PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs info on rate of loss help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ruby
Fri, Dec-28-01, 01:22
Hi, Did Atkins once before and lost 25lbs. Regained all but 9 lbs. This time I'm having a harder time sticking with induction. I weigh 162 lbs., am 5'3" and aged 45. I'd like to know what rate of weight loss I can expect. Is it as effective second time around? Please reply if you have any info. Thanks very much.

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:45
Ruby, welcome to the forum :)

Many things will effect your rate of loss, having done this before is certainly one. Age is another big one. Have you tried to figure out your % of body fat? 110lbs might be an unrealistic goal for you at 45 - I have no idea, bone size and muscle mass will all effect this as well. I can tell you that as we age the range for % of body fat goes up though. In Protein Power the Eades has a formula and some charts you can use to best figure out where you should be for your age group and frame size. It would be a good idea to check the book out of the library for a look-see.

On average a woman can safely lose 2 lbs of fat a week; a man 3 lbs. Anything more is usually water (during the first two weeks) or lean muscle (something you do not want).

There are things you can do that will help speed up your fat loss and your metabolism: Eat enough . 10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories to ensure you are fulfilling basal metabolic functions. You do not want your body under stress, and eating too little will stress it; you'll find it harder to lose fat. Eat more frequent smaller meals. This will keep blood sugar stablized and your metabolism up. Drink your water . 64 oz a day and another 8 oz for every 25 lbs you wish to lose. Water is what keeps you hydrated and flushes out the toxins. You drink the water; you lose the weight. Lift weights . Nothing burns fat like lean muscle, lifting weights / resistance training will build lean muscle and burn fat while you're sleeping, watching TV, typing on the computer.

Cheers,
Nat

ruby
Fri, Dec-28-01, 11:34
Hell0 Natruschka,
Thanks very much for your great info. I have the Protein Power book and will follow your suggestions. It was great to get your reply and is encouraging. I'm also from Ontario.

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-28-01, 11:40
Ruby, hopefully you're not in the part of Ontario that is laying under a deep blanket of snow!

IMHO, Protein Power is a great reference for this WOL (way of life), it will answer many of the questions you have.

Happy Low Carbing,
Nat