PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Protein Shake recommendations??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Moi
Thu, Dec-27-01, 13:59
Slimfast powder is too high in carbs eh? too bad, it tastes so good! lol.

I've never bought protein powders before. help! Do you make them with milk or water? Do they have added vitamins and minerals like slimfast does?

Desperately looking for a GOOD TASTING chocolate protein powder shake, any brand recommendations pleeeeeease?

THANKS!

Moi

DoodleBug
Thu, Dec-27-01, 14:59
Hi Moi!
I really like the Keto brand shakes. So far I have tried Chocolate, Vanilla and Banana Cream Pie. The vanilla is ok, but I really like the Chocolate and Banana Cream. I put 5 ice cubes in the blender and chop them into little chips, then I add a cup of water, a splash of heavy cream and 2 scoops of the shake powder and blend well. It is really good and thick! I order them on Carbsmart or Netrition.
Hugs,
Carrie
:sunny:

Moi
Thu, Dec-27-01, 17:04
hey thanks! are these available in stores or on the net only? I don't have the luxury of ordering off the net, being in Canada it just becomes too expensive. Do they taste really chocolately good like regular chocolate milk might?

Meantime, I just went to GNC and got what they recommended, I told them I was concerned with taste and they recommended their biggest seller: Isopure Low Carb. I just tried some with water and then with milk and either way eeeeeewwwwwwwwwww...... brraaaaccckkkk.... i'm so disgusted! it has that "ensure" taste... and aftertaste. They said I'd get a full refund if i don't like it but, still, now i'm afraid to try anymore! bblech! Has anyone else tried this brand? How does it compare to others?

Are they all like this and I just have to get used to it or what? i'm gonna wait for more recommendations!!

Egads, :daze: i gotta drown my tastebuds now with green tea, bleech!

lol

lisaf
Thu, Dec-27-01, 18:58
Here's how I make my protein shakes palatable... I think it's around 6 carbs and roughly 500 calories (30 g fat, 28 g protein)

3 ice cubes
2 tablespoons soya protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
1/4 cup ice cold water
1/4 cup cream (usually 18%, 35% thickens up too much if you blend for long)
1/4 cup whole yogurt (I use the Libery plain which has 10% mf)
1/4 cup whole cottage cheese or ricotta
1-2 tbsp Splenda
1 tsp vanilla

Blend away for a long time. It's much better, though very "dairy". The cottage cheese isn't completely necessary, just make sure you substitute more water. In summer I'll often add some fresh blueberries or strawberries (1/4 cup).

Good luck!

Lisa

Glenda
Fri, Dec-28-01, 09:38
I use SISU Body Elite Whey - Protein Isolate Powder. It has 114 calories and 3 carbs per scoopful. I usually add some water, ice cubes, some cream, and often a chunk of cream cheese and they are pretty good. I have both vanilla and chocolate. I bought mine at the health food store here in Victoria, so I'm sure you should be able to find it. It's manufactured in Canada. Check out their website:

www.sisuhealth.com

Glenda

Moi
Fri, Dec-28-01, 10:19
Thanks Glenda... and now for the MOST important question....

does it taste good? i mean REALLY taste good? :roll:

IslandGirl
Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:33
one woman's YUM is another woman's YUCH! ...

We've all had to try a variety of products to get a taste we're familiar with or like... and often have to add things, like extra cocoa or extra sweetener or extra cottage cheese...

You, too, will have to learn your own tastebuds AND the products available to you. Speaking of which, try some reading through the various Forums right here; there's a Search button up there on right, and we've even got some obvious "thread" titles, like Product Reviews where you will find protein powders and shakes have been discussed for a long long time.

Personally (and I've been doing this LC for 3 years and hanging around here for 1 year, all from here in Canada, eh?) I found the To Diet For Chocolate to be 'okay', but their Strawberry 'excellent!'. Widely available in Canada (try Shopper's, PharmaSave or Superstore). Keto Chocolate Fudge (online only) is good. Dynawhey Chocolate Banana is 'barely ok' because it takes one heck of a lot of beating and has a bit of an aftertaste (Superstore).

You takes yer pick and takes yer chances!

Kathryn
Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:23
In stores here in the US [Walgreens, WalMart] there are shake mixes made by CARB SOLUTIONS which I find pretty tasty.
2 scoops = 120 cals/2g carbs

I mix 2 scoops chocolate and 1 vanilla w/4 ice cubes, 1 tsp Splenda, water and a splash of heavy cream. I nurse this baby all morning long, it's so filling.

Good luck in your taste testing! May you quickly find what works for you!

lisaf
Thu, Jan-03-02, 11:26
Judi (is it "i" or "y"?)

I bought the todietfor chocolate powder ... but looking at the counts, its not adding up?!? It seems like they aren't accounting for some calories. Plus I thought the carb count seemed low given how sweet it seems (maybe my locarb palate is over sensitive) and the fact is has fructose listed as the fourth ingredient. My quick net search didn't give me anything. Do you know anything about the company? I believe its an imported product.

Lisa

IslandGirl
Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:49
LisaF, Doreen and I had a very interesting discussion on this a ways back (they've changed the label some since) about those very things, how sweet it seemed and what-the-heck-are-HSHs and all kinds of stuff that will probably pretty well answer your question.

Firstly, run that puppy through the LowCarb Tools:Hidden Carbs Inspector from the orange menu bar above (which wasn't available at the time we "oldtimers" :rolleyes: discussed this before) and you will probably see your suspicions confirmed...

Secondly, here's a link to one of the related discussions (about the HSH or Hydrolyzed Starch Hydrolysates), a thread in the LowCarb Kitchens forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=6544&highlight=HSH

and (I did a search for you on "to diet for"... right here in the Forum), there's this thread:
"to diet for" users - question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=12704&highlight=NuLife)
and this thread:
"to diet for" lowcarb shake mixes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=479&highlight=NuLife) (a really informative thread this one).

I hope this helps you out, LisaF.

There's a lot of information there, but you also get a gander :D at some of the tools available to you here at this great website, such as the Hidden Carbs Inspector and the Search (the Search is SOOOOO useful because 2000 or so LowCarbers are bound to have discussed a lot of the same concerns you might have, eh?)

PS: of course, it's JudI :p
PPS: my favourite flavour is, as I said before, the Strawberry . Chocolate I like to make myself with REAL quantities of dark unsweetened genuine cocoa powder... which has some carbs of its own, but what can ya do?

lisaf
Fri, Jan-04-02, 09:42
Thanks JudI!!!! :p

The links were really helpful! I don't know why I just assumed it wouldn't have been discussed before. You would think that after 5 months on this forum, I'd realize that EVERYTHING has been discussed before!

Have a great day!

Lisa

John2001
Mon, Jan-28-02, 05:50
Everybody's tastes are different, but I found one I presonally really like.

"Carbolite " soy shake mix :comes in Vanilla and Chocolate, it's zero carbs, 24-g of protein, 90%soy protein, and spenda sweetened.

I mix with 8-oz water, 2-eggs, a dash of heavy cream, and a little flax seed oil.

Your talking 2-3 carbs with adding in the cream and eggs.
The good thing is, it tastes good in my opinion.
I had bought some sweetener to add to the mix, but found I liked it without. Was too sweet when I added it.

Been using this mix for breakfast, during the week, when I have little time to prepare a meal. I find, it doesn't stall my weight loss, fills me up, is an easy way to get flax seed oil into my diet and it taste good.

I buy a couple of these on the net, thru the netrition link on the main page. There 1-lb cans and think they are about 10-bucks US. Not bad.

Just my 2-cents.

Cheers, John