PDA

View Full Version : Need to try again with help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HarmonyRos
Mon, Jan-30-06, 07:57
Hello all. I have tried and failed at many many diet plans. I guess that statement has been said by many people. I always have this physical and mental breakdown this time of the year. First comes the holidays, and then cold weather in a house filled with leftover goodies and no willpower to either exercise much or stop eating comfort foods. And every year, when I put the pounds back on, there are always a few more. Last autumn, I tried doing Medifast, and had a little success, but not the quick weight loss experienced by so many. And despite what many people on that plan might say, it is really not something a person can do endlessly. I now need to lose about 100 pounds, but would be thrilled to find a way to just move in the right direction. I have tried low-carb dieting before with some success, but not the same losses that so many others have had. So, evidentally, I am doing something wrong. I am getting ready to start a new job soon, and will be on the go. So, I need to find something that will both work for me, and also be a "way of life" plan. Yes, I have read the message boards, books, etc, to see the "rules", and tried to figure out what I always do wrong, but I am still unsure. I kind of think that it is a combination of eating too many calories, and not doing planned exercise. I have tried to just eat low-carb meals, and drink water, but I never lose more than 10 to 15 pounds, and I quickly put that back on with the least bit of cheating. I guess my question is this: Do you have to also watch fats and calories to be successful? And can this work without finding time to do some exercise plan? I have a full day, and finding time to do something else is hard for me. I am more inactive in the winter, but work hard at many things (gardening, etc) in the warm months. I was also wondering about cheese. I have always eaten that in these programs, but can it be the culprit? I put parmesean cheese on my eggs every morning. Plus in my salads, etc. Also, what about coffee? I do drink a lot of decaf, using sweetner and powdered creamer. I really need to find something that will work for me this year. I have a lot of responsibilites coming up. Any pointers on how to stop eating junk and get back on track??

Lesle
Mon, Jan-30-06, 09:23
Hi and welcome to the group! You will find lots of help and support here.
Like you, I have been "dieting" almost my entire adult life, and I am very close to the same age as you are. The only thing I learned from all those diets, and the Slimfast, and the other 'snake oil' diet plans is that none of them work!
The only thing that works for me is eating a low carb diet, and sticking with it.
If you post a few sample menus of how you are eating right now, you will find you get lots of input back from people here in the forum. That might help you see if you are doing anything you shouldn't be doing during the Induction phase of Atkins, and how you might be able to improve.
Also, there is the very important mindset that this is NOT a diet at all. It is totally changing the way we eat, and how we deal with food. For me, the psychological part is the hardest. I miss the junk food, and the sweets especially, but I have to keep reminding myself that there is no room in my life for food that will kill me. And, since I am 53, and have a strong family of history of diabetes, I know for a fact that sugar and processed foods WILL in fact kill me, if I let too many of them in my life.
I have been struggling for a couple years now to stay on Atkins, and I admit, I fall off the wagon more than I should....but I keep trying...and I will ALWAYS keep trying. And I know you will too! We both deserve to enjoy this part of our lives, healthy and happy, and a lot lighter, too!
Take care....and keep trying.
Lesle
PS-If you want to talk, my email is rose_32008~yahoo.com

Carina8
Mon, Jan-30-06, 09:42
Yup, I'm in the same boat too (and only an inch taller than you!)

I'm back "again", so not just for the first time. This time I've decided to make it a way of life.

I decided on Christmas day that starting Dec 26th I would not have ANY refined sugar until Christmas eve 06.

So here I am 5 weeks later, doing low carb, quite successfully this time and have had NO sugar!

If I cheat, it MUST remain a "healthy" cheat. I will occasionally cheat with some popcorn or with something wholegrain. Though I haven't done that very often. My average is once every 10 or 15 days i'd say.

Please feel free to drop in my journal any time you have questions. I'll do my best to answer them if I can. I'll drop by yours when you get one too!

:rheart:
Carina

loserinnc
Mon, Jan-30-06, 13:47
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I think that Lesle summed it up perfectly. It would be good if you start a journal and post in it everything that eat for the day. Then the older members will pop in on you and give you advice and support. You can do it if you set your mind to it. I had trouble at first but everytime I wanted to cheat I would go look in the mirror. That would remind me that I wasn't the person that I want to be and why I am doing this to start with. Also come to the forum when you need encouragment. Look at the success stories and read journals. This site is a HUGE help.
YOU CAN DO IT!