PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ok to introduce cereals???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

missatkins
Wed, Feb-01-06, 03:31
Hi, Just wondered if anyone had introduced cereals (porridge/oat bran) into their diets. I follow the low carb way of eating, but sometimes I do miss cereal. Also, as I suffer from terrible constipation, I am wondering if this may help. My question is, has anyone ever introduced cereals and, if so, what were the results?

kevinpa
Wed, Feb-01-06, 03:54
Hi, Just wondered if anyone had introduced cereals (porridge/oat bran) into their diets. I follow the low carb way of eating, but sometimes I do miss cereal. Also, as I suffer from terrible constipation, I am wondering if this may help. My question is, has anyone ever introduced cereals and, if so, what were the results?

Here is a thread in the breakfast part of the recipe forum.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143872

I'm sure if you look there you will find others also in that section about cereal.

foxgluvs
Wed, Feb-01-06, 03:55
You might want to concider going over to a plan where you can have that kind of thing in your diet. I do South Beach and you are alowed an alowance of oat bran etc in your diet - if you want to know more about what you can/can't eat on SB then visit the link to the SB foods in my signature.

I often hear of people missing stuff and wonder why they don't find a plan which suits them better.

I'm not knocking atkins, I did it for over a year, but finding a plan that I could live with long term really helped me!

Good luck :)

HalfPass
Wed, Feb-01-06, 04:33
I have a breakfast cereal every morning made of flax seed, wheat bran and when I am not being really careful, gound almond or pecan. I have eaten this even at indiction carb level, though it is not technically allowed. I mix both(or the three) ingredients with some water, microwave a few minutes and eat with half and half and splenda. Sometimes I add some cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It is YUMMY and usually the only sweet thing I want all day. I got the idea from a premade cerial I used to buy that was discontinued. I just guess on the amount of ingredients. Eat this and you are pretty sure to be regular. Flax has lots of other health benifits too.

Kristine
Wed, Feb-01-06, 07:34
I often hear of people missing stuff and wonder why they don't find a plan which suits them better.

I respectfully disagree. It shouldn't be necessary to plan-hop when each plan has you adding these foods back, anyway. I've read lots of books and incorporated different ideas, but I've never had to change the "Plan" field in my stats.

BellaLinda
Wed, Feb-01-06, 19:51
I have a copy of The Four Corners Diet, which is what I'm more or less following right now, and it has a pretty good recipe for a low-carb hot cereal. Take 2 tablespoons each wheat bran & ground flax and mix in about 1/2 c boiling water. This is pretty much exactly what HalfPass just described. This has 10.95g carbs total and 8.6g fiber, so only 2.35 g net carbs per serving. And because of the flax seeds, it's pretty filling.

The amount of water is to taste, the book says to use 1/3 to 1/2 c water; I use the larger amount because I like that consistency. It's got a good flavor to it, IMO. I've even added a bit more water & given it to my older 2 girls for breakfast. If a two-year-old will eat it, it can't be that bad, right? ;)