PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know About Jay Robb??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jen B
Fri, Feb-03-06, 09:50
Has anyone read "The Fat Burning Diet Book" by Jay Robb? It's supposed to be low carb one day and high carb the next. Here's the site I saw it at: http://www.jayrobb.com/fbd.asp

This guy produces health products, including protein powders, both whey and egg. He had hypoglycemia and was able to reverse it. His testimonial on this site is impressive.

Would love to hear if anyone has followed this approach.

Rachel1
Fri, Feb-03-06, 14:23
Dunno about the book, but my initial take is that I'd be worried about mixing low and high carb, even on alternate days, unless the low carb was also low fat, and unless the high carb was no sugar and very low in processed carbs. Otherwise, you'd get a high-fat, high-processed carb diet overall - and we know what THAT means!

wjzmom
Fri, Feb-03-06, 16:17
I don't know about his book, but he has some protein shakes that are low carb, hormone free and sweetened with stevia.

For me, this was a God send!!!

Duparc
Fri, Feb-03-06, 19:08
Haven't heard of him previously but can understand why he has written a book on weight loss etc as he is an accomplished story-teller! There was a diet circulating a few years ago recommending not mixing carbohydrates and fats at the same meal and he seems to have latched-on to its coat-tails! As his theories seemed to be based mainly on subjectivity he is a no-no for me.

shortstuff
Sun, Feb-05-06, 15:55
You don't cure hypoglycemia - you control it. I've followed an LC way of eating for 2-1/2 years and don't have problems with my hypoglycemia, as long as I stay true to low carb. If I allow myself to eat something sugary or high carb, my blood sugar is right back on the roller coaster. I know better so I avoid doing that to myself. I made the mistake this past December of drinking a 12oz can of coca-cola to get rid of a nagging headache. Cured the headache, gave me a sugar high you wouldn't believe then I nearly fell asleep when my blood sugar bottomed out about 2-1/2 hours later.

I'm not doing that again. It's not worth it. I'll stick to something I know works - a low carb lifestyle. I have lost weight slowly, but the real benefits to me are controlling my hypoglycemia and controlling my cholesterol so I'm sticking with it.

Jen B
Sun, Feb-05-06, 17:02
The Fat Burning Diet is an "ample" protein, limited carbohydrate, healthy fat diet. The Fat Burning Diet is a balanced way of eating that consists of lean protein foods, fruits, vegetables, flax oil and other whole foods. Carbohydrates are limited, not eliminated and fats are encouraged in normal amounts and from wholesome sources. The Fat Burning Diet limits carbohydrate foods, thus it controls insulin needs and secretion, making the diet suitable for anyone wishing to get leaner, have more energy and better mental focus.

Geez, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard about this diet, tried it, or read the book. I'm not talking about drinking coca-cola or going nuts on sugar or high carbs. And by "reversing" hypoglycemia, I meant controlling it.

Lisa N
Sun, Feb-05-06, 18:53
Nope. Haven't tried it and with statements like this one:

While low-carb dieting can be effective in the short term, cutting carbs long term can carry many potential drawbacks, health risks, and challenges. An extreme low-carb diet can be monotonous, boring, too high in saturated fat, too low in fresh fruits and vegetables, too low in fiber, too high in meat, and fattening because it is high in calories.

I'm not likely to. ;)

shortstuff
Sun, Feb-05-06, 20:09
Jen, you totally missed the point of my first post. Bouncing back and forth from low carb (which will effectively control hypoglycemia) to high carb (simple and complex carbs both metabolize rather quickly as sugar) you're going to be on an almost constant blood sugar roller coaster. Why do that to yourself? Low carb done correctly is a sustainable and enjoyable life style. The only thing I find myself 'giving up' to follow this life style is that good old sugar roller coaster caused by a high carb diet.

Why mess with what works.

Jen B
Mon, Feb-06-06, 10:04
Everyone seems to have an opinion without knowing the facts. If I could delete this thread, I would. And here's my opinion: if you don't know the facts about this plan, why respond? After all, my intention was to gain information, not collect negative views from folks who have no experience or knowledge about the details.

This is not a high carb plan. My first "high" carb day, I had 60 carbs. On the low carb days, I have under 10 carbs. I've lost a pound in three days, and my blood sugar is perfectly calm. I feel great. I'm even feeling more energy. So, as far as I'm concerned, this thread can just die now.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I feel that some of the reactions to this thread are not at all helpful or necessary.

lizzyLC
Thu, Aug-03-06, 06:43
I ran into Jay Robb while looking into a carb cycling thread.
Jen - are you still experimenting with this? Jay Robb also has
a three day detox that involves whey, protein vegies, and
mostly fruit. Here's a blog about it. Don't be fooled by the
title - it's five pages of mostly good reports. I don't think
you should make this thread go away:-)
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2006/01/03/detox_diets_dont_work.php?page=5

4cats1hous
Thu, Aug-03-06, 12:33
There was an article on this diet in a recent issue of Women's World.

I don't know if I could do it, but to each his/her own.

wolfstrike
Thu, Aug-03-06, 21:00
Anyone can do it.I believe its a healthy way to eat.

The thing is that you are not in ketosis.Your cutting calories to lose weight and you will be hungry.ketosis on the other hand allows you to consume less food with way reduced hunger.

smurstep
Sun, Aug-13-06, 21:40
I have the book and tried the eating plan. I must say that the plan works. It's all about balancing your glycogen stores. He recommends eating very clean, organic foods. On high carb days you are allowed to eat complex and natural carbs only. No white fluffy stuff. No juices only whole fruits.

But the high carb days are not what most people would consider to be high carb, they are more at the South Beach diet level.

He does not want you to go into ketosis. But he also does not want your glycogen stores to be full. According to him if glycotogen stores are full, all additional carbs will be stored as fat.

I need to lose ten pounds after a great vacation, so I am going to get into ketosis and do a full induction after which I will go back to Jay Robb.

BTW: He has the greatest protein powder I have ever tasted.