't had a visit from the whoosh fairy but I realise that this weight took 10 years to put on - I just hope it doesn't take 10 years to take off! It must be very satisfying to have 5 pounds drop off suddenly.
Are you still following your fitness at Curves?
I am a newbie to exercise. Have you noticed a difference in your shape? I am shaped just like this: :wave: It would be nice to get a bit more of a waist again.
Sandra

BaileyWS
Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:09
Yes, it's pretty neat when the 4-5 comes off quickly (over a couple of days) ... but the 3-4 weeks in between is despairing. I guess I'm realizing that this is just the way it is with me ...

I am still working out at Curves. I have to admit :( that I chose to sleep in this morning ... it has been SO cold here! I just didn't have the energy to get up (especially after my dd decided she was feeling sick and wasn't going to school today).

Actually, I've been just a little too lax lately about eating and exercising. I think I'm still a bit hypothyroid and finding the energy to stick to it is just not there.

I don't know that I've noticed a change in my shape ... my dh was so nice :mad: to point out that he could see the weight loss in my face ... I was getting some "ever so fine" wrinkles now that the skin isn't as taut.

And the people at Curves are saying they see a huge difference from when I first started coming ... one even commented that I could be their next poster woman. ;)

My hips and thighs are much firmer and smaller. And my stomach (which used to pass as pregnant) is much flatter ... still not a real waist ... but I felt OK enough to buy a denim (hip-hugging) skirt ... looks OK I think.

I get lots and lots and lots of comments at church ... people keep asking how much now? I'm looking forward to the 199 mark ... but probably more important ... I'm looking forward to wearing clothes in the Misses department (down to 18W in most things now) ... so I'm getting there.

And I REALLY look forward to the day I can tell people I'm down 100 pounds! WOW ... that will be an accomplishment.

I'm feeling somewhat impatient, but not enough to push too hard. I don't mind taking it easy for a while .... settle into my new size ... I'm going to Guatemala for a month in April, and just don't think I'm going to go full force until I'm back ... that doesn't mean I'm not following this WOE, just allowing a few more carbs here and there ... and giving in to some cravings now and then. Afterall, if this is going to work for the rest of my life, it has to be something I can live with.

suzieq
Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:30
:) I really enjoyed that some others feel the same as me about seeing a number on the scale that starts with a 1!!! Two and a half years ago I did Atkins for the first time lost 100 pounds and got to 211, then for a variety of reasons I forgot what I was doing right and gained 60 back. This time for me the losing is so slow, but I am more determined than ever for this WOL, and I to plan to keep going for ever, and can't wait to hit 199! and then on to my goal of 170.

Thanks for your posts, knowing there are others out there that feel the same, helps with the determination and makes it almost fun!! :roll:

mystery2u
Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:29
The last time I saw my numbers in the hundreds was in H.S. I was about 176 that was many years ago. I've lost weight two times in my life before but always just shy of 199. It will be interesting to get to that point.

This WOL seems to be very manageable for me. I do read a lot of post where people have lost huge amounts of weight and re-gained it. Usually, people don't share the pitfalls.

Good Luck!!!

Bambi
Thu, Mar-07-02, 03:05
Ohh please let me join,,,,,

BaileyWS
Thu, Mar-07-02, 07:02
Originally posted by Bambi
Ohh please let me join,,,,,

You just did ... Welcome Bambi :wave:

Looks like you'll be hitting the 199 milestone pretty soon.

Glad you're here.

pinkcaddy
Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:12
Hello everyone. I am back. Fell off the wagon for awhile. I have been in induction for 4 days now and I am feeling better. Had a bit of a crises and turned to food. Oh well, the past is the past. Glad to see you are all doing well. Liiking forward to hearing from you soon.

What you think about you bring about so focus on your goal!

10stone10
Mon, Mar-11-02, 15:10
hi pinkcaddie - glad to have you back.
we all fall off the wagon sometime. the main thing is to get back on. glad to have you back aboard.
sandra

DeeX2
Mon, Mar-11-02, 20:51
I have 36 lbs to go to get to 199. I would love to be able to do it by summer, that's what 12 lbs a month for the next 3 months? That's not to much to ask is it?

I need to get on a regular exercise program and get some weights! Sure wish we had a weight center around where I live, but you can't expect much when you live in the boonies!~ :rolleyes:

I'm going to need tons of encouragement on this though! So please be there for me!

:D

10stone10
Tue, Mar-12-02, 00:45
DeeX2
You go girl! We'll give you the support you need!:cheer:
I think everybody here would agree that a regular exercise program would be a benefit.
I am enjoying the Body For Life program. I found someone selling weights second hand and set up a home gym. I follow an aerobics video on the aerobics days but you can do any aerobic activity to suit yourself.
hang in there! You've got nothing to lose but weight!:cheer:
Sandra

mystery2u
Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:06
199, 199, 199 , 199

Ohhhh 199 where are you. Please see me soon. I don't care if it takes 1/2/3 months I just want to experience you.

I remember a number in the one hundreds in high school and that was a high number. Well, that was *&^=# years ago, LOL.

199, where are you.

John2001
Tue, Mar-12-02, 14:01
I've been waiting on this stupid number for way too long now! Just can't break thur the 204-205-209 range. Been floating for what seems link forever at 204-205lbs. Augh!!!!

Just want to see it once, then I'm gonna workout, hard core til springtime. After I see 199, the weight on the scale won't dictate my life. Would be comfortable with 200-215lb, with muscle adding to the scale.

Come-on Mr. Scale, move already!! (Down that is, just 5-lbs! )

Cheers, John

pinkcaddy
Tue, Mar-12-02, 15:35
John, don't be so hard on your self. If you keep your eyes on the goal the results will come. It si proven that what you think about you bring about so think you are 199!! Wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and say " hi I am John, I am healthy and fit and I weigh 199 pounds. It sounds crazy but it works. Stay positive and focus on the positive. If you focus on the negative you will allow doubt to get it's nasty foot in the door and sabatoge your goal! You can do it! Just think.... " I am glad it has been hard for me becuase the others will be able to relate to it BUT that is all over now. I now weigh 199 pounds! I believe in you!

DeeX2
Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:34
Cheering you to 199~
You can do it! Look how far you have come already! Looks super to those of us just starting out!
Keep up the good work, goal for you is just around the corner! Mine's still a several miles down the road, but luckily I bought some good walking shoes!~ :thup:

Momma always said a watched pot never boils, so try not to think about that 199 being so close and before you know it, you will be falling over it! :roll:

John2001
Tue, Mar-19-02, 22:50
Thanx for your comments.

Weighed in this morning, reached goal, 199lbs! Ahh finally. Now going to re-adjust to 190-lbs for the next one. Feel somewhere between 185-195 I think I'll be happy.

Been sick recently, went to Dr and found I have pheumonia! Yikes, seemed like the normal cold / flu to me. On med's and unfortunatly eating more carbs for the moment. Soups, Gatorade - etc. I'm probably consuming 3-times the usual amount of carbs per day. Know I have too to get well, just don't look forward to gaining and have to break thru the 199 wall again.

Cheers for now, John

BaileyWS
Tue, Mar-19-02, 23:35
Congrats John! And I hope you get over the pneumonia soon. Don't worry ... get well. There will be time later to focus on the weight loss.

In the meantime, great going on the 199! Hopefully, the extra carbs will be used to get you better, not stored for a later catastrophe <G>. You need them now.

BaileyWS
Tue, Mar-19-02, 23:38
Unfortunately I've been counting up instead of counting down. I was sidetracked by a terrific vacation in Puerto Vallarta, MExico ... resort, beach, desserts <DANGER<DANGER>

Oh well, I enjoyed, I learned about my addiction, and I gained 10 pounds in one week!

Was it worth it? No, but then I don't regret it that much ... I AM back on track now (induction began again today) and I DID enjoy the vacation <G>

groovygirl
Wed, Mar-20-02, 00:07
What great news to come back to (yes, I've been gone but I haven't forgotten you 199'ers).

FANTASTIC WORK JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really proud of you!!!!!

Hope you get to feelin' better.

get'nthin
Wed, Mar-20-02, 18:53
WAY TO GO JOHN!!! :roll:
I have been super busy with work and the kids. I am at my first stall.....I hate it :mad:

I finally talked my mother into lc'ing with me and after 4 weeks her cholestrol has dropped!!! It just don't make sense. My brother and his wife have started too.....his blood sugar has dropped an average of 35 in only 3 weeks. Dropping lbs and getting healthier all the way around.

I hope to reach the 199 by 2003!!

Keep Smiling :D

10stone10
Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:07
Way to go John!! :cheer:
Now just get that pneumonia out of your system.
I saw a one on my scale the other day - I slipped from the 220's to the 2teens. Unfortunately it didn't last...TOM thank you so much.
But John, you're inspiring us to lower things... :D
Sandra

10stone10
Sun, Mar-24-02, 02:58
So John, how are you feeling now? I hope things are looking up and you are better.
My week has been one of ups and downs. I am glad its Sunday and the start of a new week.
My weight fluctuated (up) 8 pounds last week. I was NOT happy. Intellectually I know its not fat but emotionally I start asking myself questions: Maybe the scales were wrong when they said I was losing; Maybe I'm just fooling myself into thinking I'm getting thinner... Hormones - doncha just LUV em?
I'm happy to say things are looking a bit more normal today. I find the weekends difficult. Not structured. I made myself 2 lowcarb cookies 'cause my husband bought himself some danish as a treat.
So how do you folks cope with pitfalls?
Sandra

John2001
Sun, Mar-24-02, 05:11
Feeling stronger every day. Getting better. Just have to take it easy, which is hard for me. Have a hard time just sitting around, but know I have too. Still on the med's, will be for another week. Going for a second chest x-ray on Wednesday, to see if has cleared up yet.

Weight going up and down here too. 198-202 range. Hate it. Wish the scale would stop at something like 195, just for once, now THAT would be cool!
Cheers for now, John

10stone10
Sun, Mar-24-02, 07:49
John - Good to hear from you. Glad to know you're getting better. Don't fool with pneumonia! Remember we're here pulling for you!
Sandra

Cheryl R
Fri, Mar-29-02, 20:47
:p I'm back.... :wave:
I missed you all. I ignored my messages in email for a week or so and I guess if you don't come to the site often enough you don't get the messages telling you you have responses.

Well, I got busy sewing...blew the low carb...more or less... I let a nutritionist talk me out of it... I feel worse now... and to boot, I went for a walk one day and broke my foot. I've been in pain and pretty much ate whatever Darrell put in front of me for the first week...when ever I was away. I slept on pain pills for about 4 or 5 days straight. I think a normal break wouldn't have been so bad, but the surgeon had to go in and repair....and gosh while in there might as well take care of the bunion right? Well I agreed to it since the break was in the same area.

OK, it's been 3 weeks now...today. I went on a short trip with the Rainbow Girls and ate wrong foods..heck I was on a roll.
My weight is about 276 now, I think, I can't balance on the scale too well.

Well anyway. I'm back....

I see John made it to 199, but no one has posted for a few days.... Anyone else getting close???
I'll get there by the end of summer 2003...he he he...
no really I will
I'm so glad to be back..
I went shopping to start low carb again tomorrow...today is already blown. I'm the type to go cold turkey...and tomorrow is the day...I'm expecting the headaches this time, I will be prepared for it. I have a months worth of Atkins vitamins standing by...I think that will help with the headaches. I hope...
Wish me luck.

BaileyWS
Fri, Mar-29-02, 21:10
Welcome back Cheryl!

I know how it is when you have health issues to contend to. We only have so much energy, and it's easy to kick back to old comfortable ways of eating to comfort us through those difficult times. Don't kick yourself too hard. Your back on track now (or tomorrow, that is) and you know how much better you will feel.

I don't think I'll hit 199 until close to the end of the year ... slow, you know. I too have too much else going on right now to stick close to my Atkins plan. I still make low carb choices, but I'm not really counting and eating what's served more than I used to.

I went out for a passover supper last night and they served lots of middle eastern dishes. I don't know what the names were ... one was a beef & tarragon stew (yum) and the bread (!). I had some. Then the rice -- spiced and with lamb -- also very good. And the sweetened wheat for dessert. Didn't have much, but a good spoonful of each kind.

It's hard this time of year for me because there is so much activity ... I can't always plan for eating too.

Then, a week from Monday, I'm off to Guatemala for a month ... I will eat smart and politely (staying with a family). When I get home, I hope that I will have at least kept even in my weight.

So ... that means that I will be back to the Atkins woe in May ... maybe 199 by ... my birthday in November? That might be a good reasonable target date ...

I keep reminding myself ... I'm in it fo the long haul ... and sometimes I just find myself taking a detour now and then ... but I will always return to this wol.

Cheryl R
Fri, Mar-29-02, 21:25
Good luck on your trip.
I had a horrible time on this 4 day trip I just went on...I was bummed about being in a wheelchair... couldn't do as much as I wanted...and it was either banquets or restaurant measl for the entire time.
My foot actually is healing well...as of my 11 day check when I got the stitches out. Now it's an ache all the time and my skin is so tight and dry. The scar is healing nicely. It was a really wierd injury and I had already planned surgery to remove a bunion...then I broke it just below that joint and because the bunion would have interfered with the healing, they did a modified bunionectomy to help re-align the bone. I don't know for sure what all that means...but now I have a screw, a washer and a pin as souvineers.
I want to go back to work so bad.....I am so bored and I would probably sit more there than I do at home. It all happened just as my new job was to start.... I was to start it on March 13th...and the surgery was on March 8th....but I was out most of that week prior anyway...I was at the doctors everyday that week except for Tuesday. The pre op stuff took 2 full days...and I was in pain the whole time. My dh just kept rubbing my back. The pain pills were great though. It's funny... 4 days after the surgery...It's like the pain almost vanished, I went from taking 2 pills every 4 hours to 1 pill every 5 hours then quit taking them the next day all together.
Ooooops...long story again.

BaileyWS
Fri, Mar-29-02, 21:37
No need to apaolgize, Cheryl ...

Sounds like you've really been through the ringer. And that you're healing well. It takes time to heal, though, and patience ... and, well, it's not comfortable :mad:

It's especially maddening when it takes you by surprize ... one day you think you're going to a new job, the next you're waiting for the surgeon ... what you're feeling is grief, it's normal, it's natural, and it helps to share it.

I will keep you in my prayers, if it's alright with you ... praying for quick healing and recovery, the strength to be patient and perservering in the process, and the hope of one day soon returning to work AND your weight loss goals.

Will you go back to your new job, then? or will it be something else?

10stone10
Fri, Apr-12-02, 00:05
Where is everybody? :confused:
Haven't "heard" hide nor hair of anyone for ages!
Has anyone got any news to report?
How many have made it to 199 in the past 2 weeks? (not me ;) )

So John - hope you're better now. Has the doctor given you a clean bill of health? Have you maintained your 199? or lost more?! You're our success story - You must tell us how you're doing!

My story is a bit less successful. I've been doing BFL and my weight loss has stalled. That's ok I hear you say - you're gaining muscle and losing inches - NOT. My shape has changed some but not enough to move down a size. My favourite trousers actually didn't fit me this week because they were too SMALL! :mad:
I'm concentrating on the feeling of accomplishment. I've completed nearly 6 weeks of BFL and am contemplating running a 5 km race. (I did say contemplating - haven't decided yet.) Anyone out there have experience of racing? My husband did the London marathon many years ago - long before I showed up on the scene.

Come on 199ers - Lets get some chatter going here!
Sandra

John2001
Fri, Apr-12-02, 06:27
I was checking in to see how all were doing. For some reason I stopped getting the e-mails from the forum. I was used to checking mail and seeing that someone posted, it stopped for a while. humm

Anyway glad to see everybody is still here. I'm over the illness, back to 100%.
Well except for my left shoulder. Started working out and of coarse started too much too fast and over did it. Been sore for over a week. Thought it was gone and ( duhh! ) hurt it again last night. So will take a break from the upperbody stuff for a while.

Other than that, I haven't weighed myself in a couple weeks but feel the clothes are the same or a little looser so I'm probably still right around the 199 mark. Will have to check soon.

Cheers, John

pinkcaddy
Fri, Apr-12-02, 09:55
I am still here.... I have fallen off the wagon but I haven't given up hope. Each day is a new begining. I will get this handled and I look forward to hearing from each of you! We can do this together! The support is great. Remember yesterday doesn't count, it is only this moment that matters.... enjoy and be kind to yourself!

10stone10
Mon, Apr-15-02, 13:37
Way to go John - looser clothes means inches lost. :yay: keep up the good work and let us know how you're getting on.

Pinkcaddy - There sure are alot of BCers on this site. :wave:
I'm an ex-BCer myself (Surrey girl). Living in the North of England now. I've been hoping to hit 199 for my birthday in May but it is elusive. How long have you been lcing? dont' worry about falling off the wagon - the thing is to jump right back on again! Focus on your acheivements - 42 pounds! That's an amazing loss so far! :clap:

Sandra

pinkcaddy
Tue, Apr-16-02, 13:01
Thank your for the support. April 20 will be one year on this way of eating. I know it works, so I will get it done! How about you....

pinkcaddy
Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:55
Back in induction.... Day two.... grouchy and restless. I don't know hwy I keep doing this to myself. Just need to be consistant! How are you doing out there???? Never give up! They say if you believe it you can acheive it! We all just need to stay focussed. The reward will feel so great! Looking forward to hearing from you.....I believe each of you will meat your goal. Just keep trying and remember to live for today! :cheer:

10stone10
Mon, Apr-22-02, 15:03
hang in there pinkcaddy!
I think its just you and me here.
I've been lcing since 9 december 2001. i've been stuck since 16 march 02. I'm doing BFL too so there are changes happening just not on the scale. I'm in Week 6 of bfl. This past week has been the hardest. I seem to have lost some of my focus. the food isn't too much of a problem. I enjoy eating lc :)
this week the exercise has been hard to make time for - emotionally not really. the time is there it's the choice of using it for bfl.
You have come so far though! keep it up :thup:
We can spur each other on...
sandra

pinkcaddy
Mon, Apr-22-02, 16:15
Thanks for the response. Exercising is just one of those things we have to make as habitual as showering! So what takes you so far from Vancouver?
Victoria. (From Victoria!)

10stone10
Mon, Apr-22-02, 23:32
Victoria
I got married to an Englishman and moved to England 10 1/2 years ago. He was living in Vancouver at the time. I always thought the move was temporary :p I've gained 80 pounds since then. Admittedly I had lost weight for the wedding so I was lower than normal when I started but when I went to the doctor to ask for help I was told that all women gain weight when they get married because they're happy. I just about strangled him, the condescending git.
Anyway - time to get offline and workout. I like your idea of making exercise as habitual as showering. I don't function without a shower in the morning - I need to make my workout as essential. Thanks for the idea, now to train my mindset! ;)
Sandra

pinkcaddy
Mon, Apr-29-02, 20:30
So....how is the excercising going.... I have been walking....that is about all for now....looking forward to hearing from you. I weighed myself and I have gained 10 pounds. It is intirely my fault....back in ketosis and miserable as I always am the first couple days.....I am a grouch!!! :mad:

10stone10
Mon, Apr-29-02, 23:57
Hi Victoria
Sort of lost my momentum this weekend. Am determined to get back on the exercise wagon but am tired. Not getting enough sleep. Weather changed again - back to monsoon-mode and that makes it very hard to get out of bed too.
Hoping for a visit from the whoosh fairy. It's my turn!
Don't worry about the grouchiness - this too will pass. One morning you'll wake up and voila! a happy lc babe!
Hang in there - I'm rooting for you!
Sandra

pinkcaddy
Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:53
Thanks Sandra. I am felling a little cheerier today. Was really craving sugar yesterday. Today in ketosis and feeling better. Started walking to work...what is your daily excercice routine....
YOU CAN DO IT!

10stone10
Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:57
Hi Victoria
Glad to hear you're feeling more cheerful. That hurdle of induction is now over and the real you is shining through! :sunny:

I should walk to work too. Its about a 40 minute walk away, through a park and over the fields (sounds like I live in the country doesn't it?! I don't - I just don't like walking near the roads - too dirty. One of the good things about living in England is that there are paths everywhere!). You can't rely on the weather here though. Often the mornings are beautiful and sunny but the afternoons are rainy and cold and I am a fairweather walker!

I am following the Body for Life plan which consists of weight training for 45 minutes every other day, with aerobics in between. I've been doing it for 57 days and until today I was very happy about it. Today I took some pictures to compare with my before pictures and there is no noticable difference. If my weight is the same and I look the same ... I'm just a bit fed up.
I'm turning 40 in 3 weeks time and wanted to make a difference for the rest of my life. The difference hasn't happened yet.

I will continue. There are other benefits. I feel more confident. I think I'm thinner so I act thinner. :) I'm stronger. My husband thinks my biceps are better than his! :p So maybe i'll still be a large 40 year old, I'll be a healthier 40 year old and thats OK!

Sandra

pinkcaddy
Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:06
Sounds like your husband is a great guy....or....maybe he is just scared you will kick his butt! Keep going...remember you are forming a habit! You are doing great and it is about feeling great!
Victoria.
:cheer:

10stone10
Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:20
Hi Victoria
Hubby's been working out too (not BFL)
I keep teasing him about his buns of steel! :D
Bedtime now in Uk!
Sandra

BaileyWS
Tue, Apr-30-02, 16:15
Saw some activity here today in my email, and thought I'd check in with you all ...

I am writing from Guatemala. I have been here for over three weeks now ... and will return on Saturday to my home in the Houston, Texas, area.

I haven't been eating LC at all here ... it's impossible when living with a middle class family and eating what's put on the table ... or NOT eating what's put on the table ...

I don't have the stomach for corn tortillas and beans ... so I eat very little ... I do indulge at times in chocolate covered frozen bananas and an ocassional mug of chocolate con leche (hot chocolate with milk).

But I've been pretty sick since I've been here ... and know I haven't gained a pound ... I think I've been losing since my clothes seem looser now than when I arrived.

I can't wait to return and get back to the LC Lifestyle ... I felt so much better then ... of course, getting back to sea-level will help me feel better too ... the altitude does make me feel pretty weak.

Tonight ... I told my family I was going to treat them to a dominoes pizza for supper ... I know, I know ... but I am so homesick! And so hungry!!!

I will be leaving Quetzaltenango early Friday morning and then flying home on Saturday.

I will check in again when I return and tell you all what the scale says ...

Take care,
Wendy

pinkcaddy
Tue, Apr-30-02, 16:19
Hello! I know what it is like to try and low carb in another country.... you will be glad to get home! Just remember to jump right back on the wagon.... I wasted a couple of months. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

pinkcaddy
Sun, May-05-02, 18:55
Hello everyone...all two of us??? Not sure anymore. Hope you had a great weekend...I am still at work but looking forward to a head start on next week. Hope you are doing well and in ketosis!!! I ran out of sticks...need to go to the store....doing OK tho..how about you?

BaileyWS
Sun, May-05-02, 19:20
thanks ... I am back in town and weighed in at 225 this morning. I attempted to get back on the LC way of eating today ... but gave in to the cravings for chips and candy ... ugh!

I will start again tomorrow.

pinkcaddy
Sun, May-05-02, 19:33
You are doing great. Today is only one day... just consider all the progress you have made... you have come soooooo far!
:thup:

10stone10
Sun, May-05-02, 19:43
Hi all
good to hear some chatter in this thread.

Welcome back Wendy. Hang in there! Victoria's right - you have come so far. Yesterday you had your chips but now is the time to move forward and back to the lc wol. Sorry to hear you were ill in Guatemala. Could it have been the food?
We're all rooting for you!

Still stalled me. Going to take my measurements tomorrow to see if anything is actually happening off the scales.
Wish me luck!
Sandra

pinkcaddy
Mon, May-06-02, 09:11
Sandra, now did the measurements go.... I need to get on a scale... I have been scared to but I will in a couple of days....just need to remember eat meat not vegetables! Talke to you soon.... :roll:

Vickolien
Thu, May-09-02, 03:53
Hi Everyone,
I just started induction 5 days ago, so weight is coming off fast. I can't wait for the 199, because in my metric system it is 89,55. And that means no more 9 as a first number...!!!!!
Can't wait to get there, must have been 5 years since I weighed that or so....

Bye....! :wave:

tofi
Mon, May-13-02, 17:30
I just found this thread - still haven't explored all the forums.

I am currently about 217 and have been stalled here for 3 years. I actually was 198 in June 1999 after losing 40 pounds in 8 months. Since then I have dithered, hovered, gained, lost, gained and now am losing a bit again. But I've also been on pain medications most of that time and had 2 major surgeries. So them's my excuses

Now I'd really like to see that 199 and lower, so here I am to keep you company in this thread.

Let's hope it works.

BarB

shyoned
Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:07
I would love to be in the 199 countdown. I am currently 218, and want to be below 200 before summer is over....

But I have been in a stall, so I am starting induction over!

shyoned
Tue, Jul-09-02, 06:29
only 17 lbs to go!!!

Woo hoo

gomanngo
Wed, Jul-10-02, 09:23
Hey everyone,

Just found this thread, which is great because I too want so desparately to be under 200. For the past 4 - 6 six weeks I keep bouncing around the 212 to 215 range. Just can't seem to get past the 212 mark. Hopefully checking in here will help with the motivation and all.

shyoned
Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:07
I am now down to 215...and was so excited (Never thought I would say that....)

Now only 16 more to go...whooo hoo

mythreeson
Mon, Jul-15-02, 04:11
i want to join in to as u can see i started out at 262 10 weeks ago and am now down to 221 but by the end of september i want to see a 1 as the first number in my weight. staying strong and hoping it will come true.

shyoned
Mon, Jul-15-02, 05:26
MyThreeSon, You are doing great, and I am sure that you will reach your goal!! 10 weeks really isn't that long, and you have already lost over 40lbs. You are my hero!! :) I am talking my sister into trying low carbing...she is almost 400lbs, and stories like yours really gives me ammo to motivate her!!!

mythreeson
Tue, Jul-16-02, 05:17
well i had tryed every other diet imaginable and a friend talked me into this one but i have found its not a diet just a whay of life. your sister will be amazed and the way she will begin to feel and look. good luck on convinceing her if u need help send her to me lol.

pinkcaddy
Wed, Jul-17-02, 11:58
Hello Everyone. I am back from holidays and back in induction. I had gone off Atkins for about 6 weeks and gained 20 pounds. That was about all the proof I needed that I will eat this way forever. Have been in induction 4 days and lost 5 of the 20 pounds. Love hearing from you!

shyoned
Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:16
well WELCOME BACK......Sometimes it really does take falling off the wagon to realize that we were on the right one all along!!

Great job on the 5lbs too!!!

Tari
Thu, Jul-18-02, 11:38
Hi everyone!

I just found this thread and would love to join in!

My fiancee and I have been LCing since the beginning of January. (We have a good motivator...we're hoping to look great in our wedding pictures next May!) So far, I've lost about 34 lbs...he's lost just over 50.

My next mini-goal is to be under 200 by the time I have to order my dress at the end of October! (If I get down one more dress size, it's $50 cheaper! :p ) Twenty-six pounds to go.

pinkcaddy
Thu, Jul-18-02, 11:44
Way to go! We are doing the same thing!! My fiance has about 50 pounds to loose and I have about 80. We are not setting a date, we are just waiting until we are at our goal weight and then going away and having our little dream wedding and dream vacation....Probably around next Christmas. He is not LCing becuase we do not live together and he finds it difficult to take the prep time required. Congrats...and you will both look GREAT in those photos and you will FEEL GREAT for your accomplishments, team work, and bathing suit bodies!!! Keep it up and welcome to the site!

dawnb
Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:50
hi, just read through this thread and i'd like to join the countdown. i gained about 50 pounds since getting married 5 years ago and had already gained 30 from when i started dating my husband. lots of reasons for that, mostly it was finally being with someone who i knew loved me for who i was, not what i looked like so that i was never scared out of my mind that if i gained weight he would leave me. Can you say insecure?

Anyway, i had always controlled my food by eating about half of what the men in my life ate. Apparently they all had small appetites *sigh*. my husband, however, was raised on a farm and can he eat!. I know the underlying reason is that i was just putting too much of the wrong thing in my mouth. high carb/low fat just doesn't work for me anymore.

i am finally on a downward trend am anxiously awaiting the day i see that "1" firmly in place at the front of my weight!

gomanngo
Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:08
Broken Arrow,

Welcome - that's the first time I have done that on a forum! I have been low carbing since late january, but due to time constraints I don't post a whole heck of an a lot. But definately wanted to welcome since your signature reflected you were a Christian? I have been anxious to meet another Christian lady on this diet.

This forum doesn't seem to be too active, but I would love to partner up with you if you would like.

pinkcaddy
Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:16
Welcome you two!! I am a Christain as well so don't be running off anywhere, I could use the support!!!

dawnb
Thu, Jul-25-02, 13:35
i'm glad to see both of you! i could really use some freindly support!

my signature is from one of my favorite worship songs.

i've only been doing this for about three weeks and the going is slow, but i've yo yo'd and tried so many bizarre diets over the years that i'm glad i've found something that works at all!

i'm so glad i found the mock danish recipe - it's been a lifesaver for breakfast!

dawn

Tari
Thu, Jul-25-02, 16:53
I'm a Christian, too (and could use some LC buddies). I'm also brand-new to this forum, but welcome, both of you!

I'm going to have to find that mock danish recipe...I've been living on low-carb muffins for quick breakfasts.

pinkcaddy
Thu, Jul-25-02, 17:19
I am wondering if we should start a new thread for motivational stuff as this thread in intended for the countdown to 199....either way is fine with me....just a thought.