PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed Hunger or Lack of Digestion?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wjzmom
Fri, Jan-20-06, 07:31
Hi all!

It has occurred to me that when I eat very lc and feel full for hours later, that maybe what I'm really feeling is an inability to digest protein and fat.

It's weird bc my stomach feels heavy or congested and even though my stomach feels full, I'll be getting brain signals that I need to eat again.
As if something is missing.

Anyway, I've been wondering if the whole lack of hunger lc promises is really just indigestion.
I have read that animal protein is harder to digest than say veggies etc.

What do you think?
Do any of you feel like this?

GraceGirl
Fri, Jan-20-06, 08:20
Hmmmm....very interesting theory!! I honestly don't know, but it certainly sounds legit!!

And...something is missing: carbs!! Your brain is sending those signals because after years of having plenty of carbohydrates, it suddenly finds a lack thereof.

Kristine
Fri, Jan-20-06, 08:31
Do any of you feel like this?Not me. I think that's what it's supposed to feel like when you stop the blood sugar roller coaster. Food isn't supposed to go right through you, and you should be able to coast for three to six hours between meals, if you eat a good-sized meal as opposed to a snack. Perhaps you're still adjusting, which is normal for any dietary change, or perhaps you're overeating?

I don't buy for one minute that "animal protein is harder to digest." That sounds like animal rights propaganda to me. Vegetables and nuts, perhaps; but legumes and grains have to be cooked, ground or otherwise processed before you can eat them. Yet we evolved eating animals, probably raw.

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-20-06, 11:07
Fat does slow down digestion. I used to do a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet and I always felt congested in the belly, just like you described.

Switching to lower fat, higher protein, that feeling went away.

One of the weird things I experienced with very high fat was I had that congested feeling, yet felt hungry at the same time.