PDA

View Full Version : Is lowcarb bread low glycemic?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nawchem
Fri, Jan-27-06, 18:58
I'm thinking of adding this to my diet and was wondering what it does to blood sugar? I'm very sensitive to some foods regardless of carb count I get low blood sugar from potatoes, aspartame, sugar alchohols and coffee. If it makes a difference I'm dreaming of making some big fat cheese burgers with it.

taming
Fri, Jan-27-06, 20:46
You will react to it as you do to its component parts. It is not a single ingredient food, like coffee or an apple. Instead it is made up of various flours/grains etc. Your best bet would be to take a Bg level, eat a piece, and then monitor both how you are feeling and changes in your level.

Now, you can certainly have a response to the bread eaten alone that you would not have with the same bread eaten with a burger, because as with other foods, the GI affect of lc bread, like any other food, is affected by the what you eat it with--the whole glycemic index vs. glycemic load issue.

judyr
Sat, Jan-28-06, 00:21
I personally have trouble with most low-carb bread if it has wheat in it. I really stall. My husband however has no problem at all. He eats it often. Recently he has started making some bread with no wheat at all - only flax meal. That actually helps my blood sugar. You might want to play around with the breads until you find one you like and do well with.

nawchem
Sat, Jan-28-06, 11:55
Thanks for your opinions. I really want to try it although after what you have said I have an intuition its not a good thing for me. If I just try it one week I won't have that much to lose if it doesn't work for me.
Thanks a lot!

cs_carver
Tue, Jan-31-06, 13:00
If you were prone to heartburn in the old days, you might be careful to take note of other symptoms besides stalling. Some of the time, the LC bread products have more gluten than their "normal" equivalents. For me, the gluten has its own problems, apart from its effect on my blood sugar.

In my body, the effects of a gluten reaction take about 24 hours to appear--in my "armchair physiology," that's about when the foods are hitting my large intestine. The real explanation may be very different from that.

kyrasdad
Tue, Jan-31-06, 13:05
There is a good Wonder Bread "Italian" bread product that seems not to stall or otherwise bother me. I have it a few times a week. It's more carbs than a LC tortilla, but about half the calories so I consider it a good tradeoff. I smear a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on it and I'm not hungry for hours.

I use it often as an afternoon snack. YMMV, of course. It stalls some and not others.

nawchem
Tue, Jan-31-06, 18:58
I looked at walmart this weekend and I couldn't find any lowcarb bread! I ended up with oatbran pitas. You called it cscarver the 2nd ingredient was gluten. I've eaten one everday since sat and haven't lost any weight. I was getting depressed and just realized when I saw this thread again the pita might be the reason. Oatbran pitas don't taste that good anyway. :thdown:

kyrasdad next time I'm in the regular grocery store I'll look for the wonderbread. Maybe once a week I can have it.

belfrybat
Fri, Feb-03-06, 07:27
Many products that were called "low carb" no longer carry that name due to marketing issues. Try Nature's Own Wheat and Fiber bread. It's really pretty good and only has an ECC of 5 grams.