PDA

View Full Version : normal for increase in blemishes?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

engineergirl
Mon, Jan-23-06, 15:37
This morning I noticed that I seem to have a 'crop' of blemishes on my chin (the area where I usually get the odd one, but never more than one at a time). It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I've been back eating low-carb - is this normal? Why is it happening? (and will it stop? :eek: )

Alicatspjz
Mon, Jan-23-06, 15:44
My skin always looks fabulous when LCing...except during TOM...maybe the hormones are acting up? Some though, I have read, have worse skin. Different for everyone. Hope it's temporary for you.

AmandainBC
Mon, Jan-23-06, 16:29
My skin has been great since I've been doing the low carb thing. Are you drinking enough water? I could see myself breaking out if I wasn't drinking a ton of water. I hope it get's better.

Rosebud
Mon, Jan-23-06, 16:37
This morning I noticed that I seem to have a 'crop' of blemishes on my chin (the area where I usually get the odd one, but never more than one at a time). It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I've been back eating low-carb - is this normal? Why is it happening? (and will it stop? :eek: )
Yes, this happens to a lot of us. It is temporary, so before long your skin will be back to its usual beautiful self.

The reason is said to be the same reason that some women have changes in their menstrual cycles once they start low carbing. And that is because our hormones live in our fat cells, so as those fat cells are losing fat, some of the hormones are leaking out and running all over the place causing all manner of mayhem. If you think about it, we are having similar hormone storms to the beginning of puberty. ;)

So if you think of it as a "good" (and temporary!) thing because you are losing fat, it might help.

Cheers, and I hope it won't take long for your skin to return to normal. :)

Rosebud:rose:

zorra_1
Tue, Jan-24-06, 07:44
Yes, this happens to a lot of us. It is temporary, so before long your skin will be back to its usual beautiful self.

I had some minor break outs the first time I did Induction. I saw it as part of clearing out the toxins! Because since then, the only time my skin breaks out (besides the occassional hormonal issue), is when I go off plan and eat sweets. My skin looks a lot better and I think that's largely due to the fats I eat.

engineergirl
Tue, Jan-24-06, 08:13
I recall that in 2001, the 1st time I did Atkins, my skin was better than normal. Since then, I've had 2 kids & been nursing for basically 4 years. I'm sure my hormones are still sorting themselves out (I just stopped nursing in Nov). I just realized that it is that TOTM, so hopefully it will be temporary :p

fressca
Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:28
EngineerGirl, my step-daughter, 24 and naturally thin as a rail, has had a terrible time with breakouts on her chin, sometimes going all the way down her neck, over the last year. Oddly, quite a few of her friends have had the same problem. Quite by chance an accupuncturist mentioned to her that she must be eating too much chicken. And she DOES eat a lot of chicken and eggs. The accupuncturist said that chickens are fed a lot of hormones these days, and that affects some people's skin adversely, in the way that Rosebud mentioned. DD now eats only free-range chicken and eggs and the problem has cleared up, much to her delight!

engineergirl
Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:30
fressca:

that's interesting - we do eat a lot of chicken....................

food for thought

Josiemk
Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:46
Also I wanted to add that the chin breakout is normally related to hormones as well.

southbel
Tue, Jan-24-06, 11:31
I have had the same problem. It's like puberty revisited! (which I am just loving...NOT) Anyway, I am drinking lots and lots of water, well over 100oz per day. I hope this is a really temporary effect because I am a fanatic about my skin. I'm the one that only buys MAC cosmetics, has all of the skin care products, etc. I just hate to see blemishes on my face and it's like my entire face is one big blemish.

I pray that y'all are right and this will clear up because ughhhh, I can't stand it.

engineergirl
Tue, Jan-24-06, 11:36
I forgot to mention that I am drinking TONS of water, so I don't think that's the problem. Hope things return to normal soon!

fireandice
Wed, Jan-25-06, 06:33
I had bad breakouts when I first started LCing. Now my face is clear and my skin is great-better than before. Just hang in there, I'm sure it will clear up.

Mel

PlayDoh
Wed, Jan-25-06, 09:19
my skin just keeps getting worse. not only that, the whole bod has had a massive breakout of ugly spiderveins. they are everywhere and came on very suddenly and in so many places, which is frustrating because i know they won't go away. most of them you can't see, but i have one on my nose :( so i don't know what to tell you because for me, the situation is not improving.

Josiemk
Thu, Jan-26-06, 07:33
my skin just keeps getting worse. not only that, the whole bod has had a massive breakout of ugly spiderveins. they are everywhere and came on very suddenly and in so many places, which is frustrating because i know they won't go away. most of them you can't see, but i have one on my nose :( so i don't know what to tell you because for me, the situation is not improving.

Have you recently been under alot of stress.
Sounds like your having some type of inflammatory problem you should look in to the Perricone Antiinflamatory diet, it's also low carb, even though he doesn't mention it but it's basically fish, nuts, seeds, fruits & veggies.

BTW he's a dermatologist named Nicholas Perricone, if you haven't heard of him.

serrelind
Thu, Jan-26-06, 07:46
Think of something that you introduced to your body for the very first time on this diet. That might be the cause for your breakouts. There are some lowcarb foods that people tend to be allergic to, like eggs, nuts, soy, gluten, milk. Also someone mentioned that if you increase your meat intake, and lots of meats are pumped with hormones, steroids, antibiotics -- can't be good for the skin.

twilliam
Sun, Mar-25-07, 07:43
Fire and Ice, your a great model...how are things going these days...I started a low carb plan in Nov. 20th 07 to date went from 226lbs to 192lbs. I'm
6 feet tall and feel great. Those carbs really can make a difference. Love to chat with you sometim

lisaz8605
Sun, Mar-25-07, 07:58
I just wanted to add that my hair, nails and skin were wonderful this fall (while LCing) but that currently they are suffering a bit (still nice enough, but things like break-outs) and I'm positive it's STRESS. I'm feeling uber-hormonal and having a LOT of stress (currently trying to sell my Mom's house of 40+ years and move her in with us while maintaining our photography business and home) and my skin is paying for it. I'm guzzling water, taking my vitamins and eating well...it's the best I can do for now.

I think as with any breakout or change-up, if you keep doing the right things, this will pass eventually! Hang in there :D

3shewolf8
Sun, Mar-25-07, 14:50
My skin breaks out when I carb overload. I notice that if I slip a bit, and eat too many carbs (usually by accident) I will ALWAYS have breakouts. Usually around my mouth and on my chin. My hormone breakouts are always around my nose.

LukeA
Sun, Mar-25-07, 19:40
Also if you are exercising more often the increase in how much you sweat makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which then equate to more blemishes.

BoBoGuy
Sun, Mar-25-07, 20:02
Have you recently been under alot of stress.
Sounds like your having some type of inflammatory problem you should look in to the Perricone Antiinflamatory diet, it's also low carb, even though he doesn't mention it but it's basically fish, nuts, seeds, fruits & veggies.

BTW he's a dermatologist named Nicholas Perricone, if you haven't heard of him.

IMHO, Perricone is a nut!

Quack Watch (http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/perricone.html)

Bo

Rain_girl
Sun, Mar-25-07, 21:09
EngineerGirl, my step-daughter, 24 and naturally thin as a rail, has had a terrible time with breakouts on her chin, sometimes going all the way down her neck, over the last year. Oddly, quite a few of her friends have had the same problem. Quite by chance an accupuncturist mentioned to her that she must be eating too much chicken. And she DOES eat a lot of chicken and eggs. The accupuncturist said that chickens are fed a lot of hormones these days, and that affects some people's skin adversely, in the way that Rosebud mentioned. DD now eats only free-range chicken and eggs and the problem has cleared up, much to her delight!

Very interesting...thanks for the info! :)

Rani

CoffeNinja
Sun, Mar-25-07, 21:41
I figure out dairy and possiable some other foods cause me to break out, I started taking enzymes for them and they pretty much went away. I just take a multi spectrum enzyme formula. If you have any idea what foods are causing you probs, you can google enzymes and see what kind you need to take, if that's your prob. Also neutrogena on the spot works really well for drying them up. It;s got like 2.5% benzoyl peroxide instead of like the 10% that's normally used. This keeps your skin from becomeing over dry and your face from producting oil. It works really well for me. Birth control can give you spider veins

Josiemk
Mon, Mar-26-07, 11:35
IMHO, Perricone is a nut!

Quack Watch (http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/perricone.html)

Bo

I personally don't fallow his diet because I hate sea food Plus I think his products are over priced. I can get something that works just as good but for less.

I don't take that quack watch site seriuosly either that guy puts down low carb diets & pushes the eat less & exersize for weight loss. If that really worked peple wouldn't be looking for other ways to lose. I was never an over eater plus I used to work out for 2 hours a day 5 days a week & it did nothing for me. I even tried eating 1/2 of what I normally eat & it left me starving myself.

But I believe their is some truth behind the Perricone diet. I have ance & sensitive skin & when I low carbed my ance went away & so did my redness.

lilli
Mon, Mar-26-07, 21:27
Also if you are exercising more often the increase in how much you sweat makes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which then equate to more blemishes.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. My skin always looks fabulous after i work out. I think it's probably the increased blood flow. Sweating is supposed to release toxins. It's the whole point of certain types of exercises- to sweat a lot, get rid of toxins, etc., so you look better.

Anyways, that aside, i have somewhat unconventional advice to those with skin problems..I've recommended this to quite a few people, and the handful that actually tried it, now vouche for it's effectiveness.
Use apple cider vinegar as a toner!!!! I use it alone, on a moistened cotton ball, whenever my skin looks dull, or when i get the occasional breakout. You can also dilute it 50/50 with water, or 2 parts vinegar, to one part water. It's pretty strong on it's own, though.
I swear to god, it works, and if you give it a try for a couple days, you very likely might see an improvement. Organic, minimally processed vinegar is best. I like Bragg's.

LukeA
Mon, Mar-26-07, 21:49
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. My skin always looks fabulous after i work out. I think it's probably the increased blood flow. Sweating is supposed to release toxins. It's the whole point of certain types of exercises- to sweat a lot, get rid of toxins, etc., so you look better.

Sorry I didnt clarify in my post. You are right in the part that sweating works very well to rid your body of toxins. That is why when you suddenly start exercising a lot when you werent this toxins as they are released clog your pores and cause blemishes. This is only short term! Once you exercise and sweat regularly the toxins are gone for the most part and your skin gets to be better than ever! ;)