PDA

View Full Version : true stall

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

steffie123
Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:02
I know a lot of people use the term "Stall" very loosely, but I think I am experiencing one for the first time. Before, they were usually self induced stalls caused by carb creep. I have been on induction for 4 weeks. I lost 4 pounds the first week, and have not lost anything since. I have been following strict induction and have even been tracking my food in Fitday. I do not go over 20 carbs at all. I do not eat Franken foods and stick to REAL food only. A typical day for me is as follows:

B: 3 hb eggs, coffee w/2ts heavy cream
L: tuna & mayo
D: chicken & salad
S: sf jello & 1 diet soda

That is it! My calories range from 1000-1300 depending on what I eat. I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated at this point. ANY SUGGESTIONS as to what I am doing wrong.

I also excersise 40-55 minutes 5 days per week, cardio and abs/weights, I am currently hypothyroid and taking synthroid and have testing normal very recently.

PLEASE reply with any suggestions. I am getting very depressed.

Aetheana
Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:28
I don't know if this will help at all, but some hypothyroid patients seem to do better with 50g of carbs/day.

When I first read through your post, before I got finished, I immediately thought I would post "Check your thyroid..."

I wish you the best of luck. Weight loss is a pain, isn't it?

danabear
Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:42
Maybe try more variety. I think if we eat the same thing all the time our bodies go into "conserve" mode. Let it know that there is an abundance of food around!

nets33
Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:42
1,000 to 1,300 calories seems low for someone who is exercising 5x a week for 40 to 55 minutes. In order to lose weight you have to eat. Yes, I know it sounds odd, but it is true....

I'd also say that at four weeks into this you are probably hitting a small stall but it certainly isn't unexpected! Your body has lost some weight and needs some time to re-adjust before losing again.

IMHO I'd suggest taking up your calories a bit and be patient. I've had stalls that lasted upwards of three months. :)

K

camaromom
Tue, Jan-24-06, 15:56
It doesn't sound like a whole lot of calories or healthy veggies for someone who is exercising. Try to get some veggies in with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try mixing it up a little bit, as someone already posted your body gets used to the same thing all the time. Change up your exercise to keep your body guessing as well.

southbel
Tue, Jan-24-06, 16:28
I am hypo, taking Armour, and I have found a bit of carb cycling works for me. I don't go overboard with the carb cycling, but do up my carbs for a few weeks after not losing for a while. Then, I go back to Induction levels. I think this keeps my metabolism guessing or something, I don't know. It hasn't been a quick weight loss, but it has helped, IMO. When I up my carbs, I don't lose at all, just maintain, but when I am on the "down" cycle, I do lose.

zorra_1
Tue, Jan-24-06, 18:01
As counterproductive as it may seem, I agree with the others about increasing your calories and making sure you get most of your carbs from veggies. Based on your "typical" menu, I'd be surprised that you're even breaking 10-15 carbs a day?? I'd add at least another serving of veggies a day (minimum).

Hope everything picks back up soon! :)

black57
Tue, Jan-24-06, 18:17
I really do not think that you are eating enough. Don't think so much about the calories. Think of variety. I ate scrambled eggs with cheese and zuchini mixed in. I also had sausage or bacon with that for breakfast. lunch was usually a salad with cheese, cucumbers and brocolli and a chicken breast. Dinner was a piece of steak with mustard greens. These are example of what I ate while on induction. One thing I did not do...I did not make a diet out of this. I enjoyed myself and I like to see everyone enjoy themselves on this.

statjunk
Wed, Jan-25-06, 07:18
1,000 to 1,300 calories seems low for someone who is exercising 5x a week for 40 to 55 minutes. In order to lose weight you have to eat. Yes, I know it sounds odd, but it is true....

I'd also say that at four weeks into this you are probably hitting a small stall but it certainly isn't unexpected! Your body has lost some weight and needs some time to re-adjust before losing again.

IMHO I'd suggest taking up your calories a bit and be patient. I've had stalls that lasted upwards of three months. :)

K

Ditto!

Tom

Luzyanna
Wed, Jan-25-06, 11:40
I agree...it does seem like you aren't eating enough. Try upping your carbs for a few days and tricking your system. I've found that Atkins is one diet where you have to constantly change your eating to knock yourself back into weight loss. Hang in there and do not give up. I'm just coming out of an 8 week stall so I understand how frustrating it is.

manaburrn
Thu, Jan-26-06, 11:06
Looks like you're not getting enough fat. Swap the chicken for hamburger or steak, swap the tuna for a fattier fish, and instead of 3 hard-boiled eggs, scramble 2 with heavy cream and fry in butter (I actually do this in the microwave in the breakroom).

zajack
Thu, Jan-26-06, 12:13
Ditto to what everyone else has said...but also you might want to measure once a week because, as weird as it sounds, you might be getting smaller without losing on the scale.

steffie123
Thu, Jan-26-06, 12:41
Thank you all for your suggestions. As of yesterday, I have upped my calories and carbs. I am going to try to ignore my calories and up my carbs to 30-40 per day. I have had a few people tell me that with Hypo, you need to be higher in carbs. I will let you know what happens in the next couple of weeks.

GraceGirl
Thu, Jan-26-06, 19:13
Yeah, it sounds like you're not eating enough. The more you move, the more you need food!!!! If I don't eat enough, I don't lose!!

nobunthanx
Fri, Jan-27-06, 17:52
There is an excellent article in one of my mags that’s also available as a 10 day course for free too.
You can get the full info from the website at
www.lowcarbandatkins.com
It certainly worked for me.

All the best
NBT