PDA

View Full Version : just starting out here! any advice?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

darbabi
Mon, Jan-23-06, 07:51
Good morning everyone!
I am planning to start atkins next week. I've read the book and hope to transition smoothly. I started packing on pounds in the last few years and can't use the babies as an excuse anymore seeing as though they are 12 and 10 and I'd like to be fabulous and 40 so I've got 2.5 yrs to get it together! I'm pretty much a straight line thinker and would like to keep things simple during induction. Can anyone give me some pointers? I see my next 2 weeks, after a gorge fest of sushi of course, filled with bacon, eggs and pork rinds, lol. Can someone help me out with the bacon thing? I've read that bacon cured with nitrates is a no-no but is there bacon out there that's not? what other kinds of simple, and I do mean simple things can I eat, take to work, etc. that will fit in my plan?

darbabi

Tjenxs
Mon, Jan-23-06, 08:10
Hi!

Just wanted to welcome you and wish you good luck. I don't have any information for you about the bacon issue, but I'm sure some of the older members can provide you with some insight. Have a great one! :D

loserinnc
Mon, Jan-23-06, 08:13
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your journey. You have come to the right place for support!
I am not sure about the bacon thing. I am sure that someone else will be along to help you.
I work 2nd shift so I have most of the day to prepare my supper but when I don't have time, salad is always a good bet. I keep ground beef already fixed with taco seasoning in the freezer and just grab a bowl of it and a bowl of salad to take to work. I heat the meat up and pour it over my salad when I am ready to eat. You can do any meat this way. I like to cook up a few things on the weekend so that I will have something ready if I need it. You can find alot of hints and tips in the recipe section.

darbabi
Tue, Jan-31-06, 07:11
Thanks for the welcome. No one seems to know about the bacon thing! Lol. 3 people responded but have no idea. Can I ask how long you've done atkins and how it's going for you? How much have you lost and in how much time? Any food ideas that are quick and easy? Have you been eating bacon? Lol.

Darlene

darbabi
Tue, Jan-31-06, 07:13
The taco thing is a good idea.How many carbs in that? I'm still on induction and trying not to lose my mind! How has your experience gone if you don't mind my asking. How many lbs. in how much time? Any other fab ideas as far as food goes?

Darlene

Kristine
Tue, Jan-31-06, 08:53
Hi and welcome. :wave:

The nitrate issue is one of safety concern, and not necessarily a no-no for the plan to be successful. I don't have nitrate-free bacon available at my local stores, so I've always just used the regular stuff. Mind you, I buy maybe three packs of bacon a year... I'm not crazy about it, I just like it for something different or to use in a specific recipe. Your milage may vary.

I have lots of advice for newbies, but I don't like hogging up forum space with long-winded babbling about me ;) , so I put it on a seperate site (http://home.cogeco.ca/~klj1122/lowcarbcorner/). :)

Bon appetite!

macdaddy
Tue, Jan-31-06, 10:07
find an organic butchershop somewhere near you. Or ask your local grocer to look into wellshire farms or hidden stream, I'm sure there are more companies availble to them. but those two have a few nitrate free products.

loserinnc
Tue, Jan-31-06, 10:55
Hey Darlene,
I hope that you are having a great day.
The carbs in the taco salad depends on how much you eat. I have been eating it like crazy and have still lost 18 pounds since Jan 1.
I also make pizza. I get a plate, spray a little Pam on it, fill it evenly with shredded cheddar cheese (not too thick) and microwave it for 2 minutes and 30 seconds (1 minute at a time then check it) until it is crispy. Then I add my Sugar Free Hunts Spaghetti sauce on top of the cheese. Add pepperoni and whatever toppings you like. Put it in the oven for a few minutes and you have a pizza. Sometimes it is a little messy but I eat it with a fork. :yum:
The carbs in this varies too depending on what you put on it. Just make sure that everything you use is on the induction menu.
I found this recipe in the recipe section also using cream cheese for the crust. Haven't tried that one yet. There are many good recipes on the site, just look around. I am sure that you can find some that you like.
And yes, I do eat bacon but not the nitrate free kind!!!LOL. I haven't been able to find it in my area. I don't eat it often though.
Hope you have a wonderful day. And Good Luck. If you keep coming to the site and looking around you can find all kinds of good info. You can do it. It is really very easy once you get past the 1st week.

Baleigh1
Tue, Jan-31-06, 13:54
I eat nitrate bacon and seem to be doing fine. Also, I didn't want to get bored with induction so I started surfing the net and found some great websites with induction menus. Here are a few http://users3.ev1.net/%7Efontlady/menus.html and http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-recipes.html. You can also find some other meal ideas from other areas on this site.

Few more things to remember - never get caught hungery without a suitable snack. Drink water. I found that really helps. I drink about 120-160 ounces a day. I know that may seem like a lot, but I now crave it. Keep seeking advice from the great folks on this site. They are wonderful and uplifting.

Take care.